X-files movie felt equally like Millenium to me

Rate this topic

Guest cgstewart

Guest ZeusFaber
I watched the Pilot last night (Again) and the search scenes for victims looked very similar to me.

I think it's probably just because that's how police search lines look. Any scene of people searching for a body is going to look similar in that sense. But in I Want to Believe they're trekking across ice, jabbing it with sharp sticks to penetrate, whereas in the Millennium pilot they're going through woodland with torches and across a river at night, making them visually distinctive despite undertaking what is fundamentally a very set task.

Guest Moriarty

Nice topic. But I really do not see how IWTB can be compared with MM. I know lots of people here on the boards who feel like IWTB has a MM atmosphere but I just don't feel or see it. From my point of view it is just a two-parter XF-episode. A dark two parter that is... with a bad script according to my opinion.

Where does the comparison with MM come from?

Take care.

Guest ZeusFaber

While I don't agree with your general opinions on the quality of the film, I do agree with your dismissal of the MM comparison.

To me, the routes of the comparisons are merely surface deep. The aforementioned search-line for example, merely linked for the fact it's a search line than anything else. Then there is Billy Connolly's character, again a surface comparison for his "psychic visions", even though Frank didn't start out as that kind of psychic, and the visual representations of each facility are very different. So in my opinion, the link is only one of a first glance. This was an X-File through and through.

• Elders (Moderators)

To me, it was something about the general atmosphere of the movie, not so much about the characters or the plot. I would have to see the movie again before I could offer any kind of further explanation for my Millenniumistic thoughts and feelings.

Btw, it's good to see you posting again, Moriarty!

Guest Moriarty

Thanks DBSD :-)

Now don't get me wrong here, I liked the movie but it just did not feel Millenniumistic to me. Not at all. For me it was just an average XF-episode, no more, no less.

The x-file itself was not scary and the characters are underwritten. Especially the Peet and Xzibit characters. But hey, who cares right? They gave us back Mulder and Scully and for that I am grateful.

Take care.

• 2 months later...
Guest Benocles

cgstewart,

You know it's funny; I thought the exact same thing. I HATED the film and its 'contribution' to the X-Files mythology, but if I think of it as an extra long episode of Millennium, it would pass I suppose...

My father's a big X-Files fan and he said the movie was terrible and disapointing which in turn made me not go see it. Is it worth the rental even if you're not into X-Files? (I'm not into X-Files). I gave the show a season or 2 back in the day and I just never liked it.

Watts, if the X-Files didn't grip you when they were at their best (seasons 2-4) then I hardly think the 2nd movie is necessary for you.

I hadn't seen this thread! And I must agree with those that pointed out similarities with MM's Pilot in particular. Not only the organized search party being led by someone with visions that few believe in, but also the fact that this person with visions finds something horrifying buried underground. The setting is different, but the similarities are striking. How many organized search parties whose supernatural leader find things underground are there in all of the episodes?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim McLean
My father's a big X-Files fan and he said the movie was terrible and disapointing which in turn made me not go see it. Is it worth the rental even if you're not into X-Files? (I'm not into X-Files). I gave the show a season or 2 back in the day and I just never liked it.

I think one can enjoy it. I can see the Millennium undertones people are feeling. I don't see any reason why if you enjoy the quality and pace of Millennium why this movie wouldn't be for you. The film stays clear of many X-Files trappings which was very impressive, and I think the main cast work well in a very different dynamic that doesn't entirely correspond to the show.

I think it was a damn fine film - regardless of my feelings on the X-Files.

I thought it was a fantastic film and was sure glad it was under the Christmas tree. I guess you could say it was just a 2 hour X Files episode,but that would be like saying Serenity is a 2 hour Firefly episode.As with Serenity, this is a movie I plan on watching a couple of times every year.

As for a millenniumistic feel, the thing that stood out for me was Scully talking to Mulder about the darkness and not wanting it in her house. That sounded very much like a Catherine and Franks discussion.All I need now is a 2 hour MillenniuM movie.