Mark Snow MySpace Page

Rate this topic

Guest goodbye2allthat

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I figured mentioning Raven Wolf would give it away, but you've pursued the wrong "clue" about me. It's a pseudo-Native American symbol for an owl, supposed to be Northwestern US area origin, but it came from stills from one of my other fave shows -- Twin Peaks. For all know it could be something David Lynch concocted that he thought looked "Indian". In the 2nd season of TP, they got into the Black Lodge/White Lodge mytharc after "Bob" had given up his "good ride" human form and escaped. The giant had already given Agent Cooper some terse clues, one of which was "the owls are not what they seem" then the whole mess started to come together as being something better defined by Native American belief than the white man's philosophy or religion...And we still haven't gotten into the "Red Room" and the backward speaking dwarf yet!

The fact that TP was so quirky and weird was what drew me to it originally and it's why I had to have the show on DVD. I'm in the middle of the second season now (and realized I missed some parts of it on the first run...or my memory is failing...'cause I didn't remember some parts at all).

Ahhh, it's of Indian origins. I think the green threw me off. Green seems to be a good Celtic color. I have to confess, I don't remember the symbol from Twin Peaks. When I get a hold of the series on DVD, I think I will have a similar experience to the one you are having. It has now been about 10 years sense I saw ANY of season two, and I think I did miss an occasional episode as well, so a lot of it will seem new to me. There are a lot of great things to look forward to in season two, such as Duchnovney as "Denise", Windom Earl, and Heather Graham. I remember I still liked Heather at the time. TP was the first time I saw her, and I remember being surprised that a couple of guys at work really liked her too. Looking back, it seems strange that I ever thought any guy wouldn't be attracted to her, but I am surprised at how big she has become. I guess my image of her has changed sense TP. I kind of thought of her as an innocent all American girl at the time, but now she seems more like a rich spoiled actress. I don't really pay much attention to her, but she is nice to look at.

Guest SouthernCelt
Ahhh, it's of Indian origins. I think the green threw me off. Green seems to be a good Celtic color. I have to confess, I don't remember the symbol from Twin Peaks. When I get a hold of the series on DVD, I think I will have a similar experience to the one you are having. It has now been about 10 years sense I saw ANY of season two, and I think I did miss an occasional episode as well, so a lot of it will seem new to me. There are a lot of great things to look forward to in season two, such as Duchnovney as "Denise", Windom Earl, and Heather Graham. I remember I still liked Heather at the time. TP was the first time I saw her, and I remember being surprised that a couple of guys at work really liked her too. Looking back, it seems strange that I ever thought any guy wouldn't be attracted to her, but I am surprised at how big she has become. I guess my image of her has changed sense TP. I kind of thought of her as an innocent all American girl at the time, but now she seems more like a rich spoiled actress. I don't really pay much attention to her, but she is nice to look at.

Frankly, I don't remember the symbol from the show either but it appears on a web site that has a lot of screen captures from the show. I'll be watching for it when I watch the rest of the series.

Duchovny was a real hoot as Dennis/Denise. Agent Cooper's facial expression when "Dennis", who is expected, shows up in drag and says to call him "Denise" is a classic of bewilderment and disbelief. Wish I had a screen shot of that.

After seeing Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey Horne in TP, I figured she'd do well in roles as a femme fatale with looks reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe, but she didn't seem to take off in what I'd call big roles. She has a long career according to IMDb but certainly no truly big roles. While she certainly has the looks for it, I thought she did an excellent job as a teen-age temptress for someone as stoicly non-sexual as Cooper.

Sheryl Lee (Laura Palmer/Maddy Ferguson) had a similar career to Sherilyn seeming to never again reach the same heights she had in TP. She, however, had much more the girl-next-door look, though in the TP plot that was a facade seen only by those that expected her to be that and did not know her true life and torment -- sex, drugs and rock 'n roll (Lynch-style)...and of course "Bob".

Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna Hayward) has had a more noticed career with several leading or continuing roles on popular TV shows. I think her looks are not nearly so attractive now, though, as she seems almost anorexic in most recent roles.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Frankly, I don't remember the symbol from the show either but it appears on a web site that has a lot of screen captures from the show. I'll be watching for it when I watch the rest of the series.

Duchovny was a real hoot as Dennis/Denise. Agent Cooper's facial expression when "Dennis", who is expected, shows up in drag and says to call him "Denise" is a classic of bewilderment and disbelief. Wish I had a screen shot of that.

After seeing Sherilyn Fenn as Audrey Horne in TP, I figured she'd do well in roles as a femme fatale with looks reminiscent of Marilyn Monroe, but she didn't seem to take off in what I'd call big roles. She has a long career according to IMDb but certainly no truly big roles. While she certainly has the looks for it, I thought she did an excellent job as a teen-age temptress for someone as stoicly non-sexual as Cooper.

Sheryl Lee (Laura Palmer/Maddy Ferguson) had a similar career to Sherilyn seeming to never again reach the same heights she had in TP. She, however, had much more the girl-next-door look, though in the TP plot that was a facade seen only by those that expected her to be that and did not know her true life and torment -- sex, drugs and rock 'n roll (Lynch-style)...and of course "Bob".

Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna Hayward) has had a more noticed career with several leading or continuing roles on popular TV shows. I think her looks are not nearly so attractive now, though, as she seems almost anorexic in most recent roles.

Yes, and another surprise to me was Madchen Amick, who played the adorable Shelly Johnson. When you look at her IMDB profile, it looks like she has had a long and prosperous career, but a closer look reveals that she was never in any well known films. I guess the same can also be said for Kyle MacLachlan, who was actually in more notable films before Twin Peaks than after. Instead of being a stepping stone to stardom, playing a key role on Twin Peaks seems to have been the kiss of death.

As you mention, Lara Flynn Boyle has wasted away to almost nothing, and is not attractive to me, although I wasn't that gaga over her even in her Twin Peaks days. That skin and bones look is something that is dangerous and should not be encouraged. The funny thing is that every time a female celebrity loses weight to such an extreme degree, everyone I talk to or hear from is turned off by it and prefers the person at the normal weight they started off at, and yet new celebrities keep following in their footsteps, even after their predecessors are met with disapproval. I guess the mind works in mysterious ways, but I do understand the pressure these people are under and the standards they are held to.

• 2 months later...

Laredo,

The theme is truely a beautiful piece when you hear it in full and shows the great talent of Mark Snow. The other piece that is haunting is the music from the Episode Luminary.

Guest ZeusFaber

It's the teaser sequence to "Trust No 1".

It should be pointed out, however, that this is not actually Mark Snow's myspace page. Just an homage to him (and a wonderful one at that).

A post above described the "Joy Ride" track uploaded on the page as a piece from "Luminary", but it doesn't sound identical to me, only similar. The album cover also identifies it as "Winter Solstace on Ice". Anyone know the truth?

Yes I agree, a similar lilting feel and celtic overtones but definately not the track from Luminary.

Still another beautiful piece!

The track is by Mark Snow from the DVD Winter Solstice on Ice - A Windham Hill Collection (1999)

Filmed at a snow castle just below the Arctic Circle in Finnish Lapland, WINTER SOLSTICE ON ICE features some of the world's top ice skaters performing to music by some of Windham Hill's most popular artists.