Question about Covenant

Rate this topic

Guest queequeg914

Guest queequeg914

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...I've searched the forum for an answer and didn't find one. Are we meant to assume that William Garry was having an affair with Deputy Reilly? Thanks!!

Here it goes:

Mrs. Garry had an affair with Deputy Reilly that resulted into a pregnancy. Willian Garry had no idea his wife was pregnant.

Mrs Garry killed her children because she saw them as Angels and wanted them to die that way. She then goes to the kitchen and stabs herself. Before she dies, she tells William he made her kill the children

hopes this helps. Check this website out, it helps with answers with episodes:

The Abyss

• Elders (Moderators)

I'm sorry Joe, but I have to disagree here. Mrs. Garry had been faithful to her husband, but Mr. Garry had had an affair with someone. (However, I don't think it was deputy Reilly). Mrs. Garry knew about the affair.

Quote from our episode guide, as well as the Abyss: "Before she died, Mrs. Garry told William that he made her murder the children; that she couldn't bear the thought of bringing another child into a world of adulterers."

• Like 1

I'm sorry Joe, but I have to disagree here. Mrs. Garry had been faithful to her husband, but Mr. Garry had had an affair with someone. (However, I don't think it was deputy Reilly). Mrs. Garry knew about the affair.

Quote from our episode guide, as well as the Abyss: "Before she died, Mrs. Garry told William that he made her murder the children; that she couldn't bear the thought of bringing another child into a world of adulterers."

DBSD - how in the heck are you??? Great to hear from you my good friend....I am in your corner on this one...you will get no arguments here...

4th Horseman

• Elders (Moderators)
DBSD - how in the heck are you???

I'm fine, dear friend, thanks very many. (Except for a nasty flu that has made my nose twice as big as usual, as if it wasn't big enough to begin with. :death: )

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...I've searched the forum for an answer and didn't find one. Are we meant to assume that William Garry was having an affair with Deputy Reilly? Thanks!!

Queequeg914

On the original point regarding Garry and Reilly I wondered if it was the following that led to your assumption.

Reilly: "He said she couldn't bear the thought of living in a world of adulterers... men like him. It was one night. I know. One night. William Garry's the best man I've ever known. There's nothing I wouldn't do for him."

Very little is mentioned during episode with regards to Garry's adultery so I guess it could be anyone, I was just curious as to what made you reach your conclusion.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest queequeg914
Queequeg914

On the original point regarding Garry and Reilly I wondered if it was the following that led to your assumption.

Reilly: "He said she couldn't bear the thought of living in a world of adulterers... men like him. It was one night. I know. One night. William Garry's the best man I've ever known. There's nothing I wouldn't do for him."

Very little is mentioned during episode with regards to Garry's adultery so I guess it could be anyone, I was just curious as to what made you reach your conclusion.

Best wishes,

Eth

I wondered because when Frank talked to the Garry's shrink, he asked if Mrs. Garry had an affair with Deputy Reilly. The shrink said no, that she was faithful...but that she could not reply in the same way for Mr. Garry...I was confused if that just meant he was unfaithful, or that she meant he had had the affair with Deputy Reilly. I read through the episode transcript and the Abyss episode guide, just didn't get an answer.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest F_Black

I didn't get that for a long time either. After finally reading some stuff here and watching it again, the scene with the shrink finally made sense. Garry had an affair. His wife got pregnant but, knowing about the affair, killed herself and the kids for the above reason.

This is why Garry was so intent on being executed. He saw himself as being directly responsible for his wife's murder/suicide. Blood must be repaid with blood and so forth.

Guest Sheree Dawn

Yeah, that's what I got, too.

• 2 months later...
Guest Dustinthewind

I'm not a seasoned member of the boards, in fact this is my first post - but yeah, that's something I've been wondering myself...

The way I see it, William Garry felt guilty because he had been unfaithful (probably only one night, but it was enough to tear his family apart). Mrs Garry blamed herself for her husband's transgression and began to see the world around her as ugly and tainted. She came to the final, horrible conclusion that she had to 'save' her 'angels' from the ugly world when she fell pregnant again to her husband. It was Reilly's comment about his devotion to Garry - something along the line of 'he'd do anything for him' - and the way the character seemed to have his own guilt about the situation that lead me to believe that he was the one Garry had had the one night stand with.

Though you know, I think the writers deliberately left the ending open to interpretation about who had the affair and what Reilly was going to do with what he knew.