The Covenant and Midnight of the Century

Rate this topic

Guest paranoid eyes

Guest paranoid eyes

I have read some debates on those episodes and I have never seen this posted by anyone, so don't hate me if I turn out to be the hundred person to start this topic. Anyway: in the Covenant the husband makes an angel statue for his wife before he discovers that she stabbed herself to dead before killing their children because she believed them to be angels. In MOTC we learn that Frank's father gave an angel to his wife before she looked herself in a room and die. We also learn that her gift made her see angels. Is this an implication that the wife- can't remember her name – in Covenant also had this gift and it was the reason or one of the reasons, she went crazy. I am not sure if I like this explanation- that is I would be disappointed if all the pathological behavior we have seen in season 1 was caused by supernatural phenomena rather than mental problems- but it can't hurt to discuss the topic.

Guest ZeusFaber

I don't think I've ever seen a topic like this before, so no worries there.

To address your point, if you're talking about authorial intension, then the answer is most definitely "no."

But if you're talking about a retroactive fan interpretation after the fact, then I suppose the sky's the limit.

• 2 months later...

Having watched both episodes recently... as a matter of fact I just finished Midnight of the Century 1.5 minutes ago, I would have to agree that there was no intention that the wife in Covenant had the same issues with Linda Black, Frank's mom.

At the time of Covenant I think the writers were firmly telling stories based on humankind's behaviors and problems creating massive evil. It has ties to several events where women, usually religious moral people, have snapped and murdered their children and just like in the episode people struggle to find out why.

I think it speaks to that phenomena and not the supernatural happenings that happen in Season Two.

Guest RodimusBen

Come to think of it, there were also important angel statues in "Anemnesis" and "Monster." This was more than just a recurring theme, but I think that the instance in season 1 was just a coincidence... you know, it being season 1 SKOTW and all.