s3 virgin

Rate this topic

3x15: Forcing the End

Is this the 'more political' direction? What concerns the Middle East problem is usually portrayed with Muslim terrorists, it was refreshing to see something from the "other side"! Even if I didn't get something: if this was an extremist group of Jews, then why did they use imagery from the Apocalypse (the New Testament book)? The ep seemed to be building up something about the Group, adding to the backstory of the Group as it's presented in s3. Emma finally gets to shine with her investigative skills, and that's really good! But I don't now why they had to ruin everything with that long and ridiculous helicopter scene at the end...like Antipas, s3 doesn't know how to end its episodes fittingly. But overall a good outing.

3x16: Saturn Dreaming of Mercury

Quite a bit of weirdness in this episode. It was great that they addressed Jordan's gift to that extent (and Brittany should be right there in the opening title credits!). Even so, why she kept complaining about the father (that same demon prosthetic make-up again!) when the real evil is revealed to be the son is beyond me. I didn't expect Lucy to pop up again so I was really surprised. There were many things that were left unexplained: the eyes (which were a nice spooky addition), the "thing" in the basement furnace, the "007" message in the computer screens, who Simon is... I'm not satisfied with the explanation that Simon is the ghost of a previous victim; his name sounds more angelic to me, a being guiding Jordan to uncover the evil -- but this gets her into much trouble, so the angelic presence is ambiguous. I say this with each episode, but I'll need to see it again to "get it" more!

Guest ZeusFaber
why she kept complaining about the father (that same demon prosthetic make-up again!) when the real evil is revealed to be the son is beyond me.

My interpretation of this is that it was because Jordan is so young, and that her instincts aren't nearly as refined as Frank's yet. She's beginning to get a sense of evil, but she can't pinpoint it accurately yet.

Guest Jim McLean
My interpretation of this is that it was because Jordan is so young, and that her instincts aren't nearly as refined as Frank's yet. She's beginning to get a sense of evil, but she can't pinpoint it accurately yet.

For what it's worth, the same here. She made the same error in Siren as I recall, believing the Serien was intending to save her father - it was in a way she didn't quite grasp.

Been a way for a while, I feel sad to have missed this episode by episode muse. Curses!

Edited by Jim McLean

Gosh Laredo good to see you back :)

I do agree with you and believe there is good reason to assert as you do. During the climatic 'reveal' and the transfiguration of Lucas into Lucy it is made quite clear, to my mind, that the physical form of whatever entity Jordan senses belies its true nature. Whilst 'Lucas' is most certainly a child the demonic entity that possesses him is not. In 'Monster' it is proffered that Danielle is an 'old soul' and therein is the evidence to support Jordan's confused assumptions as both Lara and Frank, with their honed abilities, sense a more developed maturation in those individuals who are indicative of whatever 'evil' they strive to eradicate. Whether or not we are dealing with infant or adult manifestations it is certainly supported to state that there is ambiguity when appraising them by way of the characters facilities.

Best wishes,

Eth

A Few years back i had posted in RavenWolf thread meaning on this episode. To my amazement alot of the members here liked and agreed to my logic on this confusing episode, so if you all dont mind i am gonna repost my thoughts on this epsiode:

Since this episode is mainly about Jordan, she represents Mercury. Like Mercury she is small, sure footed and fast.

Saturn represents Lucy and her minions including Lucas. Saturn the planet is huge and cold, a big gas ball. It is also the 9th planet away from the sun. I tend to think the Sun represents GOD. Mercury is closer to GOD.

Saturn is envious of Mercury. Always thinking of Mercury. Saturn dreams of Mercury.

Conclusion:

Evil concentrates on those that expose them. Frank and Jordan are the ones that has that ability. They are Mercury

I like your interpretation of the title a lot, HPD. It sure makes sense, and the proximity to the Sun/God/light is a theme that is found again in Seven And One -- another Carter & Spotnitz script. After all this I'll have to go back on the rest of the forum and read some older meaty threads.

Predictably enough, I got late on my mini-reviews. I just saw Seven And One...wow! Season 3, with a rather weak beginning and a resolutely para-military direction for the Group, just didn't seem exceptional. 1013 does good shows, but there was something missing. As the season progressed, however, they seemed to find a good direction; beginning with Matryoshka, the Group veers more on morally ambiguous scientific research rather than just being Defense subcontractors; the Legion mythology focuses around the characters with Saturn and Seven&One. By these later episodes, the series seems to have found its voice again -- different from s2, but solid. A great buildup! I'll be back with more as soon as I can spare some time.

3x17: Darwin's Eye

What an excellent episode! The script toys with the perception of the viewer and how since season 2 the fans make up all these conspiracy theories that tie everything together -- even more so in season 3. Is it all part of a Master Plan, are there powers above that control us like puppets, seen only by the initiated, or is all this mess the product of random actions of individual reason -- and craziness -- or is it a mixture of both? Do we see signs where we should see none? What best way to illustrate this than with the eye, the organ that has been put forward by anti-Darwinians as being to complex to be created by natural evolution, the organ that would be the 'proof' of God. Emma proves very well her investigative abilities that go crescendo throughout the season. I sense that there's more to her father and his military background but again, the imagery is intermixed with things that are or aren't all linked together -- an uncertainty that feels as in real life! And how cool was that teaser? I didn't know that Blur song and now I'm hooked!

3x18: Bardo Thodol

Another episode where the Group's morally dubious agenda explores "fringe science", although we're only given bits and pieces of what that might really be (human cloning it seems, or regenerative genetic treatment?). Emma's obsession with the Group and shadowy appearances by Peter set up something juicy in the finale (I hope), while Frank's "guidance" of the dying scientist to the light was a role I expected would be filled by the buddhist monk. The climax, when Mabius finally shows up and doesn't kill anybody but just bows and leaves, felt like a scene from some Yakuza movie! I'm sure I've missed many undertones of the episode because of my unfamiliarity with buddhist practices (eg the bowl) -- buddhism is a theme that is not 'standard' MLM territory, despite its humanistic themes the series has had a much more judeo-christian approach (though we've already had "Siren" dealing with Asian myths).

3x19: Seven and One

This episode was about...what was this episode about? Everything! Polaroids, like from the "Pilot" (and this time it's not the Polaroid Stalker nor a copycat but Legion: could it be that the Polaroid Stalker was a temporary medium for Legion as well?). References to Catherine and the Yellow House. An intruder in the house, like in "Lamentation". Frank feels that somebody is trying to tell him something, like in "Midnight of the Century". Childhood flashbacks like in "The Curse of FB". Legion feeding off fear, like in "Lamentation" (again) or "Antipas". It feels like this episode is bringing a thousand threads together -- as if Carter finally found some time to work seriously on MillenniuM after "Lamentation"! About the FBI profiler being Mabius being Legion -- I'm not too sure what to make of that. Obviously the Group has been corrupted by evil, but does that mean that Mabius has always been Legion? I don't think so but the transformation scene does imply this -- can be argued both ways. Emma has a very important role here, thankfully, and in scenes that can only mean that Legion has taken an interest in her as well. Easily one of the best eps in the series!

Oh, by the way: Frank's hair have indeed progressively turned white over the season! Nice touch! Emma's character has grown a lot in the later episodes, that's very comforting compared to the first half of the season where I was craving for character development or even screen time.

Can anybody tell me when was the decision taken not to renew the show? I believe it was made after the season finale aired but I'm not sure.

Guest Jim McLean
3x17: Darwin's Eye

What an excellent episode! The script toys with the perception of the viewer and how since season 2 the fans make up all these conspiracy theories that tie everything together -- even more so in season 3. Is it all part of a Master Plan, are there powers above that control us like puppets, seen only by the initiated, or is all this mess the product of random actions of individual reason -- and craziness -- or is it a mixture of both? Do we see signs where we should see none? What best way to illustrate this than with the eye, the organ that has been put forward by anti-Darwinians as being to complex to be created by natural evolution, the organ that would be the 'proof' of God. Emma proves very well her investigative abilities that go crescendo throughout the season. I sense that there's more to her father and his military background but again, the imagery is intermixed with things that are or aren't all linked together -- an uncertainty that feels as in real life! And how cool was that teaser? I didn't know that Blur song and now I'm hooked!

This is something I recall debating with Eth, with no avail. I've always felt the episode would work better if it took off the opening narrative, and maybe the closing - even though the closing is quite nice, and let the visuals of Dawin's Eye carry the title with a little more ambiguity. The narrative strikes a little of a need to reinforce the title in the show, a little like the narrative dub on Blade Runner - it doesn't really add anything, merely confuses the content a little artificially. I guess you could say the opening narrative masks the story's payoff a little more by making the girl seem a little more of a victim to the world around her.

Still, a great episode.

3x18: Bardo Thodol

Another episode where the Group's morally dubious agenda explores "fringe science", although we're only given bits and pieces of what that might really be (human cloning it seems, or regenerative genetic treatment?). Emma's obsession with the Group and shadowy appearances by Peter set up something juicy in the finale (I hope), while Frank's "guidance" of the dying scientist to the light was a role I expected would be filled by the buddhist monk. The climax, when Mabius finally shows up and doesn't kill anybody but just bows and leaves, felt like a scene from some Yakuza movie! I'm sure I've missed many undertones of the episode because of my unfamiliarity with buddhist practices (eg the bowl) -- buddhism is a theme that is not 'standard' MLM territory, despite its humanistic themes the series has had a much more judeo-christian approach (though we've already had "Siren" dealing with Asian myths).

There is loads of fascinating stuff in Bardo - and I recommend doing a little forum searching as Eth came up with some really interesting notions about the nature of the bowl and what it represents that fit very well with the story.

3x19: Seven and One

This episode was about...what was this episode about? Everything! Polaroids, like from the "Pilot" (and this time it's not the Polaroid Stalker nor a copycat but Legion: could it be that the Polaroid Stalker was a temporary medium for Legion as well?). References to Catherine and the Yellow House. An intruder in the house, like in "Lamentation". Frank feels that somebody is trying to tell him something, like in "Midnight of the Century". Childhood flashbacks like in "The Curse of FB". Legion feeding off fear, like in "Lamentation" (again) or "Antipas". It feels like this episode is bringing a thousand threads together -- as if Carter finally found some time to work seriously on MillenniuM after "Lamentation"! About the FBI profiler being Mabius being Legion -- I'm not too sure what to make of that. Obviously the Group has been corrupted by evil, but does that mean that Mabius has always been Legion? I don't think so but the transformation scene does imply this -- can be argued both ways. Emma has a very important role here, thankfully, and in scenes that can only mean that Legion has taken an interest in her as well. Easily one of the best eps in the series!

Initially I didn't think it was inferring Mabius was evil, but Evil was showing the shrink the essence of what Frank feared - but I think I was wrong. The inference is that Evil is in the group and yes, I think Mabius is a manifestation of Legion. Which makes sense, for if the nature of the group has been corrupted in its 20th Century rebirth to commit such morally questionable acts (end of season two for instance), stands to reason that maybe Legion is a very real facet that is slowly creating the Group to impact in on its own agenda, turning its fight against Legion in on itself.

Can anybody tell me when was the decision taken not to renew the show? I believe it was made after the season finale aired but I'm not sure.

I could be wrong (as I've followed too many production axing to remember which story aligns to which show), but I'm sure with Millennium they knew it was being canceled well before transmission, or at least, the very strong likelihood it wasn't going to renewed.

Hi Oro,

Whilst I wouldn't swear to this on the Bible I vaguely remember the issue of Brian Dixon's 'Millennial Comet' that spoke of the cancellation of the series and then went on to discuss the final arc of the series that it stated would take place over the next seven episodes. Whilst I can not be sure the exact timing of cancellation with regards to production I know, at least, that viewers were aware fairly early on.

I am loving your reviews and urge you to go searching through the forums for Bardo Thodol. It is a magnificent piece in my mind which finds exposition not in Eastern theology but in Alchemy. The truly bold thing, with regards to the narrative, is that the writers chose not to provide elucidation with regards to some of the complex mythology that informed the narrative but allowed the sense of bewilderment that such lack of clarity created to be an element of the storytelling. I always choose this as one of my all time favorites and rarely find anyone who champions it as I do but in not force feeding the plot or leading us by the hand through it I felt it was one of the bravest Millennium epsiodes to date.

Best wishes,

Eth

This is something I recall debating with Eth, with no avail. I've always felt the episode would work better if it took off the opening narrative, and maybe the closing - even though the closing is quite nice, and let the visuals of Dawin's Eye carry the title with a little more ambiguity. The narrative strikes a little of a need to reinforce the title in the show, a little like the narrative dub on Blade Runner - it doesn't really add anything, merely confuses the content a little artificially. I guess you could say the opening narrative masks the story's payoff a little more by making the girl seem a little more of a victim to the world around her.

Darwin's Eye: Comparing it to the Blade Runner voice-over is a stretch! Contrary to BR, I think the voice-over here rather added to the ambiance rather than detracted from it. What's more, there weren't lots of it but the two instances rather worked as bookends. The first 'lured' the viewer to sympathize with the girl; the last one comes after the realization of what twisted mind she has, yet the ideas presented are the same. The person behind these ideas has committed horrible acts, but should that be reason enough to discard them as horrible and flawed as well? But I feel what you're saying: the title "Darwin's Eye" is explained fully in those narrative dubs -- quite the contrary compared to "Saturn...". As a prescience of the themes that were to be illustrated in the rest of the episode, I think they were quite well written.

Initially I didn't think it was inferring Mabius was evil, but Evil was showing the shrink the essence of what Frank feared - but I think I was wrong. The inference is that Evil is in the group and yes, I think Mabius is a manifestation of Legion. Which makes sense, for if the nature of the group has been corrupted in its 20th Century rebirth to commit such morally questionable acts (end of season two for instance), stands to reason that maybe Legion is a very real facet that is slowly creating the Group to impact in on its own agenda, turning its fight against Legion in on itself.

Indeed it ties in with other suggestions that 'evil' has corrupted the Group from the inside. What discomforted me at first is that it presents Mabius as being evil, a character we've seen many other times and that we've come to think of a 'normal' Group member. Did this man's work in the Group made him more vulnerable to Legion's calling? Was Mabius acting under the influence of Legion from the beginning? Or was Mabius a creation of Legion itself finding its way into the Group? The fact that this scene sprang up all these questions made me realize that it achieves very well its purpose -- it all comes down to the nature of evil, a human creation or an exterior force?

I am loving your reviews and urge you to go searching through the forums for Bardo Thodol. It is a magnificent piece in my mind which finds exposition not in Eastern theology but in Alchemy. The truly bold thing, with regards to the narrative, is that the writers chose not to provide elucidation with regards to some of the complex mythology that informed the narrative but allowed the sense of bewilderment that such lack of clarity created to be an element of the storytelling.

In essence, a technique like in Anamnesis? I'll certainly be checking all the other threads after I'm finished with my viewing -- I'm sure there have been lots of great discussions while I wasn't here.

Thank you both for your feedback. I'm finding I'm enjoying this third season much more than I had anticipated!