Frank Blacks Style

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

Oh God(s), the scene where he quotes Taxi Driver was so lame. I didn't mind all the other moments you mentioned but that one part was embarrassing.

On another note, I didn't notice any obvious wardrobe changes in Season 2. The only thing I was aware of was that Frank didn't wear his trademark green jacket as much. Otherwise . . . his clothes looked the same to me.

• 1 month later...
Guest David Marks

I think Frank looks good in his wardrobe from all series

I think he looked good in his leather jacket too!!

I think all his clothes have suited him and the character

Guest betweenthelines
I must admit I preferred the Season 1 look, now I come to think about it. I can't for the life of me recall when he did the Taxi Driver thing though! You lookin' at me? :eyes::wtf:

I don't blame you ;). Anyway, that moment took place at the end of 'Owls' and I think it was repeated in the beginning of 'Roosters'.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Chris Carter specifically dressed Frank down to mark him out from others. It makes it hard cops like Giebelhaus etc to take him seriously, because he looks so bedraggled. It's all because of that beaten down 'no longer looking to impress anyone' feel that he wants to get across with Frank. He wants us to know Frank couldn't honestly care less about how he looks. He has far more important things on his mind.

Season Two's look is primarily to make Frank look younger. I have already spoken many times of M+W's attitude to Frank (i.e they included him because the show needed him, but they would never have made a character like him their main hero). So as they were stuck with Frank, they give him new quirks like the Bobby Darin music and the cooler clothes. He gets the much cooler pistol to replace his revolver. They also have Frank move in a very liquid, 'knows what he's doing' way.

Look at the way he takes the pills from the cabinet in 'Monster'. A small scene yes, but the action to open the cabinet and remove the bottle is ludicrously perfect. He takes pills from a cupboard in a 'cool' way! :D It's the same with computers. He clacks the mouse button hard, like he's *really* using the computer. It's silly, but these little things build up in the subconscious.

Season Three sees a return to the S1 look by and large. In terms of series continuity, we can imagine that Frank's look from Season Two is how he remembers himself. He may not care about such things on a conscious level, but we all 'pretty things up' in our minds. It's just the level to which Frank is doing this that is the interesting question...

• 1 month later...
Guest Heath328
Oh God(s), the scene where he quotes Taxi Driver was so lame. I didn't mind all the other moments you mentioned but that one part was embarrassing.

On another note, I didn't notice any obvious wardrobe changes in Season 2. The only thing I was aware of was that Frank didn't wear his trademark green jacket as much. Otherwise . . . his clothes looked the same to me.

Frank quoting "Taxi Driver" didn't bother me much because it seemed like the kind of thing a person might do under extreme circumstances.

Think about it: All of us are drenched in the culture (movies, TV, radio, etc.). Many of our "talk lines" come from things we heard in movies or TV. How many of you who are Simpsons fans find yourselves saying "D'oh!" just because it's in your subconscious?

When Frank, weapon drawn, approached the guys in the car at the conclusion of "Owls," he needed to sound tough and get their attention. He probably said the first thing that popped into his head, which just happened to be a paraphrase of Travis Bickle's dialogue.

Very believable, very human.

I'm willing to bet that Lance Henriksen came up with that idea. The man knows what makes a good character.

Hi Heath328

Great to have you here. I have only just realised that this is your first post, and interesting it is too. You should hurry yourself over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself to us all. This board is great fun, which sounds almost cheesey, but you are bound to make new friends and enjoy Millennium in a celebratory environment. You have a poetic way of presenting your ideas and I'm sure this board would welcome you into the fold. Don't be put off by the post before this, the majority of people here are enthusiastic and willing to wax lyrical.

Hope to hear more from you!

Guest Heath328
Hi Heath328

Great to have you here. I have only just realised that this is your first post, and interesting it is too. You should hurry yourself over to the newbie forum and introduce yourself to us all. This board is great fun, which sounds almost cheesey, but you are bound to make new friends and enjoy Millennium in a celebratory environment. You have a poetic way of presenting your ideas and I'm sure this board would welcome you into the fold. Don't be put off by the post before this, the majority of people here are enthusiastic and willing to wax lyrical.

Hope to hear more from you!

Thanks for the welcome!

I can't tell you how glad I am to find a circle of people who appreciate one of the best shows ever.