Why should I watch season three again?

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber
A lot of people will say that Season 3 got off to a really rough start, with the unsettling number of changes that took place from the Season 2 formula overnight coupled with some simply bad episodes. I would argue that Season 2 almost fell into the same trap

I think many people would agree that the change of tone that occurred at the start of Season 3 was no more dramatic or sizeable than the change of tone that occurred at the start of Season 2. In fact, I would argue that the shift was more jarring and noticeable with S2 than it is with S3. "The Beginning and the End" is a strikingly different piece to "Paper Dove" on several levels, most notably in its representation of the Group as nefarious and clandestine. While "The Innocents" is also different in approach to "The Time is Now," I feel the two fit together a little more than the aforementioned pair.

Season 1 is SO dark and SO violent, not to mention repetitive, that one either has to be in a VERY specific mood to enjoy it

An interesting point of view. I myself would have to disagree with the suggestion that the first season is repetitive. I think it did very well to explore a variety of specific subject matter whilst maintaining a consistent approach and cohesive theme. From the taught serial-killer drama of the pilot to the supernatural-tinged cult of "Gehenna," from the domestic terrorism thriller of "5-2-2-6-6-6" to the affecting domestic abuse story of "The Well Worn Lock," and the scientific intellectualism of "Force Majuere" to the modern-day depictions of angels and demons of "Power, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions."

All in all the show should have been more specific about WHAT HAPPENED to the Millennium Group-- how did it escalate beyond the cultlike mysticism of Season 2 to the true evil of Season 3, represented by Mabius and the mass grave of "Skull and Bones?"

I think there's a lot of this is "Owls"/"Roosters" and "The Fourth Horseman"/"The Time is Now" and indeed all the way back to "The Beginning and the End". Political assassinations, in-fighting, phone-tapping, manipulations of viruses and vaccines, and so forth. There's an awful lot of blood on the Group's hands in S2. I think "Skull and Bones" merely increases the body count, it doesn't escalate their tactics.

Guest Jim McLean
I think many people would agree that the change of tone that occurred at the start of Season 3 was no more dramatic or sizeable than the change of tone that occurred at the start of Season 2. In fact, I would argue that the shift was more jarring and noticeable with S2 than it is with S3. "The Beginning and the End" is a strikingly different piece to "Paper Dove" on several levels, most notably in its representation of the Group as nefarious and clandestine. While "The Innocents" is also different in approach to "The Time is Now," I feel the two fit together a little more than the aforementioned pair.

I do have to agree with this. Having rewatched Paper Dove and BOTE fairly recently, there is a big shift between the two. Not just in how the Millennium Group acts, but how the characters act. Not just Peter Watts, but the approach to dialogue shifts and maybe even some of the motivation. Even though I can understand Catherine's need to distance herself and her daughter from Frank's intrusive world, the bedroom scene seems overtly colourful in her outpouring and not quite as "real" as season one. I think that's the nub - season two (which I love) doesn't often feel quite as down to earth in the characters. I also found season two's underscored issue of Frank putting the Group before his family never quite rung true with events in season one or in BOTE. So yes, I think there is more jarring with season one and season two than two and and three. IMO.

An interesting point of view. I myself would have to disagree with the suggestion that the first season is repetitive. I think it did very well to explore a variety of specific subject matter whilst maintaining a consistent approach and cohesive theme. From the taught serial-killer drama of the pilot to the supernatural-tinged cult of "Gehenna," from the domestic terrorism thriller of "5-2-2-6-6-6" to the affecting domestic abuse story of "The Well Worn Lock," and the scientific intellectualism of "Force Majuere" to the modern-day depictions of angels and demons of "Power, Principalities, Thrones and Dominions."

Again, I have to agree. I didn't get to see all of season one till 2007 and after seeing a couple when they first aired, from what the publications were suggesting, they were all sexual serial killer episodes. I don't think this is true at all.

In fact, one could argue that season two carries the X-Files formula of "supernatural instance that is never quite proved to the characters, but the audience know the truth". I don't think it really harms either season, but I do feel the "serial-killer-of-the-week" motif that so many suggested at the time for season one was a gross understatement. Yeah, there were serial killers a great deal, but there were aliens in Star Trek. It's the nature of the show. Point is the portrait of the antagonist isn't the same in each case.

I think there's a lot of this is "Owls"/"Roosters" and "The Fourth Horseman"/"The Time is Now" and indeed all the way back to "The Beginning and the End". Political assassinations, in-fighting, phone-tapping, manipulations of viruses and vaccines, and so forth. There's an awful lot of blood on the Group's hands in S2. I think "Skull and Bones" merely increases the body count, it doesn't escalate their tactics.

I personally think Owls and Roosters showed how unstable the Group's mandate was, and season three took as back to WW2 where we saw how the Group was adapted for common times. It's clear in action the Group isn't consistent. I got the impression after The Time Is Now, we see the Group take another shift - and Owls and Roosters does show there are forces at work from within the Group which could easily move the group from a theological platform to a secular one - and with that a change in how they operate. While I'm not suggesting that this was definitively indeed, retrospectively I think season two sets up enough to justify the changes in season three.

Man Laredo, your ability to recall the intricacies and subtleties of each episode and lay it out in such a well written analyzation boggles my mind. I used to write things like that in film school but I'd have to watch those episodes for days on end to pick up half the things you're so easily able to convey. Bravo.

Guest RodimusBen
This is probably the first time I've read negative remarks about TCOFB. What didn't you like about it?

Close your ears, TCOFB fans!

I basically just thought it was boring. It was too slow, and the encounters with the smoking guy (in flashback and present) were overlong and meandering, basically telling us stuff about the good/evil theme of the show that we already knew. I liked the scene where Jordan sensed the evil at the house, and the scene where Frank started to clean up the yellow house, symbolizing his refusal to give up on his ideal of providing a good life for his family.

Yeah, there were serial killers a great deal, but there were aliens in Star Trek. It's the nature of the show. Point is the portrait of the antagonist isn't the same in each case.

I love Season 1, and there are only a few episodes I didn't enjoy. But I think it would be hard to deny that Seasons 2 and 3 and more variety between serial killer shows, MG/conspiracy shows, and flat-out supernatural shows; in fact I would say this is one area where Season 3 beats the other 2. Of course in Season 1, the MG conspiracy stuff hadn't even introduced yet because they were basically a fictional version of the Academy Group. But as much as I love Season 1, I can't watch more than, say, 4 episodes of it in a row whereas I've watched half of Season 3 in one sitting.

But that's just me, my MM tastes are weird.

I watched season 3 once all the way through and have yet to go back and watch a single episode. None of them were really great in my opinion. I'll get around to watching them again soon but I can't think of 1 that really stood out for me that I'd like to re-visit.

Guest Jim McLean
Close your ears, TCOFB fans!

I basically just thought it was boring. It was too slow, and the encounters with the smoking guy (in flashback and present) were overlong and meandering, basically telling us stuff about the good/evil theme of the show that we already knew. I liked the scene where Jordan sensed the evil at the house, and the scene where Frank started to clean up the yellow house, symbolizing his refusal to give up on his ideal of providing a good life for his family.

I think TOCOF works for me for its thematic and tonal content. It does take its time, and I think that gives it a very empty and lonely feel to it. I think it's very fitting for Halloween and the Gehenna devil a great peripheral nasty to just add to the ominous nature. Love the score to. But each to our own!

I love Season 1, and there are only a few episodes I didn't enjoy. But I think it would be hard to deny that Seasons 2 and 3 and more variety between serial killer shows, MG/conspiracy shows, and flat-out supernatural shows; in fact I would say this is one area where Season 3 beats the other 2. Of course in Season 1, the MG conspiracy stuff hadn't even introduced yet because they were basically a fictional version of the Academy Group. But as much as I love Season 1, I can't watch more than, say, 4 episodes of it in a row whereas I've watched half of Season 3 in one sitting.

An interesting question you raise: consumption over quality. Personally I think the show had the quality and certainty of direction in season one that was never matched afterwards. The show has the right tone, feels confident with its material and comfortably exploring its characters and thematic pieces. I don't think seasons two or three feel as certain in direction or in consistency as season one. That said, I must admit, while I think Millennium found its niche early and was its dramatically mature and strong in season one, the season hasn't the spats of fascinating ambiguity as in the later seasons. There is a lot of ambiguity in two and a whole bundle of thematic layers in three that season one's template doesn't really support (aside from the Bletcher arc maybe). I also lacks the tonal diversity we see in season two and three. The tonal diversity in two and three doesn't always work in the show's favour, feeling like a production searching for new ways to keep the formula fresh (and formula doesn't have to remain fresh if the show has found it's niche - just as Law and Order), but it can make for easier consumption. Variety is the spice of life.

So I think it depends on the angle. Consumption, I think two and three have a lot of interesting and ambiguious episodes. For what I think made Millennium great, I don't think you beat the terse myriad of sociological and theological strands that make season one!

Guest RodimusBen

Well, it also comes back to what I've said many times-- there are really THREE Millenniums. I mean, there are some things that are nigh-impossible to reconcile between seasons, never mind the radical, kneejerk redirection that each season took.

I like what you said about seasons 2 and 3 both taking a while to find their footing, whereas Season 1 was "confident" about its direction from the get-go. Watching the first chunk of season 2 was just confusing for this very reason. However, as someone who only got into the show recently, I was familiar with the general course it would take just by reading Internet banter (I knew Catherine died and that Season 2 involved Frank rejoining the FBI).

Guest Jim McLean
Well, it also comes back to what I've said many times-- there are really THREE Millenniums. I mean, there are some things that are nigh-impossible to reconcile between seasons, never mind the radical, kneejerk redirection that each season took.

I think you are quite right, Millennium took three different routes: left, right, middle. I always like to believe that life is fairly perceptional, and if it is, then for Millennium to shift in tone, has a certain symmetry with real life. Life never remains singular in tone. Each day is not serious, or happy, or sad. Some days never make much sense, some are full of crazy and some are full of sadness. I think what some people call a weakness, can actually be considered an unintentional strength to the franchise!

I like what you said about seasons 2 and 3 both taking a while to find their footing, whereas Season 1 was "confident" about its direction from the get-go. Watching the first chunk of season 2 was just confusing for this very reason. However, as someone who only got into the show recently, I was familiar with the general course it would take just by reading Internet banter (I knew Catherine died and that Season 2 involved Frank rejoining the FBI).

I would liked to have seen where season four would have gone - I suspect it might have consolidated an approach, more so than season three that would have found a confident middle ground like the latter half of season three which explored the sociological and the mythological without falling into Season Two (and early Season Three's) major problem and that's the X-Files formula.

Season three's later episodes seem to have found Millennium's identity. It's not all about monsters, or conspiracies or killers, but a tonally consistent mix that doesn't reply on the conspiracy formula (the truth is exposed but never outed) or the monster-of-the-week formula of the X-Files (the monster is exposed to the audience but the proof isn't quite out there for the characters). I think this came from risking a deeper delve into ambiguity, where the episodes aren't quite as definitive in message or resolution. I would liked to have seen season 4 expand on this.

Guest RodimusBen

Agreed entirely. It's a real shame that JUST when the show seemed to have found a balance between all its incarnations and influences (in the last third of season 3, with episodes like Antipas, Bardo Thodol, Seven and One, and Nostalgia), it got canceled. A true shame.

I found Season 3 to be excellent. Even the episodes a lot of people don't seem to care for worked for me. The last half of the season was especially good. If only they could have renewed it for 13 episodes to end on the Millennium it would have been cool.

We need to thank Frank Spotnitz and Chris Carter for giving us some sort of resolution in the X- Files. It was good they didn't forget the Millennium fanbase.