Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

My Top 5:

5.) 'Via Negativa'

4.) 'Patience'

3.) 'This Is Not Happening'

2.) 'Alone'

1.) 'Within/Without'

I don't remember what the specific ratings for Season 8 were. I do remember that they weren't very low; at least no lower than some Season 7 episodes.

Guest ZeusFaber

It averaged just over 13.5 million viewers, which is higher than Lost's average so far this season, and higher than 24 has ever managed (except for its fifth season), and both those show's are currently hailed as ratings winners.

Hi Gang,

Whilst I have no desire to deplete the success of said Season it is worth noting that 'Lost' exists in a era quite dissimilar, and with far more erratic viewing trends, than those of nearly nine years ago. Apparent dips in Lost's initial ratings were explained by additional information provided by the Nielson DVR ratings, almost every home now has access to hardrive satellite systems which means countless viewers watch at their leisure. Given the modern trends for Ipod Viewing, Mobile Viewing and easy access to torrent sites which allows viewers to download episodes illegally prior to transmission in their respective homelands coupled with ABC's streaming of the episodes on their site must be taken into account. When global surveys were conducted 'Lost' ranked as the second most watched show in the world.

It would be difficult to successfully use US viewer ratings at the time of transmission as a reliable indicator of 'Lost's' ratings versus the 'X-Files' given the extraneous factors that have to be taken into consideration.

That said when I was a committed viewer of the X-Files Season Eight was a refreshing genesis of sorts that I enjoyed very much.

My very best wishes to all,

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

It's interesting about the viewing numbers. The absolute numbers can't be ignored, even given the inherent inaccuracy of Nielsen numbers, which are pretty much equally inaccurate for all shows. But of course circumstances change and that's especially significant for long-running shows such as the X-Files, because it's not always useful to compare viewing figures between all the seasons. It's probably even more difficult for shows like XF whose demographics include people who change their lifestyle, and therefore their viewing habits - I'm thinking particularly of youngsters who go off to college/university and, dare I say it, discover the Student Union Bar and lots of new people to meet!

Most of my favourite episodes from Season 8 are the stand-alones. I'm also influenced by the commentaries (most of which I've typed up) and I get a strong impression from them that the addition of RP/JD gave a boost to the production staff and the main cast. I particularly like Vienen, the interaction between DD and RP worked really well in this episode.

As for Lost - I realised after watching the latest episode that I'm really caring about those characters as I did with MM, but the M&S story on XF was never the key point for me, which is probably why I had so little difficulty adjusting to the changes in the last two seasons.

However Lost ends, and at least the producers have the luxury of a fixed end date well in advance, unlike XF where Fox couldn't make up its mind, I do wonder whether Lost fandom will continue as vigorously as XF (and, of course, MM) has. I get the feeling that once Lost has ended and the final mystery exposed that will be that for most people. I really don't think it has the potential to be as long-lasting in people's minds as XF.

Oops, I've gone a bit off-topic, so I'll try and put together my top five and post them later.

• 2 months later...
Guest kongstuffer

I adore Within/Without......and I admit for the music alone. I crank up the stereo and blast myself near deaf!! I can't seem to get enough. Am I alone in my obsession with this music?

:rock2:

Guest kongstuffer
Which piece? The mystical "we are near" of Scully's theme?

....I guess it shows my ignorance ...... cuz I didn't know the name of the piece. But it is at the beginning of "Within" and is repeated various times therein. I think it sounds middle eastern and I WOULD describe it as mystical.............is that it?

Guest Laurent.

I'll have to watch the episode again to see which one you,re talking about... but is it the one, very memorable, with female vocals repeating intelligibly "we are near"?

we are we are..... we are we are... neeeeaaaaar........... :doh:

Guest kongstuffer
I'll have to watch the episode again to see which one you,re talking about... but is it the one, very memorable, with female vocals repeating intelligibly "we are near"?

we are we are..... we are we are... neeeeaaaaar........... :doh:

Well YES ... that is the one.....you know I guess I am a bit dim....but I never realized she was saying we are near. I was so blow away by the melody I did not connect.....you must think I'm an idiot... :fool: