What Foreign Language Films Do You Like?

I have been a fan of foreign movies.

My favorites are:

Blue- very poetic. It flows like music and it is a masterpiece. First movie of the Three Colors Trilogy (Blue, White, Red)

Amelie- very charming and very funny. I love the lead actress in this. Great 2 disc DVD set.

Run Lola Run- love the way this is put together and Franke Potente's red hair in that movie has been copied for episodes of Alias and Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Double Vision- one of the best thrillers/horror movies I have seen in quite a while. Filmed in Taiwan. not to be confused with that other movie of the same name starring kim Cattrall. the Taiwan movie stars david Morse and Tony Leung.

Heroic Trio- Great action stuff in this HK movie.

So what are yours? let's the discussion begin.

Be Seeing you,

David Blackwell

Edited by voidprime

"Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to. "- Buckaroo Banzai

"There are no answers- only choices."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Seraphim

"Amelie" is an excellent film. Very uplifting. I like a lot of foreign films. Though most of that is Anime. It actually outweighs the amount of American films and TV I watch. Though, I find American TV to be prett dry right now. I like live-action Japanese cinema as well, though. Though, I have had the intention, I have not gotten around to watching more non-Japanese foreign films. I did finally get around to watching a film that is, for the most part, French. It is called "Winged Migration". It is arguably a "documentary" film about bird migrations. It was very good.

Edited by Seraphim

Guest Pencil Machine Operator

Most of the films I watch are foreign language, they're not as obsessed with PROFITPROFITPROFIT as the mainstream stuff.

I agree about the Three Colours films, they're great. But you should see 'A Short Film About Killing', by the same director. It's really powerful and very, ummm... millenniumistic.

Another Millenniumistic foreign film is 'Time of The Wolf'. It's pretty hardcore arthouse stuff, about the end of the world. It's extremely unsettling, and, though it's one of the greatest films I've ever seen, I NEVER want to see it again...

'In the Mood for Love'... lovely asian romance, kind of like the Three Colours films, but with hardly any dialogue. :smokin:

Loads more, but I'll spare you the waffle. :blush:

Guest Echelon

I've really have wanted to see Moon Child for a long time now, it a Japanese movie starring Gackt. Haven't been able to get around buying it though..

I also like THE CRIMSON RIVERS (waiting for the sequel to get released in the US) and BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF. Still want to see IRREVERSIBLE.

"Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to. "- Buckaroo Banzai

Guest Pencil Machine Operator

Irreversible? You actually WANT to see that? It's gotten good reviews and all, but the idea of an eight-minute rape scene and a man getting his head stoved in with a fire extinguisher makes me think "hmmm... maybe not." (But don't get me wrong, I think extremism is necessary in films... and any film that conveys the true horror of rape is worthwile, I guess)

Has the film been released uncut in America?

Irreversible? You actually WANT to see that? It's gotten good reviews and all, but the idea of an eight-minute rape scene and a man getting his head stoved in with a fire extinguisher makes me think "hmmm... maybe not." (But don't get me wrong, I think extremism is necessary in films... and any film that conveys the true horror of rape is worthwile, I guess)

*Shudder* Maybe not. :no:

I like films to challenge me. I like films of all type. I even like films that portray all types of things. I love foreign films because they are more likely not to whitewash stuff or water them down. The foreign film enviroments are very different from the enviroment of Hollywood. And anyway, I think some of the NC-17 Japanese anime have Irreversible beat when it comes to extremes.

Be Seeing you,

David Blackwell

Guest se7en

...I'm finding the independent U.S. movie scene to be almost where it was was 10-15 years ago. that is to say challenging and thought provoling. I don't like,on the whole,films that shock just because they can. the best foriegn language film i have seen this year is a mexican horror/suspense movie called "The Devil's Backbone". it takes place during WWII at a orphanage and involves the murder of a child there. REALLY good film. rented it off of "NETFLIX" around 3-months ago.

~se7en :ouro:

... the best foriegn language film i have seen this year is a mexican horror/suspense movie called "The Devil's Backbone".  it takes place during WWII at a orphanage and involves the murder of a child there. REALLY good film. rented it off of "NETFLIX" around 3-months ago.

~se7en :ouro:

Ah, Del Toro. The Devil's Backbone Special edition DVD comes out on July 27 on the same day as the most recent Del Toro directed movie hits DVD (Hellboy).

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines