The subtle changing of "The Group's" nature during Season Two

Rate this topic

Guest charlie98210

Guest charlie98210
This is all sort of along my line of thinking.... Charlie....

I rather saw the way M&W were going to be the same way they worked "Twin Peaks", which was, in essence, the same sort of tale..... Great hero/rescuer comes along to battle evil, at the risk of being overtaken by it. I thought they were doing the same thing with the group...that a group with the noblest of intentions was still not immune to the force of Evil in the world.

Not for everyone, I know, but then, neither are many of the great Myths from history, even though they are all there to teach us.

Yes! That's what I was trying to say.

Thank you.

Guest charlie98210

There is one other thing I would like to add.

I found it very interesting that Frank Black never buys into the Christian/Secret Knowledge/Divine Purpose/Millennial underpinnings of the Millennium Group (the Rooster faction; the faction in charge).

In "The Hand of Saint Sebastian" when Watts says, "There are certain things I can't tell you. There are secrets to Millennium that have to be earned. There are truths that you wouldn't understand even if I attempted to explain;" Frank's reply is tinged with sarcasm, "Don't tell me, you took a blood oath."

In "The Fourth Horseman" when Watts starts quoting Revelations, Frank looks irritated and says, "Peter, Revelations is not a prophecy." When Watts continues as if he hadn't heard Frank, Frank gets angry and shouts, "There is no millennium!!!"

I think the fact that Frank never buys into the Group's core beliefs is the reason that through the second half of the third season there are repeated comments that the leadership of the Group thinks that Frank has special secret knowledge.

An example of this is in "Bardo Thodal" when the dying Mr. Takahashi says to Frank, "I thought you came here to help me. That somehow you knew. That's what they said about you. That's what I always heard about you."

Edited by charlie98210