Campaign To Persuade Fox To Make A Millennium Film

Rate this topic

Guest Sue Myatt

Guest AD Skinner

Well, here's something to ask, unless it's been asked before, in that case I apologise for being repetitive, but if they do manage to bring Millennium back in some form, be it on the big screen, or the Futurama route of a series of extended DVD specials (I won't use the straight to video term, I think Millennium is above that), what way would you like the writers, who I would assume to be either Chris and Frank or Chip Johannessen, to deal with the time line. Would you rather the comeback take place immediately after the events of Goodbye to All That and The X Files episode Millennium, or to take the same track that The X Files:I Want to Believe did and have the writers move forward in real time and have the events take place in the present?

Would you rather the comeback take place immediately after the eventsof Goodbye to All That and The X Files episode Millennium, or to takethe same track that The X Files:I Want to Believe did and have thewriters move forward in real time and have the events take place in thepresent?

I would like to see it take place a few years after "Goodbye...," so Frank and Jordan have time alone. Then she's older and her gift more developed to really join in to solve the mystery and get the bad guys/gals. Definitely it has to have Lucy Butler somehow, someway, and Emma Hollis is still the FBI Director, of course also still with the group, but no doubt very rebellious.

And Mark, most important to you, we have to bring back Lara Means.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ghostmojo

I would like to see it take place a few years after "Goodbye...," so Frank and Jordan have time alone. Then she's older and her gift more developed to really join in to solve the mystery and get the bad guys/gals. Definitely it has to have Lucy Butler somehow, someway, and Emma Hollis is still the FBI Director, of course also still with the group, but no doubt very rebellious.

And Mark, most important to you, we have to bring back Lara Means.

Yes I agree about Lara too - but I would place any film after the events of the second X-Files movie and in order to avoid repeating myself would suggest you read my post here which deals with the same subject:

https://www.millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/tiwwa/index.php/topic/21882-what-makes-more-sense/page__pid__90849__st__20&#entry90849

Hi Ghostmojo (great name by the way)

I am an avid proponent of not bringing back Frank in an X-Files movie as I'm not particularly convinced it would satisfy the fans of either franchise. If there is it be an XF3 it has already been noted by Frank Spotnitz that the movie would no doubt turn its attention to the colonisation plot of the X-Files series which seemed to be the key factor many Philes felt was missing from the last movie. I just cannot see Frank working in a story line and, more importantly, I cannot for a second see Lance agreeing to do it. He objected, on a number of occasions, to scripts or plots that he felt misunderstood the character of Frank or sought to portray him and his world differently from the original vision (he fought long and hard over the inclusion of Kiss in "..Thirteen Years Later" for example.) He was vocal in his opposition of the X-Files/Millennium cross over and indicated, that had he had enough notice of the content (as the script was delayed a number of times before he saw it), that he might not have agreed to it in the first instance. If he was upset by "freakin' zombies" then I can't see him being enamoured of grey aliens.

Now call me a passionate fan but if Frank is brought back to assist Mulder and Scully in catching EBE's and preventing an alien invasion I can safely say I would have a lot to say about it lol

Who knows, maybe it could work :)

Eth

Now call me a passionate fan but if Frank is brought back to assist Mulder and Scully in catching EBE's and preventing an alien invasion I can safely say I would have a lot to say about it lol

Eth, I too would have a lot to say. Bringing Lance into an X-Files episode was great, because he was brought in as a lead character, and it helped to bring closure for MLM. But I just don't think a combined movie would work. I believe there would be a conflict of interest. Lance is the star of MLM, and should never be put in a co-staring role with David and Gillian. Nor do I believe David and Gillian would ever be co-stars in a MLM movie. Neither would work in satisfying fans to me.

Guest Ghostmojo

I understand your well-made points guys. I too would like to see both series return in a stand-alone capacity - but just wonder whether the interest is out there for a fully-fledged Millennium movie (other than on these boards and other niche interest forums). I say that with a heavy heart, even though I am aware of the background activity that is trying to bring such a thing about. I really hope I am wrong and would be first in line (over here) to see Frank Black on the big screen in Leicester Square (or wherever) should that ever happen.

However, my suggestion was both financially practical and drawing on the existing market strengths of TX-F as a franchise. The marketability of MM is less certain to a cinema audience (especially outside the USA). A good enough story that gave all the characters enough of a role, played on their strengths, and explored the possibilities of such a pairing of Black and Mulder (in particular) should be seen as a worthwhile departure, because it would be considerable development for both shows. Development in essential in my opinion. It would be too easy to just present another typical MM type story or TX-F type arc plot on the big screen. This approach not only resolves a studio pro of being able to kill two birds with one stone, but also has obvious commercial appeal to a far larger audience.

Whilst not being unduly pessimistic, I would expect any outing for either, or both, shows to something of a final curtain call - rather than a new beginning - and as such would like to see the whole thing go out with a big bang. I think the quasi-religious millenial overtones of MM could easily be combined with the alien invasion themes of TX-F. Look to the film Event Horizon to see how evil/horror and sc-fi have been combined quite successfully before. I take you points about the views of the actors themselves and obviously such aspects could be indeed be deal-breakers, but there is no harm in exploring other possibilities which might turn out to be more realisable than an utter allegiance to perhaps an unworkable position. Perhaps we might come to realise that The Millennium Group and The Syndicate were working together all these years, or part of the same thing - and perhaps both Mulder/Scully and Black/Hollis were chasing the same things from different (and occasionally the same) directions?