X-Files I Want to Believe - Bombs?

Rate this topic

Guest SeanDubh

I just got back from seeing I Want To Believe for the second time. Also I'm taking my girl to see The Dark Night later this week, but I'll be buying tickets to The X-Files and sneaking us into our film. A little juvenile, yes, but I figure this film needs every dime it can get. Today I only saw seven other people in the theatre.

Guest ZeusFaber

UPDATE:

The total domestic opening weekend gross is reported at $10.2m. Fox had hoped for something in the region of $24m, while analysts had predicted something in the region of $16-22m. So it's generally fallen short, almost worse-case-scenario.

International receipts are going to have to do all the work now, but again face unprecedented competition from The Dark Knight.

Guest Laurent.

And I guess that the poor numbers in the US make a bad publicity for the movie in the rest of the world. That's a shame.

Many thanks for the update Zeus although it doesn't make for heartening reading. I agree with Laran that the current state of affairs is a terrible shame but I'm keeping everything crossable crossed for a European success. I am going in a group of ten to see the opening night and we have just purchased tickets for a second showing so here's hoping the Limey's will hurry to aid the success of this is in the UK and no I'm not going to see Dark Knight :)

Best wishes,

Eth

ZF my friend...thanks very much for the shocking numbers...WOW 14 million dollars shy of just breaking even... if you listen closely, you can hear great wailing and gnashing of teeth going on at Fox executive offices right now!!!!....the one bright spot is that the first film, worldwide did 189 million...that would mean simply that we are going to have to rely on our allies to come through for us this time....

4th Horseman

How right you are my friend,

My overarching trepidation is that the movie has been promoted so poorly in the UK that it runs of the risk of aping the tepid response seen in the US. The only media promotion that has thus far been aired was a television special that received no promotion and was shunted into a godforsaken graveyard slot in the early hours of the morning. I have seen a trailer for this on UK screens but thus far only on the satelite channel 'Dave' which caters for a small, niche audience. As a fellow Brit pointed out to me recently he is still encountering a great many genre fans who didn't even know the Movie was due to open. I cannot comment on the degree of promotion stateside but here in Blighty my fear is that is has not been adequate.

I hope none of this stands in the way of a potential UK success.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

Québec's box office numbers for the weekend are not out yet... but movie tickets do not sell that much over here... Although The Dark Knight did manage to get 2 millions $ last weekend... and only 150 000 $ for Hellboy.

I'll update this post with the figures as soon as I can!

Guest ZeusFaber

UPDATE:

The movie has taken an additional $9.3m in select international markets, but it's still yet to open in many key territories.

At least Senior Vice-President of Fox Distribution Chris Aronson is staying upbeat, although it's his job to put a positive spin on things. He said that the weekend box office results were "within our reasonable expectations. I read some X-Files fan sites and the postings on there were incredibly positive about the film. The hardcore `X-Files' fans, they're happy. And frankly, that's who the movie was made for. The movie was made for a great price, and will be more than profitable at the end of the day.”

Guest Laurent.

I'm not sure how much money FOX have in the bank, so how much they can "invest" at a given time or if that even is a limiting factor in terms of number of projects they can afford to produce... but in my mind, as long as movie makes money, there's no doubt it was a good move for them. X-Files movie, especially low-budget affairs like IWTB, will always make money only with the fans and dvds. So why wouldn't they want to make another one?

I'm just wondering, because so many people are saying this is the end of the franchise... but this movie will surely make some profit... and any profit is a good thing.. no?

Guest ZeusFaber

Not exactly, because it's not really enough in this age just to make a profit, it's about how much of a profit you can make.

For Fox, a return on their investment is certainly better than nothing, but if they can get a greater return by investing their money in something else, they'll do it in a heartbeat. So if an X-Files project only ends up making them pocket change in profit, it may seem more worthwhile to invest in another project that promises a better performance.

That said, it's not over until it's over. There are more markets yet to come, and the record-breaking competition of The Dark Knight effects the context. It's just that it's already facing an uphill struggle.