X-Files' comic book

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest WaveCrest

I thought the first two X Files stories were the best ones out of the 7 issues which were published last year (especially the one written by Frank Spotnitz). Are there plans for a new series of the comic books? I asked this somewhere on the web last year and was told that they will be returning.

I did have issue 0 but can't find it anywhere.

Hi Richard,

They did announce a second run of the comic back in July of last year. The writing duties this time are being divided by Frank Spotnitz and Gabe Rotter. It was scheduled to be released round about now but nothing has since been mentioned since XFilesNews.com reported the news. If it is to come out early in 2010 then we should start hearing things any day now I would assume.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Many thanks for the update Mark. :thumbsup:

The first two part story reminded me of the third season episode "Wetwired". Did anyone else think this when reading the comic book story?

• 4 months later...
Guest WaveCrest

I've had a look through my TV and film books Mark, and I can't find any X Files comics or Official X Files magazine issues. I've only got the Lone Gunmen "Patriots" comic and one of the X Files graphic novel volumes which collect some of the Topps issues.

Nor can I my friend and I know I had some back in the day. Not many but some. I also had a fairly large collection of Radio Times that had a number of X-Files covers and articles. There was a superb giant pull-out that came with one of the editions that listed all the episodes that had been broadcast up until that point with a brief synopsis and screen-caps. It was huge.

I also have a VHS somewhere of the little slots BBC2 used to show before the episodes aired. I think they were called "X-Philes" and introduced a different fan each episode who talked about their love of their show.

Those were the days.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Yes, those were the days. I used to enjoy watching Sky 1's promos for the third season with the large green 'X' that appeared somewhere in the trailer. The promo I remember best was the one for "2Shy".

I don't remember seeing those X-Philes slots before the episodes on BBC2. But then I didn't watch the episodes when they first aired on BBC2. I remember watching UK premieres of the fourth season onwards on Sky 1, and some of them when they aired on BBC2 (and later on when the show moved to BBC1 with I think the fifth season).

I came up with an idea earlier this week when thinking about the X Files comic books...compiling a list of all of the stories done in the comic books (covering the Topps comics and any special issues).

Richard, check out the following link my friend. It's a checklist of all the Toops comic releases that also gives a brief synopsis of the storyline. I managed to find one I still own actually. It's #38 Mar 1998 "Cam Ranh Bay" and it was surprisingly a very tight and enjoyable tale. I did spot a nice caveat in that the dolphin in the opening 'teaser' was named Lilly which I assume was chosen due to John Cunningham Lilly who was a pioneer in the development of Dolphin Communication.

And the cover is simply gorgeous, worth the cost of the comic alone.

Eth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WaveCrest

Well you've saved me a job Mark! Thanks. :thumbsup:

EDIT: For some odd reason this post isn't showing up in the most recent newly posted in threads on my Find My Content page. *confused*

Hi folks,

I have just finished the first seven editions of the original X-Files release from Topps and it has been a blast so far. There's a couple of little things here and there that aren't perfect but on the whole it does immerse you in the XF televisual world as much as a comic book is able and for that it should be commended.

I realise there is an arc to this story with "Aquarius" making an appearance of sorts in almost all the issues so far. Sp I'm excited to see how that is resolved.

I have to say, I have just finished "Trepanning Opera" and thought it was absolutely superb. Easily something that could have been used on "Millennium". The idea of a man who is either a) insane or b) experiencing time as a non-linear even due to the exposure of his pineal gland is a mindfrack on its own but add to the mix a little "Driller Killer" and a cracking resolution that suggests Dana Scully died in a reality only the truly enlightened can see and I loved it.

I was glancing around the internet to see any other reactions to this 'episode' and couldn't find any but I did find an interview with comics' writer who cites the story as one of his three personal favourites.

I hope the quality continues to rise like this has so for as this is quite a ride.

Eth

Guest WaveCrest

Have had a good look through the Topps comics and other X Files comic strips list on the linked page, and had a look on eBay for them. Can't find the comic book adaptations for the episodes "Space" and "Beyond the Sea" yet.