X-Files I Want to Believe - Bombs?

Rate this topic

Guest retroboy

International box office hasn't been officially tallied (despite what wikipedia says), but I'm confident that the international market will help push the numbers up significantly. I just hope that the new film makes enough money to allow Carter et al to make one last XF film to tie in the 2012 invasion and bring the series' mythology to a close.

I have to agree with Mr. Dubh to be honest,

My own addled understanding is that in shedding the trappings of its mythology XF2 hoped to increase its appeal and herald a new generation of Philes which it seems it has struggled to do. If it chooses to follow this film with an insular, mytharc based narrative that requires a working understanding of the show's mythology it runs the risk of appealing to even less people than the current offering. It seems, based on some of the reviews, a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

My new favorite critic has commented on this issue: The comment is currently the third article from the top, and his brilliant review of the movie is the fourth.

(...) once international box office figures are tallied, DVD purchases and rentals are factored in, and a cable TV sale is made...there's little doubt this film will have been judged a financial success. History shows us that even when an franchise entry doesn't become an "instant hit," that doesn't mean the franchise is over. Back in 1997, things looked pretty grim for a hero named Batman, didn't they? Look where that franchise is today.

Guest ZeusFaber

Current worldwide gross stands at approximately $22.15m, and that's before the imminent opening weekend in the UK and other key overseas markets. As such, I'm hopeful that by Monday it will be in the black, having surpassed its $30m budget.

Hi all,

Finally found the figures for the UK opening weekend and it isn't pretty chaps. 'X-Files I Want to Believe' took only £887.209. If the UK follows the trend shown in the US during the second week (the US figures are $3,425,000 -66% on the previous weekend) the XIWTB could make as little as £301.651 which would be a real shame. I really did feel the UK would be better than this.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest Laurent.

Like I posted on Zeus' review thread, there are still a few countries where the movie has not been released yet. There is still hope to earn double the budget with 60 million $ right?

Furthermore, Meet Dave (also produced by 20th century fox) has earned 11 millions after 24 days while IWTB is at 17 millions $ after 10 days. Meet Dave had twice the budget of IWTB. Let's hope FOX conclude that they should invest in XF3 instead of another Eddy Murphy movie.

Guest Laurent.

Ok, I've been trying to get Québec's box office numbers and I had a hard time doing so because my regular source (my newspaper) sometimes only shows the top 5 or the top 10... well guess what? Here's IWTB opening weekend:

1 -48% THE DARK KNIGHT 1 833 662

2 -32% JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE E... 496 385

3 N BIENVENUE CHEZ LES CH'TIS 431 787

4 N STEP BROTHERS 415 655

5 -34% MAMMA MIA! 377 185

6 -42% HANCOCK 309 658

7 -30% WALL-E 257 816

8 -38% CRUISING BAR 2 252 859

9 N X-FILES - I WANT TO BELIEVE 250 981

10 -53% HELLBOY II - THE GOLDEN ARMY 139 766

And it's now out of the top 10... I'll try to go see it for a second times soon or it'll be out of the theater before I know it.

UPDATE ON XF2 INTERNATION REVENUE STREAMS..

In Russia, 555 screens, XF2 took in 58,812,285 rubels, which sounds like a lot??? it converts at todays exchange rate to U.S. dollars in the very paltry sum of $1,423,080.000

In Brazil, 126 screens, XF2 took in 917,227 BRL (Real), which also sounds like a lot??? in U.S. dollar, at todays exchange rate, an even worse take of $569,975.000

So far to date, as of 8/10/08, the domestic take is approximately $20M...still 10-15M shy of breaking even...although i am sure the box office numbers will eventually pump out a nice tidy little profit for Fox...

4th Horseman...