X-Files I Want to Believe - Bombs?

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

I'm kind of really hoping that the dvd sales will be amazing for christmas!

From a member of the XFU boards:

Post by Knowle on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:00 am

Guys- there may be method in Fox's madness. TXF is a MONSTER in the home video market- an absolute goldmine. You put this movie out, it does so-so business in the theaters but you get it out for the holidays for DVD and it makes money hand over fist. I don't know any different, but that certainly makes a lot of sense to me. And once Batmania Redux dies down, I think reviewers will be a lot more rational about IWTB. Put a lot of juicy extras on the DVD and it does boffo biz.

P.S. I understand your explanation Zeus and thank you for answering so quickly. I'm not so sure I agree with the logic though. With the billions that FOX must have in the bank, why wouldn't they just give 30 millions to Carter for a third XF or a brand new MM movie? I mean... it won't affect a lot their ability to invest in other projects (what's 30 million for 20th century FOX?) and they know they'll win at least a few millions in the end. Don't you agree? Or maybe I imagine them a lot richer than they actually are...

I have to say I agree with Zeus, Laran. Whilst I concur that making money is always a desirous thing surely a consideration in the decision to continue the franchise will be informed by many factors not solely the potential to generate a somewhat modest revenue. Whilst we as admirers of the franchise are commenting on its current state with respect and moderation, many internet sites and other media outlets are not. Fox will shy from being associated with films that are generating the response currently evident across the net. I read on another board how a member commented on the high proportion of sites which are leading their coverage with such buzzwords as tanked, flopped, embarrassment and so on and I can't imagine this is giving Fox executives much to smile about behind the scenes.

Best wishes,

Eth

Does anyone else think that Sarah-Jane Redmond plays the part of Lucy Butler in the movie? She appears only for 3 seconds as a Special Agent but her eerie mien was exactly the same of Lucy Butlers...

Guest ZeusFaber
P.S. I understand your explanation Zeus and thank you for answering so quickly. I'm not so sure I agree with the logic though. With the billions that FOX must have in the bank, why wouldn't they just give 30 millions to Carter for a third XF or a brand new MM movie? I mean... it won't affect a lot their ability to invest in other projects (what's 30 million for 20th century FOX?) and they know they'll win at least a few millions in the end. Don't you agree? Or maybe I imagine them a lot richer than they actually are...

I can see why it's tempting to think like that, but the reality is that there are virtually an infinite amount of movie scripts vying for business in Hollywood, and 90% of them never get made. For every vaguely tempting prospect put before a studio, there are thousands, if not millions, of others on the table. If they allocate $30m to something, that will affect their investments, it will affect that very $30m. Try not to think of it in terms of $30m out of a huge pot full of more cash, think of it in terms of what that $30m on its own terms can do for you. They might have their fingers in many other pies, but they want to get the maximum possible out of each pie. No business writes off a portion of capital on the logic of any bit of profit it makes will do.

An analogy I'd make is to betting on a horse-race. If you spend one dollar betting on Horse X, even if it wins and brings you a prize of five dollars, if you see that you could have put your dollar on Horse Y in another race and won ten dollars, you'll kick yourself. You don't say, "what the hell it was only a dollar," you say, "if only I'd have made a better choice, I could have won twice as much." In the movie business, studio are always looking to the maximum like that. They wont be satisfied with a little profit if they can make a lot of profit elsewhere.

The entirety of their development budgets have to go somewhere, and the trick of the game is to make every single bit count. They wouldn't be much of a business if they didn't.

But, with all of that said, it doesn't mean that it's the absolute end of the world for Ten Thirteen movies. For one thing, of course, the final figures have yet to be decided, as we all know. But beyond that, there is always the chance that whatever other prospects are on the table next time around might come with their own set of financial risks. Most other Fox movies so far this summer haven't fared well either. You could say, you're only as bad as your greatest rival. If everything else vying for Fox's cash look equally shaky, there might just be a chance. And there is the schmoozing factor in Hollywood. Well placed friends can do as much good as anything. In short, never say never.

Oh, and Bono, please be careful with spoilers in this thread, otherwise I'll have to leave you all until the weekend. Thanks for understanding.

Dear friends,

Please let me take this opportunity to inform our newer members with regards our spoiler policy. It is perfectly acceptable to share spoilers with other readers as long as they are obscured allowing individual choice as to whether or not to read them. When posting you will see on drop down menu entitled 'Insert Special Item' which has an 'Insert: SPOILER' option within it. Select it and enter your text into the box. As you will all be aware there are members here yet to see this movie so please ensure you are giving all the chance to remain spoiler-free.

Best wishes,

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

Well, I've been somewhat disappointed when it comes to promoting the movie here in Finland. It's true that this is a small nation, and the Finnish numbers won't make a big difference anyway, but still.. Heck, the freakin' Kung Fu Panda is getting more attention here! :ranting:

Guest Laurent.

Total US Gross: $11,032,018

International Gross: $9,300,000

Worldwide Gross: $20,332,018

With the movie opening this friday in a few countries, they'll be on par with the budget, or slightly over, with its theater run and the dvd will make a lot of money only with the collectors who already have all the series!

Far from a bomb no? I remember far worse movies who weren't considered bombs even though they couldn't get even with their cost.

Laran,

Sky News are carrying the strory that XF2 is predicted to close with takings close to those made by Fight the Future. This would be a superb end to the story and wondered if there was any truth to the matter? They are reporting this prediction has been made by 'experts'?

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

That would be awesome! I guess a lot of people didn't know that a X-Files movie was coming out and now the fact that the media are saying that it "bombed" is at least making some publicity for the movie! If it can stay in the theaters for a few weeks, the numbers could grow a lot I guess! I doubt they'll reach the Fight the Future's box office success... but we can hope. I know some fans are thinking that IWTB has the potential to be the sleeper hit of the summer... we'll know in a few weeks.