FRANK BLACK RETURNS IN X FILES 2

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber
Actually I just read the transcript again and Spotnitz states that the movie franchise will probably not continue given that they don't think "the stars would return and they wouldn’t want to do it without them."

I think you may have misread him there. He was indicating that the franchise wouldn't return to television, not that the movie franchise would not continue.

Whilst I understand that the Virtual Season writers have had no choice but to age Jordan I find her 'college years' relationship with her Father far less compelling. If they did a 'reboot' which seems to be Carter's mused intention I guess there is no reason why Jordan could not be cast with a younger actress and Catherine be ressurrected but I'm not sure I could take to another Jordan or whether Carter was ever fond enough of Catherine to feature her in the big screen adaptation anyway.

Yet he was pretty much the only one to write her an episode she could call her own in the form of "The Well-Worn Lock".

That said, I doubt very much that any potential movie would be approached as a "reboot" with Catherine restored along with a young Jordan. I would think it far more likely to be approached as an isolated movie that just happens to feature the character of Frank Black as its lead, transplanted away from any dangling threads of the old TV series so as not to get tangled up in them.

That would suit me just fine Zeus :)

To be fair to the thread I think the standalone, mytharc-devoid proposal is one we discussed an age ago and agreed upon as the best way forward any other musings were simply explored due to lack of any real news on this issue and due to a couple of us having a few hours spare to fill lol. Given sufficient time I muse that we may have ended up discussing the best pair of shoes for Frank in such a movie.

Interesting stuff about the X-Files franchise and I thank you for putting me right though a few us did wonder if the X-Files movie franchise might detract from MM's big screen return so I watch this space with readiness.

Though Carter did write Catherine a standalone he also suggested to M&W that they kill her off during their tenure so I think it debatable as to how fond of her he really was. He certainly considered her expendable all the same.

Very good to see you around these shores by the way. I bet all the anticipation and excitement you Philes are experiencing right now is making the present a very enjoyable time for your good self.

My very best wishes to you,

Eth

Guest ZeusFaber
a few us did wonder if the X-Files movie franchise might detract from MM's big screen return so I watch this space with readiness.

Possibly, but then again The X-Files always was a more viable franchise. I think that success for that movie (and any potential future ones) would really be the best thing for MM. Just as the success of the X-Files TV series gave Carter the cache with the bankrollers to create MM, so too would the success of an X-Files movie franchise increase the chances of being able to persuade similar bankrollers to take a chance on a theatrical outing for Frank Black. Without the former, the latter stands little chance, so there is an optimistic perspective in there to take heart from.

Though Carter did write Catherine a standalone he also suggested to M&W that they kill her off during their tenure

Well that's still a somewhat debateable can-of-worms, but regardless of that, it seems clear to me that in Carter's original version of the show, he was keen to bring her to the forefront the way that few others did.

Very good to see you around these shores by the way.

Thank you. It's been a while. Some things have changed - your new moderator stripes for one, congratulations - while others haven't.