Borrowed Time

Rate this topic

Guest Jim McLean

Guest Jim McLean

Great episode, I see why everyone enjoys it! There is enough MM ambiguity, pathos and sheen to make this an excellent episode. A great return for the angel who returns in an equally righteous role, even though not necessarily preferable to Frank.

I always felt that even though the negatives for this episode are rare, they are often unfair. First off, the idea that we need to know why the angel is making his rounds right now is one of those delightful ambiguities. There is nothing to suggest this is a one off, or that the MO should always be the same. Angels could perform this duty with different methods at different times. There is no reason to presume that all people who have near death experiences are are on borrowed time from Heaven - seems these are potentially a select few, which once again would explain why these situations are so rare. But ultimately, we don't need explanation. God moves in mysterious ways, and Millennium is of no exception.

I enjoyed this variant on Samiel. He's far darker, but not in an evil way, merely immutable. Unstoppable. One could say, uncaring, but if we take Jordan's communique with her mother as fact, why would any Angel be utterly upset about his role? There is life after death - his part is a role in a greater picture, one far less scary than what we accept. It was a neat and foreboding mode to play the angel in. I liked the teasing nature as well, as if the role strips the subjects of their immediate pain; that the job is a job to the extent that the behaviour of people like Frank is a curiosity rather than empathy. Well, that's how I read it!

I also liked how we never saw any indication as to what derailed the train. I presume we are to assume he seals the cabin so there can be no escape for those who must give back their borrowed time so someone else can share in it, and when the train is mysteriously derailed, the irony comes in the fact that his actions places those in the cabin on borrowed time. Whether this was an intervention from God or something darker is ambiguous. I personally saw it as a darker force, for the whole show places Frank in opposition to God's work and thereby any evil intervention to screw with an Angel doing God's will inadvertently benefits Frank. There is a nice mirror scenario there which made sense to me. I was half expecting the girl to be implicated as an evil agent screwing with Samiel's work, but thankfully no such horror genre crassness was used.

A good episode. The only downside is the naff effects of the train being derailed. Hardly a big thing, but nevertheless that element hasn't aged so well!

Guest Laurent.

Too much in a hurry to discuss this in length right now but I enjoyed reading your post and I really had to respond to your last comment:

The only downside is the naff effects of the train being derailed. Hardly a big thing, but nevertheless that element hasn't aged so well!

Not sure what naff means but I thought this effect was amazing! First, must have been cheap to make and it probably saved them a lot of time! And more importantly, I thought it added to the unusual theatrical look and atmosphere of this show. This feel was first introduced by some theatrical acting, where some things have to be almost overacted, and it felt more sketched than any other millennium episode (not sure if you use this expression in English in the same way i do, so let me explain). MM usually have a very realistic approach in most of their scenes; killers and junkies act and think like killers and junkies, and so do pretty much every other type of characters. But in this episode, every characters look very clichéd (incredibly this word seems to exist) but in a good way. For example, even Frank has an exaggerated and almost out of character scene with his prayer to God. Even the direction of the episode felt almost theatrical, very based on dialogs and long calm scenes. And the train effect fell perfectly in place to add to this atmosphere, it looks like something that could have been done even on a theater stage.

I will have to watch the show again to discuss it more appropriately but I'd like to know what everyone opinion is concerning this very particular aspect of Borrowed Time.

Too much in a hurry to discuss this in length right now but I enjoyed reading your post and I really had to respond to your last comment:

Not sure what naff means but I thought this effect was amazing! First, must have been cheap to make and it probably saved them a lot of time! And more importantly, I thought it added to the unusual theatrical look and atmosphere of this show. This feel was first introduced by some theatrical acting, where some things have to be almost overacted, and it felt more sketched than any other millennium episode (not sure if you use this expression in English in the same way i do, so let me explain). MM usually have a very realistic approach in most of their scenes; killers and junkies act and think like killers and junkies, and so do pretty much every other type of characters. But in this episode, every characters look very clichéd (incredibly this word seems to exist) but in a good way. For example, even Frank has an exaggerated and almost out of character scene with his prayer to God. Even the direction of the episode felt almost theatrical, very based on dialogs and long calm scenes. And the train effect fell perfectly in place to add to this atmosphere, it looks like something that could have been done even on a theater stage.

I will have to watch the show again to discuss it more appropriately but I'd like to know what everyone opinion is concerning this very particular aspect of Borrowed Time.

Laran....yes the scene of Frank "praying" was a bit out of character. But i think it shows his desperation and helplessness in that particular situation...cant expand right now, will later...one thing to watch for, in the beginning, as the priest is giving Jordan her last rites, pay particular attention to the clock on the table where the priest has his stuff...notice the time???

4th Horseman

Guest Jim McLean
Not sure what naff means but I thought this effect was amazing! First, must have been cheap to make and it probably saved them a lot of time! And more importantly, I thought it added to the unusual theatrical look and atmosphere of this show.

I think there was an intention to add a sort of Hitchcock theatric to the external train shots, though I didn't feel effects felt either realistic or theatric enough to fall in either camp, but yes, I'm nitpicking because I don't like giving any episode a perfect score. ;)

For me though, I didn't sit well. I'm happy for unorthodox approaches, but each segment of the external shots leading up and into the crash didn't hit home for me - they just looked either awkward or unfinished. The last shot of the water passing by had an interesting directorial dynamic to it, but it still felt out of place to me. But there we go. Nitpicking over!

• 1 month later...
Guest Heath328

"Borrowed Time" is probably one of the best hours of television I've ever seen. This is why it's doubly frustrating that "Millennium" didn't get the audience or the accolades it should have in its network run.

Also, Frank's prayer for Jordan, while seemingly out of character for some viewers, really isn't. People pushed to the edge -- as Frank certainly has been, with the death of his wife still fresh -- often resort to prayer, even if they are not generally religious people. Nothing will drive a person to their knees faster than a threat to their child.

The last time I watched "Borrowed Time" was when my wife was pregnant with our daughter. She was having a difficult pregnancy, and we didn't know if everything was going to be OK with our little girl.

When Frank prayed for Jordan at the climax of this particular episode, I was in tears watching it. I'm not an emotional person, despite my Christian faith, but the depiction of Frank's suffering transcended the medium.

P.S.

Our little girl is healthy and happy and recently celebrated her first birthday.

Good to hear that all is well with your family my friend and a fine post to boot.

I have no beef with Frank's prayer and know a story somewhat similar to your own. A close friend of mine had a thoroughly unpleasant experience giving birth to her daughter, at some stage of the delivery the medical staff became concerned for her life and the life of her unborn daughter. In desperation she called out to Jesus, despite a previous position of atheism, and believes that he answered her: she now has a degree in Theology and is the Lay Preacher at our local church.

I believe one of the highlights of this Season is Frank's portrayal as a father which in my mind excused the decision to kill Catherine, the intensity that Lance delivers to this characterization is far more engaging than the dynamic shared by him and Megan.

I think the 'issue' that some fans take with this episode is not in the idea that a desperate man would resort to desperate measures but rather in Frank's declaration that he has someone conducted his life in accordance with God's wishes which is untrue and flatly contradicts what has been depicted previously. Frank has had numerous motivations for his past actions but at no point has he believed his choices to be divinely inspired.

That said it is a wonderful episode and one which I come back to frequently.

Edited by ethsnafu

• Elders (Moderators)
Also, Frank's prayer for Jordan, while seemingly out of character for some viewers, really isn't. People pushed to the edge -- as Frank certainly has been, with the death of his wife still fresh -- often resort to prayer, even if they are not generally religious people. Nothing will drive a person to their knees faster than a threat to their child.

That's an interesting point. I did feel that Frank's prayer didn't sound particularly authentic but then we didn't see him pray very often (or at all?) so vocalising a prayer wouldn't be something that he's accustomed to. And I agree with your point that people very often resort to prayer when in extreme situations.

The last time I watched "Borrowed Time" was when my wife was pregnant with our daughter. She was having a difficult pregnancy, and we didn't know if everything was going to be OK with our little girl.

When Frank prayed for Jordan at the climax of this particular episode, I was in tears watching it. I'm not an emotional person, despite my Christian faith, but the depiction of Frank's suffering transcended the medium.

It must be very difficult to view something on TV that's just supposed to be entertaining, but it turns out to be something personal and upsetting.

P.S.

Our little girl is healthy and happy and recently celebrated her first birthday.

Wonderful! :clapping:

Guest Heath328
I think the 'issue' that some fans take with this episode is not in the idea that a desperate man would resort to desperate measures but rather in Frank's declaration that he has someone conducted his life in accordance with God's wishes which is untrue and flatly contradicts what has been depicted previously. Frank has had numerous motivations for his past actions but at no point has he believed his choices to be divinely inspired.

That said it is a wonderful episode and one which I come back to frequently.

I don't think Frank was really saying that he was acting in accordance with God's wishes as if he were some divinely appointed agent for Good.

I think what he meant with his prayer was much, much simpler. Frank has been a normal, good person who has tried to live a moral life. Further, he has been a law enforcement officer who has sought to keep society safe from the evil forces that threaten us. Many times when people pray, as Frank did, they are saying, "Cut me some slack, Lord -- I'm trying to do right and all I'm asking for is basic fairness."

Frank lost his beloved wife. With that wound still fresh, he is in danger of losing his daughter. It is perfectly reasonable (and in keeping with the plot and with his character) to ask God not to take everything away from him.

Frank's prayer and Jordan's subsequent recovery do not necessarily put Frank at odds with God.

How do we know this miraculous intervention wasn't part of the big picture, like Lazarus in the Gospels?

The situation was created where Frank had to see there is a spiritual dimension to life that he can't deny, and this spiritual dimension also touches his own life in ways that sometimes result in temporal suffering. But it is this realization that will assist Frank in the coming cataclysmic event between Good and Evil.

Sorry -- I don't mean to "teach Sunday school" here, but the plot of "Borrowed Time" mirrors some of the Gospel accounts of miracles and people asking for their loved ones to be spared death. Behind every miracles, there was always a deep spiritual lesson that the recipients of the miracles were meant to learn.

Edited by Heath328

Hi Heath,

Wonderful post as always but allow me to pause and explain myself, no doubt badly as always.

When I wax lyrical about ' Millennium' I choose only that source material as my reference point, when I seek to make a claim and either validate or denounce it it is within the narrative that I seek to do so. Whilst I concur that there may be examples or references within the Gospels for whatever theatric is occurring in this episode I am not interested, humbly, in unrelated source material. And I say that most respectfully.

Frank does in fact declare that his actions have been governed by a supernal influence, he states that "...God, I tried to do everything You asked me to do..." which is more concise that the vague argument that what he was truly saying was that he tried to be a good man.

I also disagree that Jordan's experiences were part of a heavenly connivance to force Frank to accept a spiritual dimension he can't deny, the very same dimension he has been cogent with since Season One. Whatever his theological beliefs or misgivings, rest assured that Frank needs no reminder as to the spiritual component of reality, he is conversant with it profoundly already.

But, returning ever duly to the subject, as I have stated Frank does declare that he has acted in accordance with divine dictates and whilst it would be cosy to conclude that this has always been the case I leave you with the words of the man himself.

"..Faith fills in the holes of uncertainty.."

Edited by ethsnafu

Guest Heath328

As always, you gave me something to think about, Ethsnafu.

Where I think we can agree wholeheartedly is that "Borrowed Time" is an example of storytelling at its finest.