Back to Frank Black -- The Millennium Movie Campaign

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

• Elders (Moderators)

Hey, here's another fresh one, this time at the xfilesnews.com, from an article on the recent Chilean XF convention.

"Hopes for a Millenium movie surfaced again, and the desire for a feature film is strong. Carter expressed numerous times that the character of Frank Black is one of his favorites and wants to keep the posibility open."

https://www.xfilesnews.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=153

:clapping::wiggle::boody::bogie::rock2:

Guest Jim McLean

I'm always a mix on such topics, fully aware of the really serious nature of any campaign to get any studio to invest on a product they are skeptical on, and the fact that the way forward is actually more viable now than it ever has been.

Not specifically for movies (as funding is as hard as it ever has been), but I think a campaign to highlight the cult interest in Millennium may bring the product to a DVD market. Millennium isn't an overtly expensive cult show (no ships, massive monsters, set-pieces etc), so it could just take a little nudge on the back of a (hopefully) decent X-Files gross to see the ball rolling on a production of some sort.

As for the campaign itself - I'm a firm believer in trying if you want something, but as a whole unless they are fantastically organized, they are tough work. On the upside we have a production team eager to go forward, potential interest speculating in the market with the X-Files, a lead actor willing to come on board, and technically a lower than your usual cult film budget costs (no need for big CG and the like).

Naturally, a petition is good, but it is vital that we encourage letters not net sign ups. Net sign-ups are a great start, but in the end, its letters that carry the effect. Anyone with a vague interest can spend 30 seconds signing a net petition - it doesn't tell a studio that person will be a guaranteed investment in a film. A letter on the other hand tells them the person is so interested they'll put pen to paper.. and a stamp!

So like Eth said, a webpage is needed - an address for letters, a template for letters, information very clearly making the case that the production (Carter/Henriksen/et al) are behind getting a new movie (eg; a little hope to invest on visitors) and as has been said a good campaign motif (yellow house, etc).

Petitions rarely work, but they can - if they are worked hard enough and the time is right. Letters are really the key at this level (unless people are going into the complex donations schemes which can be effective for putting out hard copy advertising in papers).

The only question is the pitch. I like the yellow house, and MM is the brand - but should we look towards Frank as the key to sell fan interest on? If I was a studio being encouraged, I would perhaps want to see than audience interest is in a viable character than a story based on an event which has long since past - if you see what I mean! It depends on what Carter is pitching obviously, but I think as a fan initiative it would be wise to saying how fans want Frank Black to return because I think that shows the fan public have an interest in a viable return of a character rather than a lingering attachment to a show that might be hard to sell 8 years after the Millennium. If that makes sense...!

I can see why studios would balk at Millennium for that reason - not understanding the show's texture and lead character are the gems, not the year 2000 - I could imagine many getting worried about a product that by its name is so dated.. so maybe a Frank Black Back campaign could be a good angle to show the fans are interested in the progressive potential of the character rather than a want for an old show.

Guest Jim McLean
Hey, here's another fresh one, this time at the xfilesnews.com, from an article on the recent Chilean XF convention.

"Hopes for a Millenium movie surfaced again, and the desire for a feature film is strong. Carter expressed numerous times that the character of Frank Black is one of his favorites and wants to keep the posibility open."

https://www.xfilesnews.com/index.php?option...&Itemid=153

:clapping::wiggle::boody::bogie::rock2:

Something actually VERY important we should do is trall the net entertainment news sites and make sure they cover this story, and if they haven't email it - the more net sites covering the possibility I think the stronger the chances of getting audience interest and people behind this - particularly if we could mention the online petition.

I'd say set up a QUICK webpage with petition link, LETTER link and details and then canvas the news sites and GIVE them some news! Fans react to Carters wish for a new Frank Black show! Using the net resources to spread the word!

• Elders (Moderators)

Great posts, brilliant ideas, Laredo!

If I was a studio being encouraged, I would perhaps want to see than audience interest is in a viable character than a story based on an event which has long since past - if you see what I mean! It depends on what Carter is pitching obviously, but I think as a fan initiative it would be wise to saying how fans want Frank Black to return because I think that shows the fan public have an interest in a viable return of a character rather than a lingering attachment to a show that might be hard to sell 8 years after the Millennium. If that makes sense...!

I was actually trying to say something like that, I'm glad you did it for me! :rofl: (Not being able to fully express my thoughts is truly frustrating.)

Guest Jim McLean
I was actually trying to say something like that, I'm glad you did it for me! :rofl: (Not being able to fully express my thoughts is truly frustrating.)

And here I was thinking it didn't make an ounce of sense! :) It was building on your point.

So yes, I wish I had the time to lead such a crusade, but I don't, so imo summing up:

Website: Just a single page needs to be up ASAP with links to online petition but with STRONG encouragement to write to FOX or whoever.

Attack the press groups: In my experience with press, you can't do any wrong in feeding stories. Most journalists don't really want to hunt for news, so if a press release can do their work for them, they are more than happy. I'd suggest the angle that the fans respond to Spotniz/Carter's desire for Millennium - citing Henriksens interest (with relevant quote sources) and how the petition is online but the Legion of Black (or whatever self describing pun works best) needs help and letters to persuade studios how cool this would be.

Contact Carter/Henriksen/Spotniz directly to get a nod of encouragement - if its in their interest, any official statement can be used as a SECOND press release. The more responses that can prime a press release the more likely the journalists will take it on and prioritise it.

The standard trawl of message boards, banner exchanges and the ilk based perhaps on some of the great ideas in this thread. Look at seeing if it can get a mention/link at Wikipedia (being a major net focal point)

Perhaps look at a podcast - this is in the works I know - but perhaps run the podcast with a review of XF2 from fans, comments on bringing MM back and bingo - we have a podcast that can work as a promo for the campaign and some fun.. AND we can look at get it hosted by ITUNES.

So there is potential - its a matter of not relying on petitions and looking to use the net media to the advantage.

The posts above are exactly the reason Laredo sprung to mind immediately as the perfect conductor of such a campaign though I am all too aware of how busy he is. If we are to realise this rather than theorise over it we need someone of his mettle to be in with even the slimmest of chances. Whilst I can certainly lend some creativity to this I do not possess an ounce of media knowledge and believe we need to look for someone who is as well versed in such matters as Laredo.

My second thought was maybe Tobias though I know he is often very busy. Working within the industry would give him a much better advantage than I could provide. Baz would be a superb choice also. the promotional and viral work he has suggested for VS6 is superb.

In fact probably anyone but me would be ideal lol.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Jim McLean

Regardless of who masterminds this campaign, there has to be those adept at creating it. :)

We need a webpage really - can anyone mock something up? We'll need a title - something catching or relevant to push the campaign forward. Something like The Legion of Black - something perhaps less emo-sounding. And then we can get to work. We can organise better if we have something to toy with.

I'm happy to draft proposals or make a few contacts. Promotions is currently something I'm involved with in my day to day work, so in that sense I'm useful I guess - :) - I just know I won't have the time to be trawling websites or building webpages.

Do we know who Carter and co were approaching? I assume any petition still remains with FOX given they own the show. We can nab a template letter from a host of websites for saving shows (Jericho, Firefly, Angel, Enterprise all had template letters) - difference is that I'm not sure who technically we're aiming at (I assume FOX is the lynchpin), so we need an address.

Edited by Jim McLean

I know of some several places we can take our viral MillenniuM campaign. One being ChillerTV.com where MillenniuM is still being shown here in the US. Since the Millennial Abyss is back up we can start there. For those with MySpace accounts like me could take upon spreading the campaign. I also have a few pals that run some horror websites, i am sure they wouldnt mind helping the campaign.

Guest Jim McLean

Its a start! I'll link promotions through my Myspace/Facebook etc (it was Graham's FB post that alerted me, so it shows how such small time promos are important). Chiller is a good source to approach. We could simply go with Millennial Abyss: Back to Black - or something like that.

Need some coolio designs

I think Joe's comment about the social networking sites is a great one and we should aim to get this campaign noticed on as many as possible. Wouldn't it be cool to take this into Second Life as well? I have only briefly seen the thing but know it is used as a promotional tool the world over, even unlikely candidates such as the British Labour Party have campaigned within its Virtual World.

On an unrelated note it would be an amazing tool to manipulate to provide for Millennium Role Play. We could modify avatars based on Millennium Characters, purchase offices, have Group meetings (now I'm just rambling....)

On the suggestion of a website. As far as I understand it none of us are experienced designers so would it not be desirous to run the thing from something such as a Facebook Group. Donkeyjote has created a Millennium Group on Facebook which he is using to promote the existing petition, I wish I could find the link and I would share but maybe Donkey will provide it for us when he visits. Maybe we could do something similar?

PS Loving the Back to Black title.

Eth