Burning Flames of Gehenna

Rate this topic

I don't know... I was watching Gehenna earlier today when I got this feeling that I could take that episode and throw it right in the middle of George Orwell's novel 1984... Big Brother's always watching... destroying the weakminded so that the strong could survive... What do you all think?

• Elders (Moderators)

Hi Kara, nice to meet you! :hiya: The thought you brought up is very interesting indeed, and certainly one good way to look at the episode, because there are many references to totalitarian ideologies there, for example the Nazi system. Firstly, the name of the bad guy, Ricardo Clement, was the name the Nazi officer Adolf Eichmann used while he was hiding in Argentina after the war. Furthermore, the slogans on the slides are a creepy reminder of the Nazi ideology, especially the "Work will set you free" which translates into "Arbeit macht frei", the motto above the gate of the Auschwitz concentration camp.

:censored:

Sorry Kara, I'm sure this was posted without thinking but I've removed what could I consider to be an insensitive comment in relation to the Auschwitz concentration camp.

Edited by The Old Man

• 1 year later...

I guess I would sum this one up as predicable and common cult indoctrination with a spooky Satanic twist!

Though the predictable cult stuff still draws people in, depending on their needs.

On a different note, it almost seemed like a waste to save Mike Atkins' life, when he seemed to needlessly die in "Powers," but then again, killing off Peter in that episode instead, would have been detrimintal to the show.

I know it all fits together, but those are just a few initial thoughts I have had about this episode over the years.

I would have likeed to see more of Mike Atkins, being how Frank held him in such high regard for bringing him into the group and how much Frank seemed to rely on Mike.

I would have likeed to see more of Mike Atkins, being how Frank held him in such high regard for bringing him into the group and how much Frank seemed to rely on Mike.

I think that's the key to why he was killed. When they were constructing the show several parts were created who were to have been old FBI buddies of Frank Black. Stephen E Miller was even cast in one of the roles before the idea nixed. CC realised that to ramp up the sense of threat and tension with regards to the world Frank lived in he couldn't have a support system in place. It was him and his family against the world. It was the reason why Frank is shown relocating at the very start of his journey to emphasise the isolation and lack of community that Frank's new life afforded him. Killing Mike was another attempt to destabilise the character as the one individual he had begun to rely upon for support was lost to him.

I like Mike and his relationship with Frank but I can see the reasons for doing what they did and I think they worked well.

Eth

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...