Monster

Rate this topic

Guest Jim McLean
I would assume we are all familiar with the text the quote derives from but unless a teacher once stood over you with a violent ruler (yup that's my memory of GCSE English) and forced you to read it it is a little ambiguous out of context. The phrase is essentially a joke, something rueful, mocking, and very much an example of Shakespearean humour. In context it represents the ordinary person's simmering frustrations with law and legal practice. Bemused by the lengthy, sermonizing way the lawyers trudge through their deliberations and arguments the people, already sure of who is to be blame and how punishment should be dispensed, feel that the quickest way to ensure justice is done is to kill the lawyers then pronounce the verdict themselves. Episodically I believe it represents the people's response to the alleged abuse at Penny's Day Care, the communities verdict that she is guilty and their frustration with Law Enforcement's and the Millennium Group's more considered, open minded approach to reaching a conclusion.

Shakespeare this earlier in the week who's have thought it :)

Best wishes,

Eth

Now that's what I call a "slam dunk" reply, though I imagine Eth would call it something a little more articulate than that. :) Dear me, I really need to start watching this show from the start again... just where be the time to do so?