The Long Haired Man

Rate this topic

• Elders (Admins)

We never seem to mention or discuss the Long Haired Man, masculine side of Legion or another representitive like Lucy Butler? He was seen first of all in Lamentation when Catherine looked up the stairs. That scene is just terrifying...

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Wasn't it just Martin, the guy from 'Powers, Principalities...'?

For my money, I don't think they represent Lucy Butler very consistently. In 'Lamentation' I get the idea that Lucy Butler AND Martin are operating on Legion's behalf. That they are working for him is confirmed in 'Powers, Principalities...'

However, Lucy Butler's later incarnations seem to imply that she is a separate agent from Legion (perfectly possible as he could have enlisted her help that once). More worrying is that Butler appears to be able to transform into the men now which wasn't clear before. I know there is the scene on the stairs but Martin dies and Butler evidently doesn't as she returns in S2 and S3.

She seems to be supernatural in S2 and S3 whereas 'Lamentation' implied that she was simply a vessel through which Legion was acting. She seems to have her own powers and abilties in the later episodes and as I said, seems quite seperate from Legion. I severely doubt that the Lucy Butler of S1 is the same concept as the LB of S's 2 and 3. The man cannot be killed separately in those episodes (he is run over in 'Antipas' but Butler is the one who is wounded - note not killed even though it should have been fatal according to Hollis.

Guest A Stranger
Wasn't it just Martin, the guy from 'Powers, Principalities...'?

For my money, I don't think they represent Lucy Butler very consistently. In 'Lamentation' I get the idea that Lucy Butler AND Martin are operating on Legion's behalf. That they are working for him is confirmed in 'Powers, Principalities...'

However, Lucy Butler's later incarnations seem to imply that she is a separate agent from Legion (perfectly possible as he could have enlisted her help that once). More worrying is that Butler appears to be able to transform into the men now which wasn't clear before. I know there is the scene on the stairs but Martin dies and Butler evidently doesn't as she returns in S2 and S3.

She seems to be supernatural in S2 and S3 whereas 'Lamentation' implied that she was simply a vessel through which Legion was acting. She seems to have her own powers and abilties in the later episodes and as I said, seems quite seperate from Legion. I severely doubt that the Lucy Butler of S1 is the same concept as the LB of S's 2 and 3. The man cannot be killed separately in those episodes (he is run over in 'Antipas' but Butler is the one who is wounded - note not killed even though it should have been fatal according to Hollis.

No, the Long Haired Man is not Martin. Periodically Lucy appears as a long haired man. He appears during the lightening flashes in "Lamentation" as well as "A Room With No View" and "Antipas."

That was indeed, a very interesting concept that I've pretty much forgot about. I've always taken it as a symbol of another kind of Evil, maybe masculine. Lucy was often very seductive where the Long Haired Man represents only brute force. He is the one who appears when he beats Landon in "A Room..." Just another one of those things that makes MM so great!

We never seem to mention or discuss the Long Haired Man, masculine side of Legion or another representitive like Lucy Butler? He was seen first of all in Lamentation when Catherine looked up the stairs. That scene is just terrifying...

I agree...That scene was terrifying. I still get chills when I watch it late at night. :devil01: (just did 2 nights ago)

I always thought that Lucy, the long-haired man, and the devil were one and the same. Like the phrase that ends with "....for we are many". :devil::devil01::devil::devil01:

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Lucy didn't appear as a long haired man in that episode though really did she? I am almost positive it is Martin. 'Powers, Principalities...' clearly shows Lucy killing Bletch from behind - how did she do this as the corridor isn't wide enough for her to get past him? Unless that is, Martin was separate to her.

Guest A Stranger
Lucy didn't appear as a long haired man in that episode though really did she? I am almost positive it is Martin. 'Powers, Principalities...' clearly shows Lucy killing Bletch from behind - how did she do this as the corridor isn't wide enough for her to get past him? Unless that is, Martin was separate to her.

Are you refering to "Lamentation?" Lucy does appears as the long haired man as well as the Gehenna devil as she approaches Bletcher coming down the stairs.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

It isn't clear that that is what is happening though, is my point. Lucy appears to be seperate from Legion and 'Lamentation' and 'Powers, Principalities...' seem to imply that both her and Martin are simply his vassals - I tok the change to be Legion acting through their bodies. I.e I don't think it was intended for Lucy to be supernatural as of herself by that point. 'Powers, Principalities...' shows Legion AND Martin AND Lucy indicating that they are all separate people. I have no doubt that Lucy later becomes the classic succubus character but at this point I think it was simply Legion (hence many faces etc) working through people.

Guest se7en

...well,I can tell you that in interviewing S.J.R. for the book that she has indicated that the character was described to her as essentially the devil/legion or "...the devil's lige`"-(SP?) as pointed out by Dr. Fabricant.

...my own view long before though has always been that Lucy Butler was,in fact,one fact,one of the many,of legion.

...and in ken horten's "A room with no view",Ken being one of the few holdouts of S1,futher supported this by the,blink and you'll miss it,photo of "lucy butler" in a newspaper clipping from,i think,around 1912 or something like that.

~just my view,

se7en