XF:IWTB on blu-ray and dvd

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I guess you figured it out by now, but I prefer the cover for the X-Phile edition!

Now I have to figure out if I only get the dvd edition, or if I buy a blu-ray one for the future.... The additional commentary (picture-by-picture) and the timeline seem quite interesting.

What are your intentions?

Guest ZeusFaber

This MIGHT turn out to be the Region 2 cover art:

xfilesiwantobeliever2.jpg

I'm undecided myself for the time being, but I think I might like it. Odd that it's labeled a 2-disc edition though, rather than 3. Hmm.

Guest betweenthelines

Aww, why can't that be the Region 1 cover art? :(

I believe the third disc in the R1 set is just a digital copy of the film. So it should contain the same extras as the "Ultimate Phile Edition".

Guest ZeusFaber

That was my thinking too. The bonus digital copy is definitely included on the R2 version, so perhaps they're just not counting it as a "third disc", more an addendum.

• Elders (Admins)
Well I am glad that there will be a three disc set on DVD too. I am not sold yet on Blue Ray but I am still somewhat uneducated with Blu-ray.

What i want to know:

I dont have an High Def Tv set as of yet but can i hook up a blue-ray player on my non HD TV?

Good news Joe, according to several sites I just Googled you can enjoy the special features of the Blu-Ray discs on non HDTV sets:

Although a Blu-ray signal can be watched through any TV, you will need a 1080p high definition TV to get the most from your player.

So yes you can access the larger content and features, you just won't get the breathtaking picture detail until you upgrade your TV set.

I never realised this before, so I'm glad you asked this question. I just checked a UK model of a Sony Blu-Ray Player and it has Component video out, S-video, composite, coaxial, analogue audio 7.1ch output, analogue audio 2ch output (gold plated) in addition to the HDMI connections for HD TV's.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I just checked further and whereas some models do have the traditional connectors like Scart, Component video out, S-video and composite, some do not and only contain the newer HDMI connectors. My advice would be to check the specs of the Blu-Ray player if you want to use it on and older TV to make sure it has the connectors you normally use.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Laurent.

Bad news for our British friends!

From Spotnitz's blog:

It is indeed confusing. The studio releases different versions of the DVD in different territories, based on sales projections. As a result, the "Ultimate X-Phile Edition" is not being released in the U.K. The two-disc U.K. edition apparently will not include the three segments of "Trust No One: Can The X-Files Remain A Secret?" or the four stills galleries.

Guest ZeusFaber

I read that too.

Obviously FS knows better than most what's going on, but I have my suspicions that this may not be the last we hear on the matter.

The three segments of "Trust No One: Can The X-Files Remain A Secret?" have been submitted to the BBFC and passed with a 15 certificate, so it would be very unusual for the studio to submit those materials if they had no intension of including them on the DVD.