Quality Of Millennium Dvd's

Rate this topic

Guest Forza

Guest Forza

I have all 9 seasons of "The X-Files" on DVD, and all of them have varying degrees of artifacts and other visual anomalies, despite store returns and testing across mutiple DVD players. In short, they play fine in non-progressive scan DVD players, but display visual artifacting (i.e., graphical screw-ups) on progressive scan DVD players. As a result, I am continually forced to choose between a superior picture with artifacts or a generally poorer (i.e., non-progressive scan) picture.

I will say that some other DVD's of TV shows (e.g., Star Trek TNG) display the same problem.

Question 1: Is anyone else having the same problem?

Question 2: Will MilleniuM's DVD's be mastered and produced with greater care?

PS. Se7en&One's DVD's are flawless!

Guest Gary

Totally agree with you regarding the X-Files DVDs! As I lost track of the show after Season Four, I'm currently working my way through all the DVDs (and having a damn good time, too!), and I too have had the occasional problems that you describe, but nothing that really spoils my enjoyment of them. One thing I've learnt about DVDs (and to a certain extent, DVD players) is that they can be funny things when they want to be!

I really, really hope the Millennium DVDs are mastered well, though! :grin2:

Guest amnesic

i also noticed problems with my XF DVDs which i was really pissed off about. they should be flawless at £90 a set at full RRP!

Guest Forza
i also noticed problems with my XF DVDs which i was really pissed off about. they should be flawless at £90 a set at full RRP!

Hear, Hear!!!

Guest amnesic

Hear, Hear!!!

more like "Har Har!" from 20th Century Fox. what a great business plan. release sub-standard DVDs at ridiculous prices and watch to see how many fans buy them regardless.

Guest Forza
more like "Har Har!" from 20th Century Fox. what a great business plan. release sub-standard DVDs at ridiculous prices and watch to see how many fans buy them regardless.

To add insult to injury, they will re-release them using "1013-Bit Technology" that eliminates the visual anomalies. Record companies did the same thing with CD's: release a crappy first edition and then come out later with a "Super-Bit" edition!

Thankfully, the problem is sporadic and more of a nuissance than a problem.

Guest chrisnu

I've noticed that the picture has gotten better with each new release. I'd rate the quality of picture as follows:

1) Seasons 8-9

2) Seasons 6-7

3) Season 5

4) Seasons 3-4

5) Season 2

6) Season 1

Then again, I have a non-progressive scan DVD player.

Guest ender.wiggin

I may be wrong, since I have not actually seen the artifacts that you are experiencing, but based on your description that the artifacts only appear when played on your progressive scan DVD player, I wonder if what you are viewing is an artifact due to the MPEG compression scheme used for DVDs. Improving the DVD player (progressive scan is usually 12-bit output) and/or your TV (i.e. HDTV) will quickly bring out the limiations of MPEG encoding.

Do you experience this problem with any DVD movies also?

Guest Forza

Progressive scan is only of use with a HDTV, and I have one. Believe me, the quality of the picture is noticeably better when played with a progressive scan player, but occasional artifacts are apparent, especially when switching between scenes or during rapid movement, when the picture degrades. I have a $500 Sony DVD player, so I doubt I can find a better one.

These artifacts are usually absent on my PS2, however, which does not include a progressive scan function. Unfortunately, the quality of the picture is not as good because of the lack of progressive scan.

Finally, I agree that the quality has improved as the DVD's have been released, but some degree of artifacting is present even in the Season 9 episodes, which were released two days ago.

Edited by Forza

Guest Second Coming

I've never noticed any problems with the dvds. Of course I don't have a progressive scan dvd player.