"That is such a lie."

Rate this topic

Guest RodimusBen

Guest RodimusBen

SPOILERS for "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" and later episodes.

I was not a huge fan of Emma Hollis; I didn't actively hate her but she didn't really enhance Millennium's season 3 much for me either. But one time I really took her side was in "Saturn Dreaming of Mercury" when Frank refused to tell her what he and Jordan saw. Throughout the season he seemed to have been insulating her from the bigger truths of Millennium's mythology, specifically the Group and Legion, but the main reason for that was so that everyone at the FBI didn't think he was crazy. But by this point, she was in his corner, having been exposed to truths that everyone at the FBI was skeptical of. To me, it didn't make any sense at this point for Frank to keep her in the dark about Legion.

I have to wonder, too, if Emma might have felt more loyalty toward Frank in the last few episodes of the season, had he been more forthcoming and honest with her once she at least had an open mind.

• Elders (Admins)
I didn't actively hate her but she didn't really enhance Millennium's season 3 much for me either.

That's exactly how I would describe my reaction to the character of Emma Hollis too.

I have to wonder, too, if Emma might have felt more loyalty toward Frank in the last few episodes of the season, had he been more forthcoming and honest with her once she at least had an open mind.

I'd agree with that thought too, but I can understand why he chose to keep some elements to himself. He wouldn't have lasted long in front of the FBI's occupational health shrinks had he gone around talking of offers from evil, so I would say he would put his need to be a good father first, especially with Catherine's parents hot on his heels concerning Jordan's welfare.

Guest RodimusBen

Part of the reason I posed this question is just because of the sheer desperation and frustration in Emma's voice when she asks Frank to tell her what he and Jordan had seen. And "that is such a lie" was delivered with a contempt that she had not expressed to that point. I think Emma envied Frank's ability as an investigator; not having the gift herself, she could only see the benefits of it rather than the drawbacks-- the life of turmoil that was forced upon Frank and would likely be forced upon Jordan.

I think the line was delivered with a mix of realization that after a period of months in which she was grasping in the dark, trying to comprehend the level of understanding that Frank had about the nature of evil, that she would never actually be able to reach his level; and worse, that he was denying her the knowledge. I can understand Frank's motivation in doing this, but I can equally understand where Emma was coming from.

• 1 month later...

I think that Frank's refusal to tell Emma about what he and Jordan had seen also played a role in Emma's being receptive to the offer from the Millennium Group.

As I watched it I kept saying to myself, "You're shutting her out!"\

After all, in a way she had a right to know as she was intimately involved in the events of Antipas and I think she could have handled something of the truth.

I can see Frank's motivation, but I also think he should have opened the door for her at least a bit.

(BTW, maybe I'm in the minority here, but I liked Emma's character and I thought she was a good partner for Frank.)

• 1 month later...
Guest bluestocking

Would she have believed him if he did tell her? And what would she have told the Millennium Group or the FBI shrinks? Look at what Emma saw: a burning house, an "intense" little girl staring at nothing in a burning window and saying, "Do you see it, Daddy?" and Daddy staring at nothing and saying, "Yes, I see it." And Daddy has been hospitalized twice with total nervous breakdowns and mad rantings. I could see someone at FBI dismissing Jordan's visions as childhood schizophrenia, particularly since she has a documented history of mental illness in the family. The Millennium Group would say that Frank is misinterpreting things and Jordan is misinterpreting things because of her father.

Emma's seen things, but not enough to believe Frank entirely and not quite enough not to listen to the Millennium Group explain away Frank and Jordan's visions. I never particularly liked her as a character.

Edited by bluestocking

Guest ZeusFaber

I think Frank was trying to protect Emma more than he was ever trying to protect himself. He saw what all this had done to him -- the knowledge of evil, exposure to the Group, being hounded relentlessly by forces of Legion, taking his wife in the process and in short making him live a life of torment. He didn't want that for Emma. So long as she was outside the circle of knowledge, she was protected from all the harm that came hand in hand with it.

Think of it as allegorical to the Fall from Eden, with Emma in the place of Eve. Before eating from the tree of knowledge, Eve knew no evil. It didn't exist in her world and she was able to live a perfect life in paradise. But as soon as she takes a bite, she releases the knowledge of evil and loses paradise forever. Frank keeping things back from Emma was thus an act of kindness. He knew what this knowledge had done to his life, and he wasn't about to feed Emma that apple.

Guest Laurent.

Thanks Zeus! Best interpretation I've read so far.

P.S. I'm glad to see you more often on the board lately!