Question for se7enand1

Rate this topic

Hi. I have just been gathering this assumption from MOV and this board, but do you have a "region free" dvd player? I was interested in purchasing one, and I was wondering how you went about doing it. I spoke with a person at Best Buy today, and they told me that the only way I could purchase one is directly through the manufacturer. This seems like a hassle. Is there an easier way? Does anyone else know?

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

Sorry to butt in before Se7en but I thought you may find this site useful...

I bought a cheap DVD player a Pacific DVD-750 and used this site to enter the special code into the remote control to make my DVD Player Region Free. I have to say it works fine.

Perhaps you may find a model they list available for sale in your area and use this site to make it Region Free, if you can't find a specific Region Free model.

BTW, avoid Sony DVD Players, you can't make 'em region free.

You may also know about the "RPC-E" protection. This prevents factory produced Region Free DVD Players from playing certain imported DVD with RPC protection (enhanced region protection code). I've found no problems using my method of converting a normal DVD player to region free using a hack such as the one from this site.

Hope this is usefull to you.

DVD Region Free Hacks

Regards,

Graham.

Over to the big Se7en....

Thanks for the info! I was completely unaware that you could hack into your player and make it region free. Unfortunately, I own a player that isn't listed on the site. I bookmarked the site, but I'll have to do some more investigating before I actually buy one. All of this is very confusing... ???

• Elders (Admins)

Hi,

Basically most DVD Players have built in menu's for factory or service engineers to configure such things as Macrovison (stops you recording DVD's to tape) and the Region Code.

By entering a certain sequence of keypresses into your remote control, you get access to your DVD players hidden menu.

There you can access features not normally available.

I think it's so they can mass produce the goods, then configure them afterwards depending on the country they'll get sold in.

If you live in the UK, I recommend the Pacific DVD-750 (price £80) from Asda stores. It has Dolby Digital and DTS sound out, built in 5.1 decoder and excellent RGB output via Scart cable. And region free of course with ye olde hack. Also it doesn't look like a breeze-block brick like most cheapies do!

After the region code setting being changed to none, it has no probs with DVD's like Black hawk Down which feature Region Code Enhancement to stop you watching different region DVD's.

Best £80 I ever spent...

Regards,

:ouro: Graham.

Guest Wellington

Hi

I would like to warn you about multizone DVD players. Being region-free does not mean that you suddenly can convert PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL. If your TV set is not multistandard, then you still cannot watch it. If you live in North America, there are little chance that you can do it right out of the box. TV sets are mainly NTSC ones only. You can save the day with a Malata region free player which converts PAL to NTSC. Otherwise, buying a converter would cost you an arm and probably a leg too...

Of course, if you live in Europe, I am afraid you have just wasted 2 minutes reading this...  :;):

Regards

• Elders (Admins)

Thanks Wellington, good point.

The issue of Pal/NTSC does still come into the equation.

I live in the UK and most products sold in the last few years are capable of displaying PAL (UK) or NTSC (US).

My DVD Player, VCR and TV are all compatible in this respect. If you are considering Multi Region functionality, you should consider whether your TV can support different input modes.

However, something in the back of my mind suggests that using a Scart Lead to connect your equipment can solve this...

Se7en, sorry to have taken over this Topic! Where are you?  :tongue:

Thanks for the info everbody. I should have mentioned this earlier, but I live in the U.S. If I buy a region free player (i certainly hope I eventually will get to) I'll take all of these aspects into consideration. I'm mainly interested in buying DVDs from Asia. Considering the differences between US and UK tvs, I'm sure that the DVDs from Asia won't be able to play on my current tvs. This is becoming more expensive by the moment. :(  ONce again, thank you both.

......computer dvd players might be a cheaper solution for you if you have a decent monitor and a comfy chair/sound system. EVERY computer dvd player allows you to change the region code AT LEAST 5-times,and usually 10-times,till the player is "locked". that's what i'm doing now as i am getting SMDM-dvds from the u.k.,courtesy of gra :D ,even on the most inexpesive monitor you will get a progressive-scan picture quality-(which is a very very good thing!,vibrant colrs,hi-ses in every respect)-and if you do not have good computer speakers or a audio card which you can hook up to your surround system then the ultimate compromise is....................HEADPHONES! for under $60 you can get headphones that will allow complete immersion and allow for crystall clear audio. you'll sometimes hear things,like with MM,that you never heard before,like the camera dolly moving and such.-(more common with TV than films)- very cool stuff. i swaer by headphones,BUT MAKE SURE YOU GET A SET THAT AROUND YOUR EARS AND NOT ON THEM.    ~anyway,my opinion,if you want to stay as cheap as possible get a dvd-rom drive,if you do not already have one,then insert an asian dvd and a menu will pop up allowing you to change region codes. if it does not pop up don't fear as you can do it manually through windvd-(i'd be happy to guide you through if neccesary :;): )    this works great for me as i have my computer rig on a computer cart with wheels so i just roll it up to my recliner,turn off the TV,pop on the headphones and...........instant dvd-goodness :smokin: -(it's not that i'm lazy but when you have some problems being mobile as i do it helps to have as much of the neccessities around me as possible..........hell,who am i kidding;even if i did not have mobility problems i would still likely have this setup :p )         ~you can get a very good dvd-rom drive/player for around $60 if you buy online. but make sure "windvd" comes with the player as that it is the most commen,and the best for watching dvd's on your computer rig.                ~hope this helps at least a little.

~DAVE :ouro:  :santa: