The Original Fox Millennium website

Rate this topic

Guest bemp

• Elders (Moderators)

Apologies. I had completely forgotten about this. I've now uploaded this:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/iamddw

It's called "MillenniumWebSite.rar".

Half-way through the upload, I did think it would have been better to have archived this as a .zip rather than a .rar file. If anyone doesn't have the software to unarchive a .rar file, a trial version of WinRar is available at: https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm.

:notworthy: Absolutely wonderful, thank you so much Libby,

I literally feel like a kid in a Millennium Candy Shop, all those memories of being a fledging internet user and enjoying the spoils when MM was on the screens. If you haven't grabbed this, do so, its super.

Best wishes,

Eth

PS On the off chance, remote I know, did anyone download the original Lone Gunmen site, not the one that was designed to match the DVD artwork style but the one that pre-dated it. It was a cartoon drawing of Langly, Byers, Frohike and Jimmy's desks and I loved that little site (and love that little series) I would be eternally grateful if someone has it.

Yes, thank you Libby. Here's my thing. The problem is I just wish I understood what you all are talking about. I feel like a newborn in an computer and electronic shop. I love the term "Fledgling." Okay, are you saying that to view the old site I need to download one of the above programs? And what's an rar file and what kind of software do you need? I confused but I'm not. Poor me. :helpme:

Hi Darlene,

I do hope Libby doesn't mind me offering you some advice, I merely happened upon your post and thought I could help. A rar file is simply a container that houses all the bits and bobs that Libby archived from the website, think of it as a suitcase full of goodies. To view the contents you need to extract them. There a number of different containers that people use to pack lots of items into in order to share them and 7zip is a free programme that is simple to install and use and allows you to extract the contacts from not only rar files but from a number of other containers too. Once you have installed 7zip, download Libby's file and right click on it, there will be an option to extract the contents of the rar file. As the file contains a lot of goodies you might want to make sure that you extract the contents to a file (don't worry it's self explanatory once you have the programme installed) rather than selecting the option to extract to 'here'.

If you run into difficulties holler on the shoutbox, there's bound to be someone around to give you some help.

Regards,

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks, Eth. I'm not always very good at explaining these things - generally I kind of wave my hands about in the air, which sometimes helps but obviously not when using just words.I must look at 7zip, as I'm still using the trial version of WinRar after about ten years!

Darlene, as Eth says, using an archiving system like rar or zip is like putting the contents of that bit of my computer into a single package, like a suitcase, with the advantage that when that suitcase is unpacked everything is then on your computer in the same way as it's on mine. And that's important because there is a structure which needs to stay the same for the best effect.

Eth's suggestion of using the shoutbox is a very good one, because someone could talk you through each stage as you get to it, or you can come back here and Eth and I will try to help. If you're not very familiar with this kind of software it can be a bit scary/puzzling. Even though I've been using computers for decades I can still get caught out by unfamiliar software. I remember when I first used software to extract the audio from DVDs, which is what I do for commentaries as then I can use other software for audio-typing using a foot-pedal. When I first used that audio-extraction software I spent ages, having followed all the on-screen instructions, waiting for it to start - only to realise that I had to click on a little "play" icon. I felt very silly, but it really wasn't very obvious when all the previous instructions had been in words. We can all get befuddled until we figure it out.

Give it a try, come back for as much advice as you need. If you start off with creating a specific folder/directory (two words which mean the same thing) for this on your computer, you're already halfway there.

There's a bit more useful info I can give you or anyone else when you've got to that stage, but I don't want to overload you too much for the present. In the meantime, here are some screenshots which might help:

post-118-1238181246_thumb.png

This is what you'll see when you click on the link in my post which will send you to the Sendspace website. Select the "save file" option and click on "OK". You will be given the option of where to save it - this should be the folder/directory you've just created. It may take a while for this to be downloaded.

post-118-1238181134_thumb.png

This is what you'll see when you go to the 7zip website. Click on "download" next to the "exe". You will then get:

post-118-1238181272_thumb.png

Save the file where you want that to be. I haven't tried it myself, but generally it doesn't matter where you save it, as along as you can remember where you've put it (for ease I have a folder/directory here called "install files" just for putting things like this). Generally when you run the program it will ask to set up a folder/directory in "program files" which is what most people go for.

post-118-1238181297_thumb.png

When you've done all that, right-click on the "MillenniumWebSite.rar" that you've already downloaded and you'll get these options. As I can't be sure, as I don't use this (Eth will come in here and comment as necessary), I'd use the "Extract here" option as that will keep everything in the same place.

At the end of that, you'll end with having unpacked that suitcase.

[PS: I realise that as I've done a quick-and-dirty screenshot process without much cropping, I'll have revealed what else I'm currently focussed on. Oh, how embarrassing!]

You guys, and gals, are fantastic. I sit in awe when I read your posts.

Okay, I went to 7-zip, and was directed to SourceForge.net to download it. After clicking on "Run" an "NSIS Error" window came up saying, "The installer you are trying to use is corrupted or incomplete. This could be the result of a damaged disk, a failed download, or a virus. You may want to contact the author of this installer to obtain a new copy. It may be possible to skip this check using the /NCRC command line switch (NOT RECOMMENDED)." "OK"

I also want to WinRAR, and have no idea which trial to download, but I can only assume the first one, "WinRAR 3.80" is the correct one. There's also "WinRAR on CNet site," and "WinRAR interface themes." Or, do I go down to "Localized WinRAR versions" and click on English? Also, am I correct in assuming that I want the "Graphic and comman line" interface? If that's the case, then there are only 2 to pick from, the 3.80 and the CNet.

I know just enough about computers to make me dangerous. I am pretty good at following directions and prompts, but if I don't understand the terminology, I'm lost, and that's the case here. I had a malicious Trojan awhile back called "about:blank," and it took a week to get rid of it. McAfee is my firewall and I hope it holds because I still see on occasion, "waiting for about:blank," but so far I haven't had any problems.

Hope I'm not working you guys too hard here. Thank you so much for all of your help.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

If you go to the Winrar site from the link above (that you went to before), it is the first one on that page that you likely need called WinRAR 3.80 (Graphic and command line Trial 1205 KB). That will be fine. After you install it, it will work for 30 days. After that, it will still work fine, but displays a message when you open a rar or zip file asking you to buy it which you can ignore if you wish.

Once installed, follow Libby's screenshot and extract the files by right clicking on the file you downloaded "Millenniumwebsite" and clicking on Extract to Millenniumwebsite. It will extract all the files withing the website into a folder called Millenniumwebsite. Give it a go!

• Elders (Moderators)

Graham, our paths must have crossed - while you were looking at WinRar, I was looking at 7zip!

Darlene, I downloaded the up-to-date version of 7zip and I also got a warning message. I found an earlier version of 7zip that I downloaded ages ago and that didn't give me a warning message, so there must be something about the recent version that's causing this problem. It's a pity when this sort of thing happens as it puts people off, which is a shame as the previous version is a good piece of software.

Follow Graham's advice and hopefully that will work. These archiving/unarchiving software packages are useful to have around, so it would be good if you can get this sorted out.

Guest Moriarty

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the upload Libby. I never had a chance to look at the original MM website in the past. It is nice to see all these interviews and pictures.

Take care.

Yves.