Quality Of Millennium Dvd's

Rate this topic

Guest Forza

Guest ender.wiggin
I have a $500 Sony DVD player, so I doubt I can find a better one.

Which model Sony player do you have?

Based on the price, it seems like you may have that 14-bit DVD player I read about which would provide your HDTV the highest possible quality image from a NTSC/PAL DVD. I also have a HDTV (Sony) but still use my older non-progressive scan player since I am waiting for either a DVD player with a DVI output or the upcoming (2007?) HD-DVD players...

Guest Forza
Which model Sony player do you have?

The Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder.

It plays TV season DVD's better than my previous progressive-scan player, a Sony DVP-NC665P/B. The RDR-GX7 does much better when transitioning between layers.

Edited by Forza

Guest lilblackgirl

I've got an HDTV as well as a Sony progressive scan player. I've forgotten which model though. I've discovered that Sony isn't necessarily the best quality, even though they charge top price for it. Something else i've noticed about their equipment is that it's heavier than most. I guess they feel that we, the consumer , associate weight with quality. Not always true. Regardless, I've been watching the XF from season one as well via Netflix and just love it. And i have noticed the quality seems to be getting better (i'm midway thru 4 right now) and it was just downright bad in 1. The most noticeable thing i've seen with a progressive scan player is that at times, it slows down the picture so that it almost appears to move in slow motion. And that happens quite frequently with both TV shows and movies. not sure why, but i'm guessing it has to do with trying to display the superior quality picture and lags in doing so.

Guest se7en

.....i also have a sony-progressive scan,w/2:3 processing. it's a 5-disc changer as well and cost a pleasing $149.99. like you i also have an HDTV,AND THE PICTURE IS FLAWLESS. i really don't know if all sony players are created equall,i'm guessing not,but on mine you have a choice with watching dvds in progressive scan: one is for "video"-source,the other is "film"-based. the other 2-options are progressive-auto and non-progressive. i watch all of my TV based dvds in "progressive video source" when the dvds are anamorphicly encoded. i NEVER watch non 16x9 dvds in progressive as the flaws of the source material will almost always invariably rear it's ugly head,especially older TV. it creates too much picture noise and stair-stepping effects along with color smearing. If i have non 16x9 TV/MOVIES i just turn progressive off and view it "PANORAMA" mode on widescreen set. works perfect everytime......so far.

.....for early,non 16x9 x-files i would try turning progressive scan off. for those seasons which are 16x9 try "progressive/VIDEO" if it gives you that option. you may see quite a reduction in video noise/artifacts. (??)

HOPE THIS HELPS A BIT,

se7en :ouro:

Guest ender.wiggin
The Sony RDR-GX7 DVD Recorder.

The Sony RDR-GX7 features a 12-bit DAC, along with numerous video enhancements, you should be getting a high quality image (unless there really is a problem with the video on the X-Files DVDs). Which output are you using, S-Video, composite or component?

Guest Forza
The Sony RDR-GX7 features a 12-bit DAC, along with numerous video enhancements, you should be getting a high quality image (unless there really is a problem with the video on the X-Files DVDs). Which output are you using, S-Video, composite or component?

Component Monster video cables--hardly the Wal-Mart special!

Don't get me wrong, 99% of the time the picture looks fine, but DVD's of some TV shows only (e.g., "The X-Files", "Star Trek TNG") have momentary visual distortions when switching between SOME scenes. I have returned random season sets back for another copy but get the same results. I also upgraded my DVD player (to the RDR-GX7), which has reduced but not eliminated the problem.

None of my movie CD's display this problem, nor do discs of "The Sporanos", "Band of Brothers", etc. My guess--and that is all it is--is that some companies take greater care in the compilation and manufacture of their dual-layer, packed-to-the-hilt DVD box sets than others. I hope that Fox Home Video takes care when producing the "MillenniuM" discs.

I can safely state that the problem is not with my system, unless the problem is endemic to Sony.

Anbody else having similar experiences? What DVD player do you use?

Edited by Forza

Guest ender.wiggin
What DVD player do you use?

I have an older RCA non-progressive scan model that I purchased years ago for the VCD/SVCD support, but since I have purchased my Sony HDTV, I've stopped watching videos in those formats. I've had no problems but that is not really relevant since most people here seem not to notice the artifacts with non-progressive scan players. Now I am shopping for a new DVD player and considering the Sony DAV-FC9 home theater package.

Edited by ender.wiggin

Guest Forza

All this HiFi talk motivated me to screw around with my equipment settings. I've been able to reduce the artifacts I was seeing significantly. While I was at it, I picked up a sound level meter and calibrated my surround speakers.

Bring on Season 1! Pass the popcorn!

Guest se7en

.......glad to hear it! although S1 is not 16x9 if your set had good "panoramic mode"-(slightly stretching on the very edges of the picture to fill the screen)-I'd use it. There is nothing like watching MM with the entire 47-inch screen filled up!! :smokin:

~TAKE CARE!

Guest Forza
.......glad to hear it! although S1 is not 16x9 if your set had good "panoramic mode"-(slightly stretching on the very edges of the picture to fill the screen)-I'd use it. There is nothing like watching MM with the entire 47-inch screen filled up!! :smokin:

~TAKE CARE!

Agreed!

My Sony 16:9 HDTV has a "Wide Zoom" mode that streches 4:3 sources in a way that is less abnormal than normal "Wide" mode. I use that mode not only to fill the entire screen but to also minimize screen burnout.