Latest news on the second X-Files movie

Rate this topic

TIWWA

• Elders (Moderators)
A-Files movie is gearing up in December for sure! I have had a call for equipment starting in Dec.

Good news! I think I actually feel more excited by the fact that a number of people who worked for 1013 in the past are coming together again for the movie.

X Files 2, 2008

Film Database

The X Files 2

Release Date: July 25, 2008

Studio: 20th Century Fox

Director: Chris Carter

Screenwriter: Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz

Starring: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson

Genre: Drama, Mystery, Thriller

MPAA Rating: Not Available

Official Website: Not Available

Review: Not Available

DVD Review: Not Available

DVD: Not Available

Movie Poster: Not Available

Production Stills: Not Available

Plot Summary: David Duchovny will reprise his role of Special Agent Fox Mulder. Gillian Anderson is also expected to be back on board to play Special Agent Dana Scully. The popular series ran on Fox from 1993 to 2002. Rob Bowman directed the first feature, which hit theaters on June 19, 1998.

Trailer:

Coming Soon!

Guest ZeusFaber
ZF, could you do me a favour and check the wording of rules concerning what CC can or can't do? There's an article in Variety:

which says that some changes are permitted by the WGA but that seems at variance with the WGA strikes rules, section 12

You're right, there does seem to be a bit of a contradiction there. I would suggest that Variety have gotten themselves a little muddled there.

While the current strike means that things are operating under far from ideal circumstances, and a lot of it is uncharted waters, TXF2 has a lot of good things in its favour for avoiding any trouble:

1. CC is directing, meaning there will never be a need to lease between director and writer. He can't do any physical writing, can't put pen to paper, but as far as I understand it, he's free to do pretty much anything he likes on set in a verbal capacity. He can't edit the script document that people will have on set in big binders, but he can make his own mental decision to shoot something a bit differently, or tell an actor to deliver a line slightly differently.

2. The two principal leads are already cast and contracted. Having two ready-made stars in David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson is a plus, meaning that there's one less thing to worry about there. They read the script several months back, so there's no need to be shopping a script to stars and tailoring it to get them on board.

3. Since it's slated to start shooting in December, that means it's one of the front runners, not one that needs lots more time further back until February and such.

All of those factors, to me, makes TXF2 one of, if not the project in the best possible shape to proceed unscathed. There is the slight notion of wanting to join the picket lines and show support for the cause, but that's more about perceptions and solidarity than it is about any WGA rules. The strike seems to be worrying a lot of fans when it comes to TXF2, but my advice would be not to let it. All of the major obstacles are dealt with, and it's on the tiny little details that could present any sort of problem. And besides, I know we're all hoping that the strike wont last too long and that the AMPTP sees sense sooner rather than later.

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks, ZF. I like to make sure I've read something correctly, and initially I expected Variety to get things right until I read the rules.

As you say, XF2 has a lot going for it so if there's one film that can make it through these turbulent times it'll be this one.

Guest Laurent.

I almost feel like this "ain't it cool" user:

This comes off sounding a bit like jamming a vanity project somebody didn't get to finish down the throats of fans who are actually paying to see X-Files.

Makes me a bit nervous... and mad at myself; I wanted to stay spoiler free! At least this is far from being anything else than a rumor.

Guest Laurent.

Actually, I saw someone on another forum posting this Mulder+Scully+Frank Black vs. Lucy Butler idea.

That would be amazing for the fans... but not so great for the new audience I guess. I hope they go for something (as brilliant but) more accessible for the neophytes.

• Elders (Admins)
Actually, I saw someone on another forum posting this Mulder+Scully+Frank Black vs. Lucy Butler idea.

That would be amazing for the fans... but not so great for the new audience I guess. I hope they go for something (as brilliant but) more accessible for the neophytes.

That would be very interesting and much fun to watch but as you say, I doubt it would appeal to X-Files/non-MLM fans in general. I also doubt Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz would want to make this new film a cross-over.

Also Sarah-Jane Redmond (MLM's Lucy Butler) is currently looking after her 1 month old son so I doubt very much she would be filming so soon. I'm sure she would have mentioned appearing in the movie by now too. One can dream!