Where in the Heck Is Bucksnort

Rate this topic

On 12/13/2015 at 4:39 PM, Raven Wolf said:

Yes.... The Old Man was a multi-faceted character that I wish they'd fleshed out more!

So true.  We never really learned very much about The Old Man and all he (she...lol) did, besides storing priceless artifacts, etc.  It would have been nice to have had at least one episode that focused on this very important position with the group.

• Like 1

I always thought of Bucksnort as a fictitious town in Anywhere USA.  There is an interesting place called Bucksport, Maine (on the Atlantic) which has an eerie history pertaining to a resident and his death and his grave.  https://www.ghostvillage.com/ghostcommunity/index.php?showtopic=532  I always thought with some additions to the story, it would make a good X-File (less so for Millennium.)  Anyone heard about it?  Pretty weird place.

Interesting story!  I think it would be great for X-files.  Millennium, maybe,  but X-files definitely.

Bucksnort was most likely in California or Nevada. The mountains were to the west of the town. It is completely fictional of course.

Other comments:

The reason the guy asked the  RV people to move inside the limits was because that had always been safe before.  He didn't know it was no longer safe because  The cabin guy upset the balance.  The smell was the smell of  evil.

• Elders (Moderators)

I don't trust imdb too much - info there often isn't verified. A quick google of the top ten places for deer hunting (as Bucksnort is supposed to be the best, according to the town sign) doesn't include Montana - though what is the "top ten" of anything is pretty subjective.

However, the Urban Dictionary https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bucksnort  has the definition of "A particularly loud fart", and I can well imagine M&W finding that funny (as do I). But, there's a wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucksnort,_Tennessee which says that the term "bucksnort" is "a sound well known to deer hunters since pioneer days".

But as I can't recall deer hunting being part of the episode, I think I'm going with the Urban Dictionary version.

I saw it in the IMDB and on someone's blog.   There is no mention in the episode itself that I can see.  There is a Bucksnort Minnesota, a Bucksnort  Alabama, Bucksnort Tennessee, and a Bucksnort Arkansas.  Since this is a fictional town, It's not going to be in any of those states.  And It's definitely  west of the Rockies.  Since it's a  place the group sends candidates to learn about the group through the old man, we non  candidates aren't meant to know. ;)

• Elders (Moderators)

The current Wikipedia entry for Chris Carter has his birth year wrong, as in 1957. The Wiki person apparently believes the incorrect information from recent blogs, etc. It's clear that the Wiki person hasn't actually watched the X-Files, as CC's birthday is written all over the X-Files, as is also the birthdates of GA and DD, as well as other writers. The very first time-stamp in the pilot episode of the X-Files is 10:56 - October 1956.

I only use Wikipedia for science/medicine stuff, because that's more likely to be challenged by people who actually work in those fields.