Another 2012 analysis

Rate this topic

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest Sheree Dawn

I subscribe to the theory that there will be a spiritual awakening, the "end of the world as we know it"

Now I'm not saying anything extreme, like we will wake up on 12/22 and all be highly evolved beings--there are too many stupid people for that to happen. Evolution can only do so much in any given time.

(post script)

note to everyone who read this...

always finish a post before imbibing in an alcoholic beverage cuz you'll never be able to finish your thoughts.

What to do about all those stupid people? Many of those that buy into an advancement in man or some new super age write about having to deal with all the unenlightened stupid people. I don't think I want any part of a movement that wants to write off so many people. Where's the compassion?

Guest Kinjiru

There are some genuinely stupid people out there - the poor souls. There are a great many more people that simply refuse to think - for them I have no compassion.

The vast majority of folk, though (IMHO), are just caught up in everyday life and have little energy to spare for reflective contemplation. Given a removal or easement of some of these overwhelming demands, I suspect most people would choose to spend more time engaging their minds on a more regular basis.

Which is why those few folks that can work through the daily grind and still manage to be thoughtful members of society should be celebrated. Perhaps this is a somewhat elitist view, but 'tis how I feel.

The vast majority of folk, though (IMHO), are just caught up in everyday life and have little energy to spare for reflective contemplation. Given a removal or easement of some of these overwhelming demands, I suspect most people would choose to spend more time engaging their minds on a more regular basis.

Which is why those few folks that can work through the daily grind and still manage to be thoughtful members of society should be celebrated. Perhaps this is a somewhat elitist view, but 'tis how I feel.

That, Kinjiru, is one very insightful post! And it happens to be my view as well. One is always tempted to categorize the many, the pleb, as the thoughtless, the manipulable, the stupid. At the opposite end of the spectrum would sit the enlightened, the intellectuals, the "chosen ones". While such a rough divide does make some sense, and we too rarely see people from either side interact with the other, it is perhaps too hasty and elitist. This "majority" never chose to lead the life it does, each was born in a situation and tries to make the best of it; some were given a more advantageous starting point; many weren't. It's difficult enough to deal with everyday tasks, let alone open up and lead original thinking.

Surely some here must be familiar with Maslow's pyramid. Basic human needs at the bottom, and as the quality of life rises so do the emotional/spiritual/intellectual value of the needs.

Maslow

Wiki page

The majority still struggles with the basic stuff, even in our advanced and civilized societies.

Still, the later decades and the use of the internet have opened up what seems like an explosion of human expression, millions of people creating, thinking, expressing themselves, in ways that by comparison to earlier centuries feel like a revolution. Of course, each one stands on the shoulders of giants, but the sheer amount of cultural activity and information that is created must be a sign. Has the time for change come? At the risk of being cynical I'd say that yes, there are more literate and creative people more than ever in human history, and yes the living standards have improved to an all-time high. But the population has increased so much as well, so much that after all, proportionately, are we really that closer to the point where all have satisfied their basic needs and look forward to other, "higher", activities? Or are we, the few privileged with literacy, internet access, and a morbid interest for a dark TV series, the equivalent of ancient Rome's middle class with thousands of slaves providing for the material infrastructure that allow us this luxury?

/rant

Guest Sheree Dawn
Makes you wonder what deadline there will be to obsess on after 2000 and 2012 eh?

The Owls will say 2058...

I give... why 2058?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I've been highly medicated the last couple of days---pneumonia and too many pills to keep me from functioning rationally.

Hi Sheree,

Gosh you look after yourself chicken, lots of rest and fluids and a little Whisky wouldn't hurt :)

I believe it is a reference to Lara's breakdown of Owl Eschatology as seen in 'Roosters' in which she states "The Owls claim to have proof, that this tear, this expanding cosmic bubble, will reach our solar system within the next sixty years. And a new universe, its properties calculated anywhere between apocalyptic and inconsequential, will be created".

I sure hope they're wrong lol :)

Eth

Guest Sheree Dawn
Hi Sheree,

Gosh you look after yourself chicken, lots of rest and fluids and a little Whisky wouldn't hurt :)

I believe it is a reference to Lara's breakdown of Owl Eschatology as seen in 'Roosters' in which she states "The Owls claim to have proof, that this tear, this expanding cosmic bubble, will reach our solar system within the next sixty years. And a new universe, its properties calculated anywhere between apocalyptic and inconsequential, will be created".

I sure hope they're wrong lol :)

Eth

thanks for the refresher course. The whiskey does help in a concoction mixed with honey and peppermint. And a shot straight to chase it down, :swingin:

I remember her saying that, but since I was watching it in rerun, never gave it thought since I had no idea what year that episode was about.