Untraceable WTF

Rate this topic

Guest none_more_black

Guest none_more_black

Has anyone else seen the trailer for this film?

I was stunned by the similarities. Michael R. Perry is not credited anywhere for this movie.

I have tried to make a section called "Controversy" on Wikipedia for this film but it keeps getting erased.

Untraceable on Wikipedia

Does anyone here know where I can find any stories that have identified this suspicious similarity? Does Michael Perry have a blog for example?

Edited by none_more_black

i have made a post on Untraceable and another person did also. i saw the trailer too. over on imdb someone did make a post about how Untraceable is very much like The Mikado. i have always been trying to find Perry's blog or something. i am a big fan of Mr. Perry

Guest Laurent.

Who are they? Because I'm not so sure about that. Sadly, it is easier and usually more lucrative to be unoriginal than to spend time being inventive, but that does not mean it is impossible. New discoveries breed new possibilities; therefore new stories.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss

I don't mean to be disagreeable, but I have only seen a few clips, and the term "rip off" didn't really come to mind regarding The Mikado. Are there specific scenes or events that are similar to Mikado, or is it just the basic premise you are referring to. If it's just a matter of the film using the idea of a victim being doomed by the rising number of hits by the public on the web sight, I wouldn't have a problem with that. After all, it seems like it was only a matter of time before someone came up with that idea. If they have an executioner with a hood, a trailer blowing up, the victim being dressed as the bad guy and almost getting shot by the good guy, or any of the story line from The Mikado, I agree, that would be pretty lame. However, if it's an original story based on the basic idea of the "death by web hits", I don't have any problem with it. After all, how many rehashings have we seen of werewolf, vampire, zombie, and other types of movies. I guess I would have to see the film to get a better idea.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest massofspikes

Similar situation: inventively-entitled television-show Profiler--about a forensic profiler who can "see into the minds" of violent offenders"--debuts on NBC in September of 1996; in October of 1996, television-show MillenniuM--about a forensic profiler who can "see into the minds" of violent offenders--debuts on FOX.

Hmmmm.......

So, can we stop with all of this Untraceable is a "Mikado" rip-off stuff?

Edited by massofspikes

Guest Laurent.

I'm not sure what your point is. I agree with you that this movie may not be a "rip-off" from the Millennium episode and people should maybe wait and see how Untraceable turns out... but I certainly hope you're not trying to imply that Millennium wasn't a 100% original show.

Profiler may have had the same premise but it premiered only a month before Millennium... but both show had been in production for a long time before this. Furthermore, Millennium had a major mythological element which had never been used in this kind of show as far as I know.

Guest massofspikes

Boy, I knew THAT would get a response.

My point was this: there's no way to know exactly whence came the idea for Untraceable. I suppose a major motion-picture studio might have used a plot device from a decade-old episode of a relatively obscure television show as a springboard, but--esp. if I were some kind of huge Profiler fan--I could have, at one time, just as well pointed out the specific premiere dates of the two programs in question and implied some sort of...well, just about anything. So I view the speculation surrounding Untraceable to be futile, more or less. (Although, of course, anyone's welcome to openly speculate about whatever s/he wishes; the above is just my opinion.)

Guest Laurent.

Well I perfectly agree with you about Untraceable. Live-internet-murder is not such an extraordinary idea; it is possible that more than one person could independently have such a plot in mind, hell, there's probably a few psychopaths thinking about it right now. Second, it is just a general premise. As someone already mentioned we have seen a lot of different variation around some basic horror ideas; werewolf, vampire, serial killer.... New technologies only breed new possibilities and new stories to be told. But there's still only a finite number of methods to kill someone (I shouldn't be so dark...).

Millennium and X-Files were inspired by a lot of movies and stories which they transformed to make their own... nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Laurent.