XF:IWTB on blu-ray and dvd

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I just checked this database of upcoming Blu-ray disc release dates and IWTB release date is still pending. But the Digital Bits' rumor mill states that "The X-Files: Fight the Future is now set for BD release in December, timed to coincide with the DVD and BD release of The X-Files: I Want to Believe."

I wonder if the two editions (blu-ray vs dvd) will be very different. In anyway, I hope both will be on the video stores' shelves for Christmas!

Guest ZeusFaber

Presumably the Blu-Ray will have more bonus features owing to its extra capacity.

If there was ever anything to persuade me into getting a BR player besides a major price drop, it'd be this.

• Elders (Moderators)

Oh dear. I'm a sucker for extra bonus features.

Now I have to check my bank balance and do some research on Blu-Ray, i.e. start by getting some basic ideas on what the heck it is. :wha:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Admins)

Hi Libby,

Basically you can think of Blu-Ray a high definition DVD. It has much more capacity so it can store a video in hi-def with better sound. Amongst other things, the extra space allows for improved picture-in-picture commentaries, which can be overlaid onto the original video without loss of quality. Realistically, you need a HD Ready or Full HD (better!) capable TV. You connect the player to the TV with a HDMI cable instead of a scart, for the improved high definition picture.

I've had a high definition 42" plasma TV for about a month now and trust me, HD content is absolutely breath-taking. One can only dream about seeing Millennium on Blu-Ray someday, but Laren's news about both X-Files movies being released is good news indeed. Both would look amazing in HD! Incidenatlly, uprated DVD players are now available that convert standard DVD's, I read, to something near to HD at 1080p.

Zeus, I know what you mean! Blu-Ray players are falling all the time, especially for PC's (from £68 here)! But not fast enough! C'mon down!

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks for the explanation, Graham. Now I know I definitely want it! I bought my TV and DVD player some time last year. I'll have to check whether they're compatible with Blu-Ray. I know they're connected by HDMI rather than scart, because that was the first thing that confused me and I had to call in my son to set it up properly!

The prices of the computer DVD drives isn't too bad, so I could get one of those. It would be cheaper than upgrading my TV/DVD player, but it would be a pity to watch high definition movies on a small computer monitor.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Libby,

Sounds like you might be good to go! I'm no expert but if your TV has HDMI inputs I imagine it must be HD compatible. Your instruction book will tell you for sure.

Prices of the players are dropping all the time, a December release date will fit nicely with the sales and bargains that are bound to be had. I might have to go for one then!

Graham

• Elders (Admins)

Laran,

I was just reading through the links that you posted, and it trails to a transcript of Q&A session that CC and FS did on the XF2 promotion at New York ComicCon.

The transcript is here.

FS confirms that the Blu-Ray release of XFIWTB will have LOTS of extra content which is great news for many, but I found this comment by CC amazing:

Host: Do you feel that the fan interaction changed with the Internet?

Chris: "The X-Files grew with the internet" and proceeded to tell a story about a fan at a Millenium Convention. He said a woman came up to him and spoke about how his shows made the last year of her dad's life excellent. He asked who she was and she said "Dina Martin", the daughter of Dean Martin. That was not expected by him at all in a million years.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

Good news for americans!

The region 1 dvd will be released on December 2nd and is available for pre-order on Amazon.

I don't have any info yet on the international and blu-ray releases.

Guest Laurent.

Good news for the Europeans!

Straight from Frank Spotnitz blog:

According to the studio, some territories in Europe will actually be releasing a week earlier than the United States, but it varies from country to country.