X-Files help

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

It's just sad that they tried to change the show again in season 9. I understand that they were trying to install a "new generation" with Doggett and Reyes and they wanted to tell different stories but I didn't quite like the Twilight Zone episodes like Audrey Pauley, 4D and others. I think that they were aiming for a more Millenniumistic TV show (I'm basing this judgment on the storyline of Doggett and his son, with episodes in the vein of Incantation, Empedocles, Release...) which is really what kept me watching the show; too bad they had to put an end to it. I think they could have gotten out of these troubled times, yet I understand that it was a good decision to end it themselves than to continue the downhill slide and be canceled. Oh and some "special" episodes of season 9 were really good I think, like John Doe for example, I thought this one was amazing.

Anyway, I just think that it's not fair to say that (and it seems to be a popular opinion) seasons 8 and 9 were bad because Mulder left. I think 8 and 9 were better than season 7 and maybe even better than season 6 (which is saved by some amazing mythology episodes).

I don't think the series ended at its worst, it was actually getting exciting again (maybe except for the super soldiers storyline).

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
It's just sad that they tried to change the show again in season 9. I understand that they were trying to install a "new generation" with Doggett and Reyes and they wanted to tell different stories but I didn't quite like the Twilight Zone episodes like Audrey Pauley, 4D and others. I think that they were aiming for a more Millenniumistic TV show (I'm basing this judgment on the storyline of Doggett and his son, with episodes in the vein of Incantation, Empedocles, Release...) which is really what kept me watching the show; too bad they had to put an end to it. I think they could have gotten out of these troubled times, yet I understand that it was a good decision to end it themselves than to continue the downhill slide and be canceled. Oh and some "special" episodes of season 9 were really good I think, like John Doe for example, I thought this one was amazing.

Anyway, I just think that it's not fair to say that (and it seems to be a popular opinion) seasons 8 and 9 were bad because Mulder left. I think 8 and 9 were better than season 7 and maybe even better than season 6 (which is saved by some amazing mythology episodes).

I don't think the series ended at its worst, it was actually getting exciting again (maybe except for the super soldiers storyline).

Yes, I agree, the super soldiers sucked :puke: . I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't say that the show was bad because Mulder wasn't around as much, only that that contributed to it not being as good as the early episodes. As I have probably said many time, the X-files at its worst was probably better than almost everything else on TV at the time. By the way, we seem to be like polar opposites because I kind of liked 4D. :oneeyedwinK Oh, and I agree with what you say about there being some very good episodes sprinkled into seasons 8 and 9, although I would give the nudge to seasons 6 and 7 as being a little better myself, and yes, I freely admit that more Scully and Mulder were a big part of that.

Guest ZeusFaber

Not the case for me. I thought the super-soldier aspect had great promise, yielded some interesting new characters, and successfully built on themes that were established way back in such episodes as "731" and "The Erlenmeyer Flask".

How much Mulder & Scully were involved was never the main issue for me either. I was more interested in the story that was being told around whichever characters were involved, which was also true of such past episodes as "Unusual Suspects" and "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man".

Guest Laurent.
Not the case for me. I thought the super-soldier aspect had great promise, yielded some interesting new characters, and successfully built on themes that were established way back in such episodes as "731" and "The Erlenmeyer Flask".

I obviously cannot disagree with your arguments, it just seems as if, even if the idea had some potential, that the super-soldiers episode were not really well done. For example, the black oil story was really "out-there" and it was closer to "science-fiction" than anything the show had done before. But episodes like Apocrypha/Revelation were so amazing that it didn't matter how bizarre the story was it still felt as real as The X-Files could be. On the other hand, episodes like Nothing Important Happened Today I&II were not as interesting, and it's easier to dismiss the story when you're bored than when you're at the edge of your seat.

Then again, maybe I was just getting tired of the old conspiracy/mythology and wanted the show to move on to something more bizarre and surreal like the Evil (with a capital E) behind the death of Doggett's son.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
I obviously cannot disagree with your arguments, it just seems as if, even if the idea had some potential, that the super-soldiers episode were not really well done.

Ut oh, the stuffs gonna hit the fan when Zeus reads that. :eyes::oneeyedwinK

Guest ZeusFaber
But episodes like Apocrypha/Revelation were so amazing that it didn't matter how bizarre the story was it still felt as real as The X-Files could be. On the other hand, episodes like Nothing Important Happened Today I&II were not as interesting, and it's easier to dismiss the story when you're bored than when you're at the edge of your seat.

I just have to disagree. I don't think "Revelations" was a particularly well-executed episode, whereas I find "Nothing Important Happened" today to be done much better. I do find it entertaining and tense, and the production values are certainly second-to-none.

Then again, maybe I was just getting tired of the old conspiracy/mythology and wanted the show to move on to something more bizarre and surreal like the Evil (with a capital E) behind the death of Doggett's son.

Wasn't this the subject matter of the very next episode though, "Daemonicus"?

Guest Laurent.
Wasn't this the subject matter of the very next episode though, "Daemonicus"?

Yes it was. But I would have like the mythology to have that kind of atmosphere. In seemed that it was the direction it was taking especially with the episode Empedocles where Mulder and Doggett refer to evil as a force, and that this force could have been behind the strange murder of Doggett's son.

My personal opinion is just that episodes focusing on Doggett (John Doe, Empedocles, Release and others) were better than the one on the old mythology. It seemed that the fresh elements they brought into the mythology (super-soldiers, William & the strange cult in Provenance/Providence...) were never developed enough. I just wish they would have had more time because I know those elements could have been great.

side note: I just remember how I was amazed the first time I saw the "Super-Soldiers in the Golf War" scene, the voice over worked amazingly well with the dreamy scene.

Guest ZeusFaber
Yes it was. But I would have like the mythology to have that kind of atmosphere. In seemed that it was the direction it was taking especially with the episode Empedocles where Mulder and Doggett refer to evil as a force, and that this force could have been behind the strange murder of Doggett's son.

Yes, but "Empedocles" wasn't a mythology episode either. What's wrong with having both types of show together? Mythology episodes with all the conspiracy action, standalones like "Empedocles" and "Daemonicus" with the force of evil stuff.

side note: I just remember how I was amazed the first time I saw the "Super-Soldiers in the Golf War" scene, the voice over worked amazingly well with the dreamy scene.

That would be "Providence". I think that sequence is excellent too. Very well written and directed by Chris Carter.

Personally i didnt care too much for the Super Soldiers Story even though it brought us Terry O'Quinn. I think one of my more fav. episodes during this story line has to be "Nothing Important Happen Today" with Lucy Lawless. Not only was she a beautiful soldier but a perfect nekked android chick..lol

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Personally i didnt care too much for the Super Soldiers Story even though it brought us Terry O'Quinn. I think one of my more fav. episodes during this story line has to be "Nothing Important Happen Today" with Lucy Lawless. Not only was she a beautiful soldier but a perfect nekked android chick..lol

:clapping: I applaud you, you finally managed to convince me that something good came out of the super soldiers episodes (Lucy).