XF:IWTB analysis (contains spoilers)

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

If it does not take too much time it would be really appreciated.

By the way, sorry for my ignorance, can you (russians in general) understand whatever a polish person says?

Guest Laurent.

Hey blackoil! This post from Spotnitz's blog will surely interest you!

You are of course right about the names -- they came from friends and colleagues, not from research, which is why they're not authentically Russian. As for why the bad guys in the movie were Russian, it's because experiments like the ones we depict in the film actually were performed on dogs in the Soviet Union in the 1950s.

Guest Laurent.

Hahaha what?!?! :doh:

I think you'll have to explain that one to me HPD... sorry, it must be a cultural thing!

P.S.

@Blackoil: was anyone offended that the bad guys were russians? Maybe you've gotten used to it because of all the action movies from the 80's.. I know some fans (at imdb) thought it was stupid and unneeded (which I don't understand.. they had to come from somewhere anyway), but Spotnitz's post explains their decision perfectly I think.

If it does not take too much time it would be really appreciated.

OK, this is almost full transcript:

The first scene with the Second Victim in the box. Dr. Uroff-Koltoff and his assistant come to the victim.

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: She is cold and she's afraid.

Male assistant: Let's move her to another place. (they move the box) ..... (incomprehensibly) ..... She needs a blanket.

Franz Tomczeszyn has bleeding eyes.

Janke: He is sick. Look, his eyes! He's dying!

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff brings some food to the 2nd Victim:

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: Are you hungry? Here, eat. It will give you an energy.

Male assistant: The guy is really collapsing!

(Franz is having a seizure.)

Janke and Dr. Uroff-Koltoff argue.

Janke: Yes, yes, today!

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: Please listen to me--

Janke: Shut up!

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: No, no--

Janke: Today, today!

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff is removing Franz's head from an FBI agent's body.

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: (to his assistant) Take that, give me tongs.

Female assistant: Tongs.

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: (to Janke) Leave him alone! I'll do everything.

(dogs barking)

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: What's up there? (to Janke) Go there, check it out. (cutting 2nd Victim's neck) So... we have no time.

Mulder intrudes labaratory. Dr. Uroff-Koltoff injects him with a tranquilizer.

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: (to Mulder) You have to go away.

Janke: (beats Mulder) Have a rest!

Skinner intrudes labaratory. Dr. Uroff-Koltoff and his assistants are hold in the box.

Dr. Uroff-Koltoff: He doesn't understand.

------

There were more words actually but because of the bad quality of the bootleg we couldn't decipher them.

By the way, sorry for my ignorance, can you (russians in general) understand whatever a polish person says?

Although there are some similar words, our languages are quite different so it needs at least a minimal knowledge of the language to understand it. But I guess, without that minimal knowledge Russians can't understand Polish (in general), and vice versa. :)

Hey blackoil! This post from Spotnitz's blog will surely interest you!

Thanks! :) But that was actually my letter to Frank LOL :) I'm really glad he answered my question.

@Blackoil: was anyone offended that the bad guys were russians? Maybe you've gotten used to it because of all the action movies from the 80's.. I know some fans (at imdb) thought it was stupid and unneeded (which I don't understand.. they had to come from somewhere anyway), but Spotnitz's post explains their decision perfectly I think.

Well, fans weren't offended, although some of them had a reaction like "oh well, Russians are bad guys again... *roll eyes* Same old story. Sure, fine, whatever." But most of us weren't offended at all because I think it's kinda stupid to be offended by something fictional. The only thing that really bothered us was those really strange "Russian" names, as I pointed out to Frank in my letter. We were like: "well, if they wanted bad guys to be Russian why didn't they give them Russian names and last names? It needs 1 minute of Googling to find authentical names." LOL So I'm glad that Frank clarified this and he kinda confirmed that names are indeed Polish.

So that was fans' reaction. Russian movie critics had another reaction, as you can imagine. :)))

As for 80's action movies, I actually used to love them. LOL They were so funny and trashy. :)))

As for expirements on dogs, I remember watching a documentary some years ago about this and I always thought that these expirements were really creepy. I mean, two-headed dog -- that's something totally sick! Although those experiments were really ground breaking at that time.

Edited by Blackoil

Guest Laurent.
Thanks! :) But that was actually my letter to Frank LOL :) I'm really glad he answered my question.

Damn... and when I saw the name of the poster on FS's blog, I thought: "I guess there's dozens of Juri in Russia..." and I didn't even consider it could be you. I'm no Frank Black... not even Fox Mulder. :doh:

Thanks a lot for the transcript! Don't you think this particular line:

Janke: He is sick. Look, his eyes! He's dying!

really fits with your interpretation of Father Joe's bleeding eyes? I do.

Don't you think this particular line:

really fits with your interpretation of Father Joe's bleeding eyes? I do.

Yeah, I do, too. ;) By the way did you read an official IWTB novelization? It has some deleted scenes (I guess they were in the original script because the novelization is based on script) and one of them is another creepy scene in that laboratory.

Guest Laurent.

An idea that I like: the way everyone give Scully some wide-eyed looks at the end of the movie, when she decides to go on with the controversial treatment, mirrors perfectly how Mulder was regarded throughout his entire FBI career. She has now become Spooky Scully in her own field.