Visions of Evil in Art

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

To everyone interested in demons, art, or both, this is a must-read: Demons - Visions of Evil in Art by Laura Ward and Will Steeds.

My sweetie gave me the book for my birthday (He knows me so well! :goodvsevil: ), and I simply love it. It's got powerful imagery and very informative explanations and interpretations of various pieces of art.

Here's a couple of pics from one of my favorite artists, Hans Memling.

One of the panels of the Triptych of Earthly Vanity and Divine Salvation (1485)

post-1436-1208264188_thumb.jpg

A detail from The Last Judgement triptych (1467-71)

post-1436-1208264256_thumb.jpg

Hi Darkie,

That certainly strikes me as book not be read at night but the images are certainly evocative.

I wondered if you had ever heard of chap named Austin Osman Spare? I cannot give the man a fair biography in a few short lines but he was essentially a visionary and artist who drew the demons he perceived whilst in trances. Regardless of whatever your instinct tells you about such an assertion his work is incredibly powerful and to be honest there is far more to the man than my simple deconstruction makes apparent. If you haven't heard of him I think you might find his work interesting.

Smiles,

Eth

post-1185-1208278928_thumb.jpg

post-1185-1208278951_thumb.jpg

• Elders (Moderators)

Many thanks to both of you, Sheree and E! Those images you provided are all very interesting.

No, I hadn't heard of Austin Osman Spare before but his work is certainly worth a closer look.

• Elders (Admins)

Those are some amazing images, I find this kind of art really interesting.

If you are interested in this kind of thing or not, don't forget to check out Dontbesodark's fascinating articles on the Art of Millennium, which you can find in our episode guide here.

Guest Sheree Dawn

I find dark and morbid extremely fascinating. Demons are way more interesting than "little girl with fishing pole"

• Elders (Moderators)
I find dark and morbid extremely fascinating.

Me too! Already as a child, I liked Maleficent better than Princess Aurora!

post-1436-1208346457_thumb.jpg

Guest Sheree Dawn
Me too! Already as a child, I liked Maleficent better than Princess Aurora!

post-1436-1208346457_thumb.jpg

You are talking to the person who always roots for the bad guys. In Star Wars 6 or rather #3, I was rooting for Anakin. I wanted him to kick Samuel L. Jackson's ass all over the place. Anyone watch Devil's Rejects? I cried at the end when Captain Spaulding, Baby, and Otis were approaching the road block, ready to face their final moments. They were shot, bloody and beaten, and in the background they were playing "Freebird". I cried and cried....

I think I need a private moment here, and a tissue please.