X-Files Season 8

Rate this topic

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

I know this is an old thread, but it seems daft to start a new one up, just to talk about the same thing.

Basically, I loved Season 8. I consider it a very strong season, with only a very small number of clunkers. In my opinion, only 'Surekill', 'Salvage','The Gift' and 'Medusa' fall below average.

As to my favourites:

1) Within/Without.

2) Patience.

3 Roadrunners.

4)Invocation.

5)Essence/Existence.

One of the worst problems of the season, was that a lot of fans felt very aggrieved over the loss of Mulder, but also that Carter and co started taking some liberties with the established 'facts' (Mulder's unlikely illness which was never even hinted at, the bounty hunter dying to a shot in the back of the neck, when 'Talitha Cumi' made it clear that you need that stiletto etc).

And I think the whole idea of Mulder being buried alive for months in 'Deadalive' and that the virus which needed a vaccine that the Syndicate had sweated long years to produce, could be beaten by anti-viral meds...

It was probably asking a bit much for many. Nevertheless, I think if you can get past that, there is certainly a lot to love about Season 8. Great standalones, wonderful new character in John Doggett and thankfully a return to serious episodes.

That said, I also love Season 9. It has some pretty disastrous mythology episodes, but the standalones were great (but Spotnitz really shouldn't have directed 'Daemonicus' - that projectile vomiting shot is just so awful).

• 1 month later...
Guest WaveCrest

I thought the eighth season was a strong one (even the ninth season had some strong episodes. It's far from the awful season which some people on and off the web have described it as). I still haven't seen "Invocation" and "Lord of the Flies" yet. My favourite Season 8 episodes:

Patience

Roadrunners

Redrum

Via Negativa

Salvage

Medusa

Per Manum

This Is Not Happening (I kind of liked DeadAlive and Three Words (which I thought was the third part of a three part story)

Empedocles (the debut of Monica Reyes :biggrin::thumbsup: )

Alone

Essence/Existence.

Do I spy a Monica Reyes fan in the house Richard? Yup, me too. I loved Doggett and Reyes but here's my current list of favourite season eight episodes which no doubt looks nothing like old lists and will look very different again in a few months. *Ahem* in no particular order of preference....

Within

Without

Roadrunners

Badlaa

The Gift

This Is Not Happening

Empedocles

Essence

Existence

And there you have it :oneeyedwinK

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Do I spy a Monica Reyes fan in the house Richard? Yup, me too. I loved Doggett and Reyes but here's my current list of favourite season eight episodes which no doubt looks nothing like old lists and will look very different again in a few months. *Ahem* in no particular order of preference....

Within

Without

Roadrunners

Badlaa

The Gift

This Is Not Happening

Empedocles

Essence

Existence

And there you have it :oneeyedwinK

Eth

Yes I do have a soft spot for Monica Reyes and Annabeth Gish. :oneeyedwinK Which is why I am a fan of the ninth season. But that's for another topic!

P.S: Finally reached post no.600!

I hear you Richard.

She had some great episodes such as Improbable, Audrey Pauley, John Doe, 4-D and so on and I still fail to understand why on earth Annabeth and Robert were not brought back to fulfill the functions of Amanda Peet and Xzibit in I Want To Believe. Although I do love the character I do wish they had gone with the original vision of her which was a female Frank Black kind of role (hints of this were present in her first episode) and I loved the fact she was a smoker, don't ask me why - just something different to Dana I guess, but she was a little diluted by the time season nine came around. Still, a great character, great actress and if there is a third X-Files film I Want To Believe she will be back.

Eth

Guest Black's Babe

Reyes was okay, but I loved me some Doggett!

Scully never realized he had feelings for her, poor guy came along late in the game.

Their 1st scene together was awesome, still L0L at how RED tossed water in his face.

Favorite episodes/8th season

Within/Without

Roadrunners(Doggett was The Man, loved how he went in and got Scully)

Via Negativa

Medusa

Vienen

Alone

Invocation

Redrum