Campaign To Persuade Fox To Make A Millennium Film

Rate this topic

Guest Sue Myatt

Guest Jim McLean

I understand your well-made points guys. I too would like to see both series return in a stand-alone capacity - but just wonder whether the interest is out there for a fully-fledged Millennium movie (other than on these boards and other niche interest forums). I say that with a heavy heart, even though I am aware of the background activity that is trying to bring such a thing about. I really hope I am wrong and would be first in line (over here) to see Frank Black on the big screen in Leicester Square (or wherever) should that ever happen.

However, my suggestion was both financially practical and drawing on the existing market strengths of TX-F as a franchise. The marketability of MM is less certain to a cinema audience (especially outside the USA). A good enough story that gave all the characters enough of a role, played on their strengths, and explored the possibilities of such a pairing of Black and Mulder (in particular) should be seen as a worthwhile departure, because it would be considerable development for both shows. Development in essential in my opinion. It would be too easy to just present another typical MM type story or TX-F type arc plot on the big screen. This approach not only resolves a studio pro of being able to kill two birds with one stone, but also has obvious commercial appeal to a far larger audience.

Whilst not being unduly pessimistic, I would expect any outing for either, or both, shows to something of a final curtain call - rather than a new beginning - and as such would like to see the whole thing go out with a big bang. I think the quasi-religious millenial overtones of MM could easily be combined with the alien invasion themes of TX-F. Look to the film Event Horizon to see how evil/horror and sc-fi have been combined quite successfully before. I take you points about the views of the actors themselves and obviously such aspects could be indeed be deal-breakers, but there is no harm in exploring other possibilities which might turn out to be more realisable than an utter allegiance to perhaps an unworkable position. Perhaps we might come to realise that The Millennium Group and The Syndicate were working together all these years, or part of the same thing - and perhaps both Mulder/Scully and Black/Hollis were chasing the same things from different (and occasionally the same) directions?

Actually the aim of the campaign isn't to make a multi-million dollar blockbuster. Yes, it would be wonderful, but the aim is to see Millennium to return in some form. Now Lance has always mooted the idea of a TV movie - a Hallmarkesque one off, or an independent film (depending on FOX's position), so I don't think the chances are as slim as you suggest as you're focusing on specific type of movie model.

As you probably know, early talks look likely on Millennium. Where it will go, I don't know, but there is a good amount of money to be invested into this at the offset without the usual drumming for investors that is required. So depending on FOX, chances could be good. I don't think this a bad situation at all, in fact, things are very exciting indeed!

• 3 months later...

I see the Millenium Group and the Syndicate as groups with totally different agenda's and world views. That is why Watts was always making jokes about people who believed in aliens. The Syndicate was focused on an extraterrestrial threat while the Millenium Group was focused on a religious end to the world. I could see the Owls as being more willing perhaps to align with the Syndicate but they seemed to be focused on the mid-twenty first century event. I don't think that the MG and the Syndicate would even appear on one anothers radars as their specific obsessions are fairly different.

• 2 months later...
Guest Butler'sMan2000

The time is now ... with the ever growing Millennium fan base and impending release of Millennium: The Complete First Season on DVD, what better time to make a movie of the cult sci-fi horror series? Lance wants it, you want it, Chris Carter wants it, movie-goers would love it, the statistics support it; the only ones we need to persuade are Fox. Sign our new petition to persuade Fox to bring back Frank Black and make a Millennium movie:

https://www.petitiono...m/petition.html

If you need any more encouragement, just remember Lance's words when asked if he and Chris Carter had talked about the film, "Yeah, I'm hoping that happens. If enough people write to Fox it could happen."

Over the next couple of months, all signatures will be collected, and a mailing campaign sent to the executives at Fox.

Sue Myatt

P.S. A little note to the cynics out there - "Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does." ~ William James

As much as I would like this two happen is anyone worried about the movie killing what the series was? I mean X-Files I want to believe made horrible box office returns. Sometimes sequels are not good to do. What do you guys think?

Guest RodimusBen
As much as I would like this two happen is anyone worried about the movie killing what the series was? I mean X-Files I want to believe made horrible box office returns. Sometimes sequels are not good to do. What do you guys think?

Financial factors aside, most hardcore X-Files fans I know enjoyed the film, because they were interested in the characters as much as the mythology. The public ignored the second X-Files movie for two reasons: first, it came out the weekend after The Dark Knight, which no one could have predicted would become the juggernaut that it did, and second, they wanted an X-Files movie to be about aliens rather than a serial killer. That's my take on it; I know the topic has been debated as nauseum here so you can dig up some old threads for more on that. But the point is that just because it didn't make a lot of money doesn't make it a bad movie.

The general consensus about a Millennium movie, if there is indeed any kind of consensus, seems to be that it should be something that can functionally stand alone as a serial killer story so as to attract casual viewers, while tying up loose ends of the series to satisfy the long time fans. I too was once skeptical about the notion that a Millennium movie was even plausible, but the sheer enthusiasm for the prospect-- not just by fans, but by the actors and crew that made the series-- won me over. Millennium is remembered with great zeal by people all over the entertainment industry. If any long-dead franchise stands a chance of resurrection, it's Millennium.

• 4 weeks later...

Financial factors aside, most hardcore X-Files fans I know enjoyed the film, because they were interested in the characters as much as the mythology. The public ignored the second X-Files movie for two reasons: first, it came out the weekend after The Dark Knight, which no one could have predicted would become the juggernaut that it did, and second, they wanted an X-Files movie to be about aliens rather than a serial killer. That's my take on it; I know the topic has been debated as nauseum here so you can dig up some old threads for more on that. But the point is that just because it didn't make a lot of money doesn't make it a bad movie.

The general consensus about a Millennium movie, if there is indeed any kind of consensus, seems to be that it should be something that can functionally stand alone as a serial killer story so as to attract casual viewers, while tying up loose ends of the series to satisfy the long time fans. I too was once skeptical about the notion that a Millennium movie was even plausible, but the sheer enthusiasm for the prospect-- not just by fans, but by the actors and crew that made the series-- won me over. Millennium is remembered with great zeal by people all over the entertainment industry. If any long-dead franchise stands a chance of resurrection, it's Millennium.

Its a shame this has never been able to come to fruition. I would love to see a real Millennium ending or another real good serial killer type Frank Black movie. What else does Carter have to do these days? Is he involved with anything else? Will there ever be another X-Files movie after the last disaster he came up with?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest soylentgreenspeople

Okay first of all i have been checking out Lance's interviews (all the ones i can find) and he seems like the coolest guy ever! Id love to hang out with him for a day! Anyways whenever MillenniuM is brought up, he ALWAYS says the movie is GOING to happen! Now if we were all that confident, i really don't think their would be a B2FB campaign or this wonderful website! Now do you guys think its possible that Lance knows something we don't? And that he cant reveal it yet? Lemmy know what you guys think! Thanks!