X-Files 3 is up to CC, GA and DD

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

I'm surprised no one has posted this news yet! Very interesting:

The interview can be found here.

IESB: X-Files, truthfully, I'm a huge X-Files fan, I was a bit disappointed with the new film. It didn't feel like an X-Files movie, but I hope to god, I know there's an idea that Chris [Carter] had about the 2012 mythology of the X-Files, the alien colonization, any chance we'll see X-Files 3?

TR: It's really up to Chris, David [Duchovny] and Gillian [Anderson].

IESB: The second one wasn't an expensive film.

TR: No, but it wasn't a matter of the money, that was the film that Chris wanted to do. He was determined to do a stand alone film, a film that wasn't dependent upon the mythology. His interest in making the movie, was in the characters and in their relationship, not the mythology.

Comment from Mr. Spotnitz:

I was encouraged to read Tom Rothman's remarks as well. I anticipated the studio would wait until after the release of the DVD to make any decision regarding a third movie, but I will let you know if we end up having any news before then.

Very promising!

Donkeyjote shared this with those of us who can see it in the Campaign forum yesterday and the question struck me as a little misguided then. Surely the best way to show your support for a third movie and encourage Fox executives to share that enthusiasm is not by beginning the question by noting how disappointed you were with the last film?

Still all good news for Philes I guess.

Eth

Guest ZeusFaber

We need to hope Rothman puts the studio's money where his mouth is, and that it's not just empty talk for the public face.

Surely the best way to show your support for a third movie and encourage Fox executives to share that enthusiasm is not by beginning the question by noting how disappointed you were with the last film?

Good point! I was freaked out by that sentence a little bit. :ranting:

Guest Laurent.
We need to hope Rothman puts the studio's money where his mouth is, and that it's not just empty talk for the public face.

It does seem like he was in a "please everybody" mode... he never dismissed any possibility for future movies. According to this interview, there does not seem to be a single dead franchise at FOX!

Guest Laurent.

ScreenRant.com (the site seems to have some trouble right now) published the news we were just talking about. They seem to have put an even more optimistic twist to it!

When The X-Files: I Want To Believe bombed this past summer at the U.S. box office it looked like the end of the sci-fi franchise. However the film has grossed a pretty decent $70 million worldwide off of a modest budget of $30 million, so it is firmly in the column marked profit. All this and the DVD sales haven’t even been factored in yet.

Now Fox head Tim Rothman has stated that he’d be up for a third film in the series, and all that it will take for the film to get a green light is commitment from Chris Carter, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.