Why should I watch season three again?

Rate this topic

I finally gave in after all these years and ordered Season 3 on Amazon last night.

For me it will be a whole season of new episodes! I only ever watched the first 2 episodes back in 1999. Good or bad, at least to me they'll be new. I can't believe I waited so long.

Guest ZeusFaber
As fruitless and/or pointless of an exercise it may be, aren't we all here to share our opinion on a given topic? My impression was that the starter of this topic was looking for a number of outside opinions in the first place. It's a fun thing to come here and discuss with others what they might think about a certain topic relating to the show. What's not fun is someone coming along and if they don't enjoy another's opinion saying "Well, that's just your opinion, and here's why it should be discarded by everyone; and oh, by the way, even though its pointless to discuss our opinions, here's mine anyway.

I did not say any opinion should be discarded, least of all yours. On the contrary, I said the exact opposite. In my second sentence, no less.

I did not say it was pointless to discuss opinions. I said it was pointless to try and guess what someone else's opinion might be based on our own, or to attempt to influence it.

When you've been here a little longer, you'll find that the "Season X vs. Season Y" debate is an old one, a subjective one, and also a tiring, arbitrary and repetitive one. I would encourage anyone to watch and re-watch Millennium on DVD, to take joy in discussing it and avoid reducing it to value judgements, comparisons and competitions.

I'm not happy with the way this discussion is going. I have closed this topic, pending discussion with my fellow moderators.

Yeah! Freedom of speech lives! Sometimes we have to work things out by talking back and forth. I really believe that most posting on this board have good intentions.

Dear Hippyroo,

Please accept my reassurances that the Moderating team values freedom of speech and expression as highly as you do. On the rare occasion that we feel compelled to intervene on a discussion this is in the interests of maintaining the cordial environment we seek to promote here. In addition, if you feel compelled to raise issue with the decisions a moderator makes would you, in future, address this with them via PM and not publicly on the forums. To this end will you continue any further discussion on this matter with myself in private.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

I didn't see see any problems with this discussion and I was quite surprised to see it was closed down... except from the fact that Libby was beating me to death with a fish (what the...?):

Laurent: :fishslaphim!:

Anyway, I'm happy that everything is back to normal.

• Elders (Moderators)
I didn't see see any problems with this discussion and I was quite surprised to see it was closed down... except from the fact that Libby was beating me to death with a fish (what the...?):

Just a light-hearted response to your light-hearted response in the topic, hence the wink. I've got a vague feeling that hitting someone with a dead fish is somehow connected to Star Trek - or maybe it's just the Star Trek parody my son and his friends wrote many years ago (in which all the baddies were clearly, as in badly-disguised, pastiches of some of their teachers.) That particular icon has always seemed funny to me because of that.

Anyway, I'm happy that everything is back to normal.

Normality is good.

Guest Laurent.
Just a light-hearted response to your light-hearted response in the topic, hence the wink.

Don't worry! I know it was light-hearted! I was also wondering where the fish thing was from.... I find beating someone with a fish a bit freaky to be honest.

Well, getting back on topic a bit-

I've been watching season 3 for the first time this week. I've been watching about 4-5 episodes a night and I have to say I am totally unimpressed.

I got a bad feeling about season 3 after watching the first episode in 1999 and now I'm on disc 5 and so far all but 1 episode was completely forgettable. The only one that stands out so far was "Collateral Damage" and that one was only borderline.

Even more so than season 2, season 3 seems to be all over the map with storylines that don't make sense, are hard to follow or are just plain bad. Most of the episodes have little or nothing to do with an overall story. Most seem like "throw away" episodes or "serial killer / monster of the week".

I hate feeling this way, I mean this is my favorite show of all time. I still have 2 discs to go and I have it on a pretty good authority that "Seven and One" is pretty good.

Maybe my expectations were too high. Either way though, it is great to see Frank (and very rarely this season, Peter) again.

I have my fingers crossed.