Question about Covenant

Rate this topic

Guest queequeg914

Hmmm.

I like the dangling may-not-end-up-being-a-happy ending. It's not too dissimilar from the end of X-Files 2 in that we never find out if Scully saves the boy. It's a cool plot twister that can be put in occasionally to provide some variety.

Now to the affair....or affairs.....

As good an episode as this is, it is kind of interesting that the affair issue is so open-ended to cause this extent of questioning. I guess it says a lot for the rest of the story.

I never got the impression that Riley and Mr. Garry had a fling, but this community has helped me put some of my incorrect 10 year old notions aside!

I always thought that it was Mrs Garry who had the affair, most likely with Riley based on his statement about the "one night," assuming that Frank was on track with his question (as he ususally is!) to the therapist. I assumed that the therapist's response was similar to that of the prosecutor and the rest of the rock-throwing town, in that the prosecutor had it made up in his mind that Mr. Garry was guilty and did not want to hear otherwise.

I think the pregnancy test points to Mrs. Garry having the affair and then feeling guilty about it, and falsely blaming Mr. Garry for it because the marriage, money, etc. were so strained. Wrongly blaming Mr. Garry for a failed marriage is minor distortion of the truth, compared to killing three children and oneself, in my opinion. Mr. Garry was still making ornaments and things for his wife, as Frank pointed out in the episode. My assumption would be that he would have stopped that if he was the adulterer.

Could Riley have felt guilty for having the affair with Mrs. Garry in that he helped Mr Garry perpetuate the lie of what had really happened? Frank strongly, but vaguely (due to editing?), implied that Riley would have to speak up, about the cover-up of the crime scene AND the affair he had.

That's what I still think after all these years...