X-Files' comic book

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I've never really been a comic book fan, but Spotnitz just convinced me to give the new X-Files comic books a try. His enthusiasm is contagious!

Check this interview!

P.S. I'm thrilled by his last comment. It would be awesome to see Vince Gilligan, maybe Darin Morgan, on board too.

Hehe, it's kinda my dream now - to read comic book story written by Darin or Vince. :)))

I'm looking forward to this comic book series. Although I wish it would be set between The Truth and IWTB.

Edited by Blackoil

Hmmmm, I can't imagine a lot of the tv series writers would be too interested in writing comics, but who knows....

As a side comment: the Topps' X-Files series of the 1990's was pretty decent, written by sci-fi novelist/comic writer Stefan Petrucha, solid art by Charles Adlard (covers by Mirian Kim)....though Petrucha/Adlard/Kim did another comic book mini-series "The Bandy Man" which I thought was superb, dealing in part with biblical mythology with inspiration from Gnostic/Kabbalahistic fractioning of Judeo-Christianity circa 2000 years ago. Really worth checking out! See this link for more details: https://www.petrucha.com/bandyman.html

Edited by wolvesevolve

though Petrucha/Adlard/Kim did another comic book mini-series "The Bandy Man" which I thought was superb, dealing in part with biblical mythology with inspiration from Gnostic/Kabbalahistic fractioning of Judeo-Christianity circa 2000 years ago. Really worth checking out! See this link for more details: https://www.petrucha.com/bandyman.html

Gnostic Judeo Christianity with a hint of Kabbalistic theory? Count me in ;) I have never heard of this and thank you, in earnest, for pointing it out to me. I am a huge comics fan and this slipped my attention somehow. May I also give much fanboy praise for Rachell Pollack's era on 'The Doom Patrol' and whilst she was widely derided in light of her following in Grant Morrison's footsteps I am, almost, insanely passionate about the most creative, the most occult, the most 'out there' run in comicdom I have ever read. Give the Doctor Who spinoff (almost) Faction Paradox a view also, only two issues, a few audio adventures and numerous books and that really frigs with the mind.

I own all the original XF comics and the Lone Gunmen to boot and they are fine, if not profound reads, the thought of Darin on an XF comic has me absolutely creaming. And to be honest Wolves it is not out of order for TV sorts to dip into comic fiction, Joss Whedon is currently scripting The X-Men and there are numerous others feathering their nests via comics.

Best wishes,

Eth

If they manage to get the series' writers on board it could get really interesting!

Thanks for the info wolvesevole! I have all the XF Topps comics, got them recently from ebay, but I haven't read them all yet. I didn't know there were Lone Gunmen comics as well! And I thought my collection was complete... I'm not much into comics in general, but XF's 12-issue "Project Aquarius" was something I loved.

Does anyone have any decent-sized material of the artwork of Miran Kim? The covers she (he?) did are really something, and I believe it's her that painted many episodic-themed pictures that ended up in trading cards, posters or VHS tape covers... Her work was really interesting and I think it didn't get the recognition it deserved.

Hi Gang,

Just came across the Deviant Art profile for Brian Denham who is the chap who will be pencilling the X-Files comic. There's a link on the page to his myspace also which contains some examples of his work and its superb if a little orthodox for my tastes. Deviant Art.

And Oro I am sure you have seen this but here is the link to Miran Kim's Cover gallery for her X-Files work. Whilst the examples are not large as you requested they certainly showcase her amazing work for readers here who are not familiar with it. If anyone does know where these can be found in better quality I too would love to know.

Best wishes

Eth

I didn't know there were Lone Gunmen comics as well!

Orodromeus, you can download The Lone Gunmen comic book here https://rapidshare.com/files/54763053/The_Lone_Gunmen.cbr It was written by Jane Espenson who was one the main "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" wtiters. Story is pretty interesting (I can actually imagine an episode like this comic book) and the drawings are really cool.

To open *.cbr file you may need CDisplay programm https://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay.html ;)

I loved some Topps comic books but for my taste Stephan Petrucha's writing was a bit pretentious. I mean, he certainly had some really great ideas but in my opinion he kind of tried to "change" XF style too hard. And I guess that is why he was fired after all. :) Another Topps writer, John Rozum, wrote some pretty decent stories, he was OK for me. Although some of his stories are just superb and could be imagined as an actual episode of XF. I like "Surrounded" two-parter especially.

As for artists, I liked Charlie Adlard's visual style, it was VERY close to the feel of the show but he had some serious problems drawing Scully's face. I guess that is why he was fired after all. LOL I think Alex Saviuk did the best job drawing Mulder and Scully and he did pretty good with dark atmosphere of XF.

As for this new artist, Brian Denham, I really love his style! I saw his drawings for some Iron Man comics and they are just superb. He draws in a very realistic way, I like it. :)

Edited by Blackoil

@Eth: yes I had seen the online art gallery. Since I'm not ready to pay $3,000 for a painting, I was hoping that she might have tried to promote these somewhere else...

@Blackoil: thanks a lot! You sure seem to have studied these XF comics well. You must now about the more recent compilations Volumes 1,2,3, these seem to be random choices for reprinting the stories. So far they haven't released everything. What's with that? I own the originals but these look like good editions.

Gnostic Judeo Christianity with a hint of Kabbalistic theory? Count me in ;) I have never heard of this and thank you, in earnest, for pointing it out to me. I am a huge comics fan and this slipped my attention somehow. May I also give much fanboy praise for Rachell Pollack's era on 'The Doom Patrol' and whilst she was widely derided in light of her following in Grant Morrison's footsteps I am, almost, insanely passionate about the most creative, the most occult, the most 'out there' run in comicdom I have ever read. Give the Doctor Who spinoff (almost) Faction Paradox a view also, only two issues, a few audio adventures and numerous books and that really frigs with the mind.

I own all the original XF comics and the Lone Gunmen to boot and they are fine, if not profound reads, the thought of Darin on an XF comic has me absolutely creaming. And to be honest Wolves it is not out of order for TV sorts to dip into comic fiction, Joss Whedon is currently scripting The X-Men and there are numerous others feathering their nests via comics.

Best wishes,

Eth

Very true that in the past 5 years or so there's been many more writers outside the comic book field coming in (TV sci-fi writers, novelists), though many of them are comic book fans themselves...unfortunately there are is still that bias that "comic books are for kids" so the appeal generally to writers from other fields remains limited (even though we all know how tv/movies/comics/novels really are different ways of telling a story and are more closely related than the disassociation of the media forms). Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see Darin Morgan and many of those wittier X-Files writers come in and pen a comic or two! I can only hope I'm wrong, but I think the chances of getting script writers to do some comics are a little slim.

And some of the off-topic stuff:

I'm shocked that The Bandy Man is still available! My only gripe about comic is that I think it was only 3 issues...so Petrucha's concept never really went anywhere unfortunately. But I remember really loving this underlooked gem of comicdom.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the work of Rachell Pollack...I love Morrison's work (though it took me a while to warm up to his style but I really enjoyed his run on X-Men and his Invisibles series that I still need to read some of those later TPB) though never got around to his Doom Patrol work...we probably share a similar passion for the "from left field" approach some comic book writers take, so I'll need to check out Pollack's stuff as well! I only recently started reading the TPB of Alan Moore's Promethea, which is really a trip!

And I've never heard of Faction Paradox...what's it all about and how did it spin off Doctor Who?