Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WhiteWolf

What Are You Reading Now?

Every good Book forum needs a thread like this. I know because I have My own book forums.

I just recently finished reading a big, epic series, the first fantasy series I've ever read, by an author named Tad Williams. But now I'm really craving some hardcore Science Fiction, and Alastair Reynolds does not disappoint. I have heard a lot of good things about this one especially:

pilg.jpg

From the back cover:

2057. Bella Lind and the crew of her nuclearpowered ship, the Rockhopper, push ice. They mine comets. But when Janus, one of Saturn's ice moons, inexplicably leaves its natural orbit and heads out of the solar system at high speed, Bella is ordered to shadow it for the few vital days before it falls forever out of reach.

In accepting this mission she sets her ship and her crew on a collision course with destiny-for Janus has many surprises in store, and not all of them are welcome...

Good topic! I'm stuck for time at the moment, but I did grab a copy of Stephen Ambrose's Citizen Soldiers off the shelf to read again last week. Its an amazing thought provoking and moving book, full of factual events, accounts and commentary from WWII US Soldiers. If you enjoyed reading or watching Band of Brothers, you won't be dissapointed. You can read a few pages by clicking the image below.

Synopsis

From the author of "D-Day" and "Band of Brothers" comes the story of the ordinary soldiers in Northwest Europe from the day after D-Day until the end of the bittersweet days of the war. It opens at 00:01 hours, June 7, 1944 on the Normandy Beaches and ends at 02:45 hours, May 7, 1945. In between comes the battles in the hedgerows of Normandy; the breakout of Saint-Lo, the Falaise gap; Patton tearing through France; the liberation of Paris; the attempt to leap the Rhine in operation Market-Garden; the near-miraculous German recovery; the battles around Metz and in the Huertgen Forest; the Battle of the Bulge; the capture of the bridge at Remagen; and ends with the overunning of Germany. From the enlisted men and junior officers, Ambrose draws on hundreds of interviews and oral histories from those on both sides of the war. The experience of these citizen soldiers reveals the ordinary sufferings and hardships of war. They overcame their fear and inexperience, the mistakes of their high command and their enemy, to win the war.

4174P5N2DZL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU02_AA240_SH20_.jpg

When I was driving on trips I found 'books on cd' a great alternative to the radio. I am saving up to buy 'Lord of the Rings'. but first I want to listen to some of it, the reader makes a big difference :alien2:

JOHN SANDFORD is my fave. This year his Prey series title is Phantom Prey. If I only get to read 1 book a year, his would be it.

Right now I'm re-reading the Orson Scott Card Ender's Game series. I really prefer the novels after Ender's Shadow, but I'm going off on the Speaker for the Dead tangent now. It's been interesting.

I also just read The Host by Stephanie Meyer- I thought the concept looked intriguing- alien "souls" take over humans, decimating the world's population- but some human consciousness can fight back and reclaim their bodies- I enjoyed it.

Next up? Who knows- my dad is coming up to visit this weekend, and he always brings fun gory crime novels.

OK, I'm reading Carter's Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid, which is a quite enjoyable and easy to read book.

For research I'm enjoying Mead's Special Providence: American Foreign Policy and How it Changed the World.

My tastes run a bit on the dark side with my favorite authors being Poe and H.P. Lovecraft...at present i am reading a collection of H.P. stories..."The Shadow over Innsmouth", "At The Mountains of Madness", "Cthulhu Mythos"...

4th Horseman

post-1098-1210749338_thumb.jpg

I just finished up my Stephen King book, DUMA KEY. I have everything he's ever wrote in hardcover, with the exception of the things that were never printed in HC.

I also finished his son's second book, 20TH CENTURY GHOSTS. I am going to be a collector of his work as well. Ya oughtta read HEART SHAPED BOX.

My book, or rather BOOKS, at the moment are various text on the Faery kingdom; I'm reasearching a book of my own, The Fontana Faeries

My tastes in book are similar to 4th horseman's.

I'm usually re-reading Poe's and Lovecraft's short stories once in a while. But right now I spend most of my reading time one two books:

Stephen KING's Gunslinger

Eric Kandel's Search of Memory

P.S. @ WhiteWolf; one of my frind has been telling me to read Alastair Reynolds' series, especially because he's a physicist and tries to use his knowledge in his books. I might get on with it in a while, but right now King's Dark Tower series will satisfy my fiction reading craving for some time.

My tastes in book are similar to 4th horseman's.

I'm usually re-reading Poe's and Lovecraft's short stories once in a while. But right now I spend most of my reading time one two books:

Stephen KING's Gunslinger

Eric Kandel's Search of Memory

P.S. @ WhiteWolf; one of my frind has been telling me to read Alastair Reynolds' series, especially because he's a physicist and tries to use his knowledge in his books. I might get on with it in a while, but right now King's Dark Tower series will satisfy my fiction reading craving for some time.

a lot of the folks I know who are also reader's of Stephen King's don't care for the Gunslinger series of books. I love his work unconditionally, love EVERYTHING. But found the Gunslinger stuff to be very different, at least initially. It kinda reminded me of the TALISMAN later on in the series. But I found it wonderfully complex, requiring your FULL attention when you were reading it. If you didn't pay attention, you would miss something.

How far have you gotten into the series?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.