The Carter Conundrum

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

Guest betweenthelines

I was reading the X-Files forum on Television Without Pity when I came across this lengthy piece on Chris Carter. Very long but very fascinating.

https://www.the11thhour.com/archives/052000...es/carter1.html

https://www.the11thhour.com/archives/062000...sandwongs1.html

https://www.the11thhour.com/archives/072000...tures/zen1.html

ETA: this was written not long before "The X-Files" entered its eighth season. So if you're looking for a very recent article on Carter or the show, maybe you should try searching somewhere else.

Edited by betweenthelines

Guest Laurent.

It is very fascinating. I just don't like how they try to show that Morgan&Wong are so much better writers/directors/producers than Chris Carter. I compare I Want to Believe with any of M&W last films and that gives me all the proof I need that the Wongs are not that great on their own. Then I compare season 1 of Millennium with season 2, seasons 1-4 of The X-Files vs seasons 6,7,9 and I realize that 1013 shows are not as exceptional when they are not working as a team. I think that the brilliance of both The X-Files and Millennium was that 1013 were an incredible team of writers and directors! They made great work together!

But like I said, when it comes to movies, I'll take a Carter film over a M&W film anytime. And season 8 of The X-Files was better than season 2 of Millennium (that's right! I said it!)!!!

P.S. The writer is pretty harsh with Millennium:

Millennium's pilot episode had gotten incredible ratings -- people were obviously determined that this time they would get in on the ground floor of a new trend. Then they noticed it was a grim, darkly lit, and seemingly endless revue of serial killers, who were being tracked down by this depressed middle-aged man who was perhaps not quite as attractive as Mulder and Scully. Okay, so maybe that's a bit shallow. But the lack of sex interest aside, there didn't seem to be much happening there, other than grisly deaths and endless monologues. Still, there was something oddly appealing to some people about the somber brooding mood of it all. You had to give Carter credit for trying something new. And then note in passing that he had no idea what to do with it.

• Elders (Admins)

Yeah, that's total bollocks! :ranting: It makes me mad when I see rubbish like that.

Carter had total insight I'm sure of what he wanted to do with Millennium from day one, even to writing it for Lance in mind. He wanted to highlight the work done by the real Academy Group and base a show on what they did and how they got to their end conclusions. Whether you like what the replacement show runners did with it in S2 whilst he was gone for the X-Files movie or not, it doesn't mean he didn't have a clue on how to proceed with the series.

Incidentally to anyone interested, we have a collection of interviews in our episode and credits guide, you can find them here.

Oh, I used to read some articles from that site (11th Hour) and they were so ridiculously anti-Carter and pro-M&W that it wasn't even funny!

I totally agree with Laurent that 1013 team was always at its best when they were working together! I've seen all recent M&W movies and sadly I have to agree that they're not as good as any of XF or MM episodes written by them. Not to mention that all their recent movies were remakes... Well, Final Destination was superb but I've read it was originally considered as an X-Files episode LOL

And I always believed that so-called "feud" between CC and M&W was totally exaggerated. It was so cool seeing CC and Glen Morgan together at PaleyFest early this year and it looked like they really respect each other and acknowledge the work they did together. No signs of any mythical "feud".

The truth is 1013 team during its early years was a dream-team. CC, M&W, FS, Howard Gordon, Gilligan, Shiban -- together they did magic (under CC's leadership) and I'm not sure any of them alone will be able to achieve the same level of creative perfection. As they say in X-Files episode "Max," "...there's no substitute for perseverance and hard work... and teamwork because no one gets there alone." Well, sadly they are all by themselves right now. It's like one of the greatest rock bands broke up. :)

Hm... Now I feel very nostalgic LOL

I had read those lengthy articles back then as well. Though they do make some interesting connections (as in, seeing-conspiracies-everywhere connections!), them choosing sides so blatantly for M&W against Carter discredits them. Indeed Carter was much more mediatised than M&W. Indeed Carter started writing humor (Syzygy) after Darin Morgan's critical and popular success. Indeed they had creative differences, in MM (s2) and in XF (s2, s4), which resulted in them moving away from each other -- that's not uncommon. Creative people have big egos and devoted followers, both Carter and M&W fit that description. But M&W were not much more experienced than Carter when XF was launched, they were not the real bosses behind Carter, and their feud has become more of a fandom myth than genuine memory. I was really glad as well to see all these people together in the Paley Festival! Now, the M&W duo has broken up (Wong is handling "Dragon Ball", another project of very dubious quality, alone; Morgan was on the cancelled Bionic Woman) and the Carter & Spotnitz duo has consolidated. Still, these articles are a good read -- and reveal the need for a real work of journalism that would set some truths straight -- for a "X-Files: 30 years after" documentary?

Edited by Orodromeus

• Elders (Moderators)

The writer of those articles is "pisher" – the screen name of someone called Christopher Lyons. He posts on the IWTB board over at imdb as "clyons". He is well known in various areas on the internet as a CC-hater, and has been banned from some.

He is intelligent and articulate, and rather nasty. It might be worth people having a look at his postings on imdb to get an impression of how little he's changed since he wrote those 11th Hour articles. But I wouldn't advise getting into any discussion with him.

However, I would advise anyone reading pisher/clyons to bear in mind that he is not very informative as he has a single agenda in anything he writes about CC.

Guest Laurent.
The writer of those articles is "pisher" – the screen name of someone called Christopher Lyons. He posts on the IWTB board over at imdb as "clyons". He is well known in various areas on the internet as a CC-hater, and has been banned from some.

He is intelligent and articulate, and rather nasty. It might be worth people having a look at his postings on imdb to get an impression of how little he's changed since he wrote those 11th Hour articles. But I wouldn't advise getting into any discussion with him.

However, I would advise anyone reading pisher/clyons to bear in mind that he is not very informative as he has a single agenda in anything he writes about CC.

Yeah I hate that guy! I was trying to have a discussion with him on the IMDB message board for IWTB and he just kept using random insults and denigration. But he does not seem to use any arguments besides the low box-office numbers of the movie. Why does he hate CC so much? He posts like 5 times a day over there, and he obviously has been doing this since at least 7 years (by the date of the article)... I asked him about his motivation, but he didn't answer... I can't (under)stand this guy!

Anyway, about Carter not giving credit to Randy Stone for his brilliant casting choices: that's not really an argument now as IWTB was dedicated to him, and they stated clearly that it was because he was the one who brought Anderson and Duchovny to CC. I also think that the old X-Files team seemed pretty comfortable together at the paley fest. I agree that articles like the one posted at 11th hour have exaggerated things way too much!

Oh and I'm sad to hear that M&W are now working separately... especially now that I know that Wong is behind the Dragon Ball adaptation (just saw the trailer like two days ago and I'm not impressed; it looks awful)!!

Hehe, I remember that crazy dude, too! He used to post on Haven (under clyons nickname) and he seemed quite insane. I always wonder why does he hate CC? It's like CC is his arch-nemesis LOL

As for M&W separation, I hope it's just a temporary thing. After all they've been together since school!

Interesting that he seems to be popping up everywhere -- all these members have come across him in all these places! There are people consumed by their hate like this. I have heard that the Haven has been repeatedly hacked by the same person over and over again (I think 3 times in the last year only!), somebody who seems to have a personal grudge against Gillian Anderson (I hope I'm not spreading false rumours here).

As for M&W separation, I hope it's just a temporary thing. After all they've been together since school!

Well, the Monty Python were very tight for some time and then split. :oneeyedwinK I don't know if M&W separated on good terms or not.