The Curse of Frank Black

Rate this topic

Guest peas_and_corn

Guest peas_and_corn

For quite a while I didn't like the episode because to me it seemed to have no point, no purpose. But now... I know it has one, but don't know what it is. The numbers make sense, but what of the repeated letters? He is being advised to walk away from the MM group- why didn't he?

:helpme:

If you are referring to the smoking guy/ghost in the attic..... think of him as temptation. He's telling Frank to take the "easy road", and leave the group.... Leaving the world to fend for itself. It's a test of Frank's dedication to the higher purpose.

Guest Laurent.

It was a recurrent theme in a few episodes of season 2... the temptation of the ordinary. Living a life "doing nothing", or at least without worrying about the future of Mankind or the increasing presence of Evil... the temptation of the devil.

BLURK: What do you do to gut their souls?

ABUM: I don't do squat anymore. They do it all for you.

TOBY: I'm not sure I'm following.

ABUM: Mankind has progressed to a point in its dim-witted history where life has been drained of all of its enchantment. All you got to do is sit back and enjoy.

Greetings all,

The letters and numbers are revealed to be a Biblical reference P&C. Namely Acts of the Apostles, Chapter 26, Verse 8. They lead Frank to a passage intended to validate his experience with Crocell, namely that he is not to doubt the metaphysical nature of the exchange but to accept that communication with disparate spirits is indeed within the capabilities of God. Elements of this episode were used to further the stated intention of the writers to create one arc with two comparative vantage points namely Frank and Lara's. Crocells monologue is intended to encourage Frank to give up his crusade or succumb to the same 'inevitability' that Crocell did and Lara soon would. It also shares thematic similarities with Lucy's mantra in A Room with No View, namely that a life of ordinariness is a safer option than a fruitless crusade against anthropomorphic evil, a war that would not be won on earth but in the heavens. As Crocell asserts "...the time is near and he will win. There's no way he can lose..." an obvious charge to extricate oneself from a war which has an inevitable outcome regardless of the number of casualties amassed during the battle.

This episode is my Halloween staple every year without fail.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest peas_and_corn

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone!

Do people actually do the 'hassling people for candy' thing on halloween in USA?