Deadly Intestinal Superbug

Rate this topic

Darth Paul

Gut superbug causing more illnesses, deaths

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer - Wed May 28, 4:03 PM PDTProvided by:

ATLANTA - The number of people hospitalized with a dangerous intestinal superbug has been growing by more than 10,000 cases a year, according to a new study.

The germ, resistant to some antibiotics, has become a regular menace in hospitals and nursing homes. The study found it played a role in nearly 300,000 hospitalizations in 2005, more than double the number in 2000.

The infection, Clostridium difficile, is found in the colon and can cause diarrhea and a more serious intestinal condition known as colitis. It is spread by spores in feces. But the spores are difficult to kill with most conventional household cleaners or antibacterial soap.

C-diff, as it's known, has grown resistant to certain antibiotics that work against other colon bacteria. The result: When patients take those antibiotics, competing bacteria die off and C-diff explodes.

This virulent strain of C-diff was rarely seen before 2000.

"The nature of this infection is changing. It's more severe," said Dr. L. Clifford McDonald, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expert who was not part of the study.

There are other factors that play into the rise of C-diff cases as well, including a larger of number of patients who are older and sicker. "And there may be some overuse and inappropriate use of antibiotics," said Dr. Marya Zilberberg, a University of Massachusetts researcher and lead author of the study.

The Zilberberg study was based on a sample of more than 36 million annual discharges from non-governmental U.S. hospitals. That data was used to generate the study's national estimates.

The research is being published in the June issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases, a CDC publication.

Using other scientists' estimates, the study concluded that 2.3 percent of the cases in 2004 were fatal — about 5,500 deaths. That was nearly double the percentage of C-diff-related cases that ended in death in 2000.

Many of the people who died had other health problems. The study did not try to determine if Clostridium difficile was the main cause of death in each case, Zilberberg said.

But earlier research concluded the infection is the underlying cause of thousands of deaths annually, and the problem is getting worse.

C-diff has become an acute health concern in Canada, where it was blamed for 260 deaths at seven Ontario hospitals recently, and 2,000 deaths in Quebec since 2002.

The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology is currently working with U.S. hospitals to study prevalence of the infection and what infection control measures seem to work best.

"This is not a time for alarm, but more a time for educating health professionals to understand this particular pathogen," said Kathy Warye, chief executive of the Washington, D.C.-based association

Gut superbug causing more illnesses, deaths

By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer - Wed May 28, 4:03 PM PDTProvided by:

ATLANTA - The number of people hospitalized with a dangerous intestinal superbug has been growing by more than 10,000 cases a year, according to a new study.

The germ, resistant to some antibiotics, has become a regular menace in hospitals and nursing homes. The study found it played a role in nearly 300,000 hospitalizations in 2005, more than double the number in 2000.

The infection, Clostridium difficile, is found in the colon and can cause diarrhea and a more serious intestinal condition known as colitis. It is spread by spores in feces. But the spores are difficult to kill with most conventional household cleaners or antibacterial soap.

C-diff, as it's known, has grown resistant to certain antibiotics that work against other colon bacteria. The result: When patients take those antibiotics, competing bacteria die off and C-diff explodes.

This virulent strain of C-diff was rarely seen before 2000.

"The nature of this infection is changing. It's more severe," said Dr. L. Clifford McDonald, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expert who was not part of the study.

There are other factors that play into the rise of C-diff cases as well, including a larger of number of patients who are older and sicker. "And there may be some overuse and inappropriate use of antibiotics," said Dr. Marya Zilberberg, a University of Massachusetts researcher and lead author of the study.

The Zilberberg study was based on a sample of more than 36 million annual discharges from non-governmental U.S. hospitals. That data was used to generate the study's national estimates.

The research is being published in the June issue of Emerging Infectious Diseases, a CDC publication.

Using other scientists' estimates, the study concluded that 2.3 percent of the cases in 2004 were fatal — about 5,500 deaths. That was nearly double the percentage of C-diff-related cases that ended in death in 2000.

Many of the people who died had other health problems. The study did not try to determine if Clostridium difficile was the main cause of death in each case, Zilberberg said.

But earlier research concluded the infection is the underlying cause of thousands of deaths annually, and the problem is getting worse.

C-diff has become an acute health concern in Canada, where it was blamed for 260 deaths at seven Ontario hospitals recently, and 2,000 deaths in Quebec since 2002.

The Association for Professionals in Infection Control and Epidemiology is currently working with U.S. hospitals to study prevalence of the infection and what infection control measures seem to work best.

"This is not a time for alarm, but more a time for educating health professionals to understand this particular pathogen," said Kathy Warye, chief executive of the Washington, D.C.-based association

Darth...hey, its good to see you around again!!!...thanks for the article...if the high gas prices dont get you this superbug will..

4th Horseman

Guest Sheree Dawn

Interesting that cases of this are on the rise as there is talk of hypothetical pandemics and how to determine who would get the vaccines if there was a shortage of the vaccine--hypothetically speaking

• 2 weeks later...
Darth...hey, its good to see you around again!!!...thanks for the article...if the high gas prices dont get you this superbug will..

4th Horseman

Thanks! I hope to be around a little more often if I've not been gotten by gas prices and superbugs. :puke:

• Elders (Moderators)

Good to see you again, Darth.

I recall the last time C.diff made the news here in the UK, it resulted in some letters in the Independent newspaper about the correct pronunciation of "difficile", rather than pointing out that yet again we're facing a disease threat because of a lack of basic hygiene. Goodness only knows what Florence Nightingale would have to say about C.diff and MRSA and so forth.

Hi Libby,

I know that you, like me, work within the NHS and are all too aware of how pervasive C. Diff and MRSA have become in British hospitals and how new studies have shown a worrying increase in Salmonella due to insufficient hygiene methods employed in the preparation of patient's meals. I believe that we have some of the worst rates of Hospital Acquired Infection in Europe.

Even though publicity has been thorough and the emphasis on hygiene within the NHS has never been higher I still see practices daily that beggar belief. I recently chatted to one GP who admitted that Doctors only send the most serious cases into hospital these days as the increased risk hospitilisation poses to patients is now a factor in their assessment procedure.

Whilst I do believe the media sensationalises MRSA and presents the infection as akin to the 'black death' I do share their constant dismay that the rate of infection is not falling more sharply.

Sadly with each success a new challenge emerges and the widespread and overly zealous prescribing of antibiotics has created a legion of potential new infections that I believe will continually present themselves.

I certainly hope that the Time is Not Now....

Best wishes,

Eth

Hi Walkabout :)

Given the similarities between simian physiology and human physiology the Marbug and Ebola Vaccine is currently being considered for a human trial. British scientists are also about to crack the MRSA enigma and proffer a vaccine for this also. There are countless scientific teams the world over beavering away in an effort to eradicate some of our most serious diseases but sadly politics and government often hinder rather than help, but, there is certainly hope.

A disease free existence will never happen but something as near as damn it may.

Best wishes,

Eth