Top 5 Episodes you would rather avoid

Rate this topic

Guest Bono

Guest quentin compson

Season 2:

Owls

Roosters

(I think it was a good idea to develop the background of the Millennium Group more than it had been done in Season 1, but this just didn't feel right to me at all)

A Single Blade of Grass

(could have been good because of an interesting topic with this Native American touch, but was just not very well written or directed)

In Arcadia Ego

(foreseeable and rather boring)

Anamnesis

(Lara is a great sidekick, and I liked that they gave Catherine more room in the second season, but those two are not gripping enough without Frank Black)

• 2 months later...
Guest frankblack13

my list

1. Anamnesis (because Lance wasn't in this episode! how the hell could be Millennium without him in it? that doesn't make any effing sense!!!!! :angry:

2.A Room With No View (that love is blue song is annoying and it was kind of a gross episode)

3.IN ARCADIA EGO (it was flat out boring)

4.The Fourth Horseman (because it scares the crap out of me! I have the hardest time not wanting to scream when the family in the bbq scene starts bleeding and dropping dead)

5. The Time is Now (the ending is such a mind f#cker with the static going and the song "In the year 2525 starts playing, it's sooo creepy!!!) *hides*

Well you've picked some of my favourites from that season so I guess we won't be sharing a bowl of popcorn and a sofa (Frank and Emma style) any time soon :oneeyedwinK I still find it thrilling to see how Millennium has affected people in so many different ways with no two 'best' or 'worst' lists ever being identical or even close if I'm honest.

That said, I do find it odd that someone would join a forum and create a 'worst' discussion thread as their only contribution to it. When I joined I so much good stuff to espouse that discussing the worst bits never entered my head.

Again, it fascinates me to see what makes people tick, what compels them to discuss Millennium and what topics about the show they prefer to discuss.

Eth

no two 'best' or 'worst' lists ever being identical

I've left a few comments regarding some of the episodes on other threads and hopefully have mentioned the good parts of them, whether I liked the episode or not. For example, hearing the song, "Love Is Blue," throughout the episode, did begin to get on my nerves after awhile, but remember, that's what brings the viewers into the torment the teenagers were experiencing. The more annoyed you are, the more you ache on the inside for Frank black to rescue them, therefore getting caught up in the story. Excellent writing.

Obviously, "A Single Blade of Grass," is not a favorite. And in defense of the episode I'd like to say that possibly one the greatest points the writers have brought out into the open is how beliefs, doctrines, religions, cults, you name it, run with a truth and then eventually pervert it to suit their needs or circumstances. God honors faith, and even though the prophetic events that came to pass were not what some of the American Indians expected, it still happened. It's a powerful lesson for all of us, to seek the truth first, before we have expectations.

I personally have tried to do my best to remember how many writers are in a season, and there are at least 9 writers for season 2, each with their own perspective of the series, just as all of us here have. I truly believe that the variety of subjects that MLM brought to the screen is one of the main things that made it such a fantastic series. If all the episodes were closely related, the show would have been very boring.

Guest frankblack13

I would watch the 4th horseman and the time is now episode again if someone could talk me through the scary bits :oneeyedwinK

I'll go one better than that Heather I'll even sing Patti Smith's Horses to you complete with descriptions of the relevant scenes when they happen. I guess popcorn is on me then. Nice to see you back with us by the way and I hope all is going well at Myspace?

Better invest in a little chamomile tea as well, the voice is rusty :)

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

I personally have tried to do my best to remember how many writers are in a season, and there are at least 9 writers for season 2, each with their own perspective of the series, just as all of us here have. I truly believe that the variety of subjects that MLM brought to the screen is one of the main things that made it such a fantastic series. If all the episodes were closely related, the show would have been very boring.

All of what you've said in your post, Earthnut, is well worth reading, but this particular point that you make is one well worth highlighting because it is part of what made MM such a fascinating show.

Unfortunately, many studios/networks want to go the safe, standard format. I know I've complained about 20th Fox often enough, but they did get some gold stars from me for allowing MM to be as individual as it was.

Guest frankblack13

I'll go one better than that Heather I'll even sing Patti Smith's Horses to you complete with descriptions of the relevant scenes when they happen. I guess popcorn is on me then. Nice to see you back with us by the way and I hope all is going well at Myspace?

Better invest in a little chamomile tea as well, the voice is rusty :)

Eth

ok ^_^ myspace is fine but facebook has been bothering me lately thanks for asking :frank_black:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest ModernDayMoriarty

It'd be much easier for me to say which S2 episodes I did like, as I really hated what the show became in this season (it's by far my least favourite, as long time viewers of this forums will know).

But these are my choices nevertheless for the 5 lowest points:

1) Monster.

As I've said many times, this episodes simply doesn't move me at all. The 'demon child' doesn't feel evil at all, and the whole thing just looks like some telefilm you'd see on Hallmark.

2) A Single Blade of Grass.

A great intro, which quickly sinks into utter absurdity. It's poorly written in the extreme, lacking any sense of real menace or gravitas. And again, it feels like a B-list sci-fi adventure film.

3) The Hand of Saint Sebastian.

A decent premise and much applause to James Wong for wanting to focus on Peter Watts a bit more. But the portrayal of the Nazi style organisation (and Germans in general) was ludicrous. The German detective and the internet sex chats sections nail the coffin shut. Just awful.

4) Midnight of the Century.

Another good start (the party at Peter's house), but a dire episode thereafter. Whereas 'The Curse of Frank Black' was also pretty cheesy, it still had that element of deranged magic to it, that made it work, despite the fact it probably shouldn't have. MOTC however, was just schmaltzy and full of 'Angels lend a helping hand in family disputes at Yuletide'. Giving his mother that 'gift' also, may seem magical to some, but it just made the series feel significantly less real to me (a complaint I have with this season in general).

5) Anamesis.

Yes, that's all 3 of Maher and Reindl's episodes included. This is a hugely poor episode though. Again, it lacks any sense of credibility. The apparition in the church is particularly poorly done. The whole episode needed a massive injection of realism and proper 'Magic and Menace' to make it work. I have often described M+R episodes as Morgan and Wong-lite and this is just another example of that.

And that's how I feel. 5 'strong' contenders for the worst of Season 2, although I could easily have included '19:19', 'Owls/Roosters (particularly 'Roosters) or 'Somehow Satan Got Behind me.'

'Siren' is a pretty dreadful episode, (not least because the Siren herself is so uttely lacking in fascination and/or menace), but it has enough edge to it (particularly in the dream sequences), to lift it above the 'unacceptable' zone, IMO.