The X-File Interactive Episode

Rate this topic

Hi guys,

I was reading an old edition of SFX from 1996 yesterday when an interesting piece caught my eye. It mentioned that when the current series (I assume Season 4) of the X-Files came to an end with its twenty fourth episode a twenty fifth episode would be broadcast online. It states that the episode would be a fully interactive story with Fox hoping that this would lead to a whole new way of storytelling. I don't recall ever hearing of this before and whilst I did wonder if this episode became the first X-Files PC game but I do believe that was released in 1995, a year earlier.

Does anyone know what happened to this episode or at least the plans for it?

Best wishes,

Eth

Thanks Laran,

I shall scan it a little later on if you like. Whilst it doesn't say much more than I have posted it is an intriguing concept and I would love to know more about it. The only other thing I know was that the intention was that the viewer would be representing an FBI Agent assisting Mulder and Scully in the episode's adventure. If anyone will know anything about this I'm guessing Zeus might be able to fill us in on the details.

Best wishes,

Eth

EDIT Just scanned it.

post-1185-1220803547_thumb.jpg

Guest SeanDubh

Didn't you have something like that for an episode of Doctor Who over there in the U.K.? Using your television remotes? Red buttons or something?

I agree that that is a really interesting idea and it would have been really cool. Wish they'd gone through with it...

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that!

The XF game was released early 1998, despite it taking place during late season 3 (1996). Given the long time these things take to produce, it is possible it was in the planning stages in 1996, when your article was written. What your article describes must be early talks at Fox. Perhaps this was the initial concept, later changed to a conventional game on CD-ROM. Considering the lack of broadband at the time, the change was not a bad idea!

Hi all,

My assumption was the same that the proposed interactive episode labored under its own complexities and the technological capabilities of its time and became the rather wonderful XF Game. The description in SFX does seem to support the notion as the XF Game did indeed use the format of an Agent in a supportive role to Mulder and Scully and to be honest I have played it sooooo many times I have grown rather fond of Willmore and Astadourian. I know the game does state that the 'date' is somewhere in the month of April 1996 which is around the time the article was written but the only thing that confuses me is why the game is so heavily placed within Season Three when the Virtual Episode was said to take place at the conclusion of Season Four.

I guess we'll never know.

Eth

PS The 'Who' episode you mention Sean is called 'Attack of the Graske' and it is just brilliant. I believe it is possible to download the interactive version of it though I know not where. I was given a promotional DVD of it from a friend at the BBC and I am more than willing to mail a copy of it to you if you like? It is in PAL format so I'm not sure if that would cause a problem but it's yours if you wish?

Guest SeanDubh

Aw, that's really sweet of you eth, but I don't think it'd play on my ntsc region 1 dvd player... A video clerk friend of mine is a big Who buff and the next time I see him he's promised to hook me up with a bunch of hard to find [at least stateside] Who goodies and dubbed tapes and if Attack of the Graske is among them I'll tell you what I think. Sounds like a scream though!

Eth, article writers often make up details when the information they have in their hands is incomplete. If Fox had said that it was going to go online "next year", then it would have made sense to have it taking place during the season that was airing simultaneously.

As to why they made it taking place in s3, well since it's based on the mythology of the show and this was being made up as the show progressed, the writers/producers could not write a script for the game taking place 2 years ahead of present time or whatever the amount of time was necessary to produce the Willmore & Astadourian adventure.

Just some theories.

There were talks of a sequel afterward though. By 2000 it might have more likely to make an online game than in 1996, I would have loved to see Craig Willmore, FBI, once more.

Guest Laurent.

The first game is awesome and merits its place in the franchise... I haven't played the second game, but from what I've heard it's a much more typical (bad) adaptation of tv to games.

Anyway, without further information I think Orodromeus' supposition is reasonable.

• 1 year later...
Guest WaveCrest

I think the first PlayStation X Files game was supposed to have been the 25th episode of the fourth season. I remember reading something about that.

I enjoyed the FMV game, although I never completed it as I got stuck on the Arctic base level (the character Willmore kept getting killed by Scully). I wish they had done a second FMV X Files game, but the FMV games haven't always been popular. Several FMV games were released in the early 90's (such as Mad Dog McCree 1 & 2, and Who Shot Johnny Rock?).

It would be great if a FMV Millennium game was made.