Opening Title Scenes.

Rate this topic

Guest Darwin's Eye

Guest Darwin's Eye

Well, just recently, I managed to acquire all the episodes of Millennium from a great guy.  

Anyways, I have always been fascinated by the opening sequences of images.   One thing I had noticed between the Second Season opening, and the third is the absence of a few images.

One, is the burst of light.  The second, is the demon wings, and the hands cupped in prayer.   I found this odd that they removed both of these images.

Any thoughts?  

Darwin's Eye

Guest Anamnesis
I would have thought that the absence of these images may be nothing more than a change for the third season, after all the theme also changed between seasons 2 & 3 and if The X-Files opening sequence changes are anything to go by Mr Carter likes changing his openings each season.  Of course I could be wrong, but it was just a thought.   :grin:

Guest Olivier.Laurent

Each opening sequence is representative of the main theme of the season. For example in Season 1 we have only images of society, serial killers, dark streets, etc... because season 14 was all about evil in human being, about the dangers in our society, in everyone one of us.

In Season 2, there are a lot of images that has to deal with a greater evil and the destruction of our Planet. We have for example the Atomic bomb.

Season 3 is all about a father and his daughter. And you can see that the focus of the season is what Jordan is for Frank, what is the place of the child in our world. We, then, get images of a little girl with balloons, of a swing, etc...

Each opening sequence is representative of the main theme of the season.

Indeed, the changing titles seem to reflect the themes of each season exactly as you indicate, providing a cohesion yet also a minor variation that very much appeals.

If I'm correct, though, the opening credits for The X-Files only changed with Mulder's departure and reflected the changing cast (plus another opportunity to maintain Duchovny's pseudo-presence), whilst they had remained static for Seasons One through Six.

Moreover I found the imagery (and of course the soundtrack) to Millennium a powerful part of the mix for setting the tone of the show. They're simply breathtaking and I still savour the link from the teaser into that sequence now with every viewing and never tire of them.

Guest rockville

I agree, the title sequences seem to have deeper meanings - one has to wonder though why they decided to so subtly change the intro-music for the third season. It's not a big deal and it doesn't detract from the music but I find it weird.

np: "The Virgin" Gene Clark

• 1 year later...
Guest WaveCrest

I loved Millennium's title sequences over the three seasons. Very colourful and full of startling imaginative images which linger in the memory. They still do for me, such how good they were. Same with TXF, but I haven't left big gaps inbetween seeing episodes, that's why.

I don't think they changed the XF title sequence much, until Season 8 and Season 9 again. You did get some episodes in Season 1-7 where they showed one image and cut straight to David Duchovny's name with Mulder's FBI badge (they did this with more important episodes. Or perhaps they wanted to do a shorter title sequence) then Gillian's. The music was given a louder bump in the theme around Season 3/4.

I thought myself when I saw Season 2 the first time (and since then) that the images in the title sequence represent the themes of the season.

I didn't think that about it being about Jordan in the S3 title sequence. You've mentioned the swings and the girl in the sequence but I don't think anyone's mentioned the ferris wheel in the background.

I also liked the different picture of Frank along with the one for Emma in Season 3.

Edited by WaveCrest

<font color='#000000'>I agree, the title sequences seem to have deeper meanings - one has to wonder though why they decided to so subtly change the intro-music for the third season. It's not a big deal and it doesn't detract from the music but I find it weird.

np: "The Virgin" Gene Clark</font>

...supposedly Mark Snow has stated that the subtle addition/change in the S3 theme song-(which i love;the 4:00 version is to die for)-was to reflect the addition character of Emma Hollis and the overall change thematiclly.

~se7en :ouro:

Guest chrisnu

I'd never heard that before about the S3 theme music. Interesting. I like each opening sequence, although my favorite is probably Season 1. The image of the dagger was great. I also like the image of the sun on the horizon in Season 2. In Season 3, the hands cupped in prayer is also neat. The S3 credits are also considerably darker than the others. Is that Brittany Tiplady in the S3 opening sequence? It looks like her.

Edited by chrisnu

Guest Befallen

Also, there's the image of a girl/woman balancing on a rooftop near the end of the sequence, but I think that was in all three seasons. Am I right?

Anyway, I find that piece to be really disturbing. I'm not sure it's her, but at least for season 3 I figured it to be Jordan. I guess you can't make it out really clearly.

But it was just so... that girl, balancing, almost falling to her death. Jordan's so full of life, such a great kid, and the contrast of imagining her doing something like that.... What could make her, well anyone, willing to take those risks, care so little what happens to her?

That image coupled with the 'who cares' line worked quite well..

• 1 year later...
Guest CyberDude

I watched the season I DVD-Extras but the girl that made the opening scenes did not say anything about Jordan being depicted in that scene. In fact I don't think any of the opening scenes of season I and II are so directly linked to the cast, only the final scenes where they(Frank, Catherine and Jordan) are presented. As their creator stated herself, the opening scenes were merely about inducing a certain atmosphere and somehow familiarising us with the main theme of the series.