Danille Barbakow is affiliated with legion?

Rate this topic

Just re-watching Millennium and finished watching Monster. I went online to see if anything else came up about Danille's "placement" at the end of the episode. After googling it I came across this site and say Danille listed as one of the aspects of Legion. This seems extremely arbitrary to me, she showed none of the common linking factors that other elements of Legion did, and really nothing in the episode other than the odd flashes Frank see's of a demonic creature link her to the other legion aspects. Im just wondering am I missing something or was something further revealed by the writers/etc. ?

• 1 month later...

It all depends on how you define Legion. I'm still new to the Millennium mythos, but some folks automatically add any appearance of the demon icon in an episode to connotate Legion. Some folks see one pervading will behind the manifestations of Legion and others don't. I think the point of the episode is that the child was an incarnation of evil.

How closely that plays into the Legion arc depends on how far you stretch what you consider to be Legion. On the "pro Legion" side you have not only Frank's vision of the Devil, but also Lara Mean's vision of an angel. So its obvious there's a supernatural element driving the events. There's an attempt to entrap Frank, but I don't know if that is really Legion's attempt to get Frank or just the child's attempt to thwart being caught. I would think there is more to it than the child attempting to not get caught because of the "coincidence" of Jordan having a bloody mouth that added credence to Danielle's allegations.

That's stream of consciousness for you. I started out agreeing with you that Monster probably wasn't part of the Legion arc and ended up convincing myself by the end that it was. : )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest bluestocking

Or she's simply an evil child, a bad seed. Here's an even whackier theory. She's played by the same actress who played Emily, Scully's alien hybrid-human daughter in The X-Files. She has no green bulge on the back of her neck but perhaps she's still another of the Emily clones, this time a successful hybrid, implanted in the mother while they were undergoing fertility treatment at the same clinic where Emily was conceived. The Aliens and Legion stories combined in Emily's dead ringer? She went into the system after this episode and probably disappeared into a laboratory not long after that.

Methinks you could come up with some cracking fan fiction with this Bluestocking, there's nothing finer in a little fan exposition after all these years, keeps the stories alive and evolving.

Barbakow is a fascinating character and one which is seldom given the kudos it deserves. In essence, she is the entire reason for Frank and Lara's openness to being drawn further into the inner sanctum of the group. Both are at a stage where they doubt the intentions of the group and still have an uneasy relationship with their respective abilities. I believe Lara muses that they have been sent to investigate this case for a reason, that the cases they are given are not merely the Millennium Group dispatching them to apprehend the culprit but about them discerning some truth or wisdom whilst doing so. In this instance, neither would have been able to bring the case to a satisfactory conclusion had they not had deeper levels of perception, they freely admit this but their gifts allow them to cut through the mists and realise that the child is the one responsible for the deaths. It marks the moment, in my opinion, when Frank and Lara open up to the possibility that developing their gifts and joining the Group are not necessarily things to fear but may serve them with regards to what matters to them, catching the bad guy and making the world safe. The Millennium Group was manipulating them right from their very first case together and, well, we all know the ending now.

Best wishes,

Eth

Guest bluestocking
Methinks you could come up with some cracking fan fiction with this Bluestocking, there's nothing finer in a little fan exposition after all these years, keeps the stories alive and evolving.

Barbakow is a fascinating character and one which is seldom given the kudos it deserves. In essence, she is the entire reason for Frank and Lara's openness to being drawn further into the inner sanctum of the group. Both are at a stage where they doubt the intentions of the group and still have an uneasy relationship with their respective abilities. I believe Lara muses that they have been sent to investigate this case for a reason, that the cases they are given are not merely the Millennium Group dispatching them to apprehend the culprit but about them discerning some truth or wisdom whilst doing so. In this instance, neither would have been able to bring the case to a satisfactory conclusion had they not had deeper levels of perception, they freely admit this but their gifts allow them to cut through the mists and realise that the child is the one responsible for the deaths. It marks the moment, in my opinion, when Frank and Lara open up to the possibility that developing their gifts and joining the Group are not necessarily things to fear but may serve them with regards to what matters to them, catching the bad guy and making the world safe. The Millennium Group was manipulating them right from their very first case together and, well, we all know the ending now.

Best wishes,

Eth

I think you're right about her being the catalyst for Frank and Lara to consider joining the group. Too bad that they both wound up in straitjackets in the mental hospital. I hope Lara eventually got out of there like Frank did and shows up in the movie, if they ever make one. I really liked her as a character.

Considering that Millennium is in the same universe as the X-Files, it would make sense that evil and the aliens would be connected. Why not have Danielle Barbakow as an Emily Sim clone? If I had time, I might write that fan fiction.

I absolutely love Lara Means, dah, and I feel it would be a very big mistake, and extremely disappointing to Millennium fans, if they made a movie and left her out of it. Her character had a powerful impact, both to the fans and to the series' M... group.

Back to the subject of Legion if you all don't mind.

Naturally, "Legion" is taken from the Bible, which is followed by "for we are many," in Mark, and "because many devils were entered into him," in Luke. I looked it up and in the Greek it literally means "a legion, a body of soldiers whose number differed at different times. And, in the time of Augustus seems to have consisted of 6826 men, 6100 foot soldiers, and 726 horsemen." Now that's a lot of Lucy Butlers. :w00t:

Regarding Frank and Lara: "The Millennium Group was manipulating them right from their very first case together..."

Do you think if their deep levels of perception and discernment were stronger that they would have never been manipulated by the group, that they would have discerned it all at the beginning, or is the group too strong for them with its own powers and means of control?

Hi Darlene,

I think that Lara is aware of it from the off. She guesses that the cases are more than simply investigations and that there is a possibility they are being manipulated. In monster she states that "...I'm suspicious about the way that they [THE MILLENNIUM GROUP] go about it. Are we being prepared or used? Why would they send us here on opposite sides without letting us know?.." She echos this sentiment again in Siren and again in Goodbye Charlie, she is fairly cognizant that there is an ulterior motive behind hers and Frank's pairing and behind the cases they are involved in. In Roosters she investigates Watts as she believes he is involved in some duplicitous activities with regards to the infiltration of the Group by Odessa, the girl has savvy, she's a skeptic all the way through. Sadly not skeptical enough as her growing lack of ease with her developing gift causes her to hope that in giving herself over to the Millennium Group she may finally reconcile her abilities once and for all.

The rest is history I guess.

Best wishes,

Eth

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim McLean
Since Legion is essentially just a fan category for all things supernatural, I'd say it's up to the individual.

I would argue its a fan moniker that does describe a particular vein of non-human evil that prevails with consistency throughout season one and then is hinted at in the following seasons.

I certainly agree that many fans pick anything supernatural and place it into the catagory, but also I think there is a specific chain to the Legion arc and to put that in the hands of the fans does a disservice to that arc.

The Legion is arc is very clear in season one. Inhuman evil mooted in Gehenna with iconic devil visuals. Judge brought Frank face to face with this evil he feared existed, that linked back to Gehenna, one that said would meet him again after trying to do a deal with him. This then moves into the trilogy of Legion episodes that start off with Sacrament. This arc fulfils the Judge's promise, and we see Frank being worn down and then passively threatened to take a position with Legion to protect his family (from Legion, as the arc has shown Legion attack his brother's wife, his boss and his Millennium Group associate). The thread seems to be ended on the short term in PPTD. I would say that is the definitive Legion arc.

I would also say that anything therefore with Lucy Butler is Legion arc'd too - common sense. So Saturn Dreaming of Mercury, Antipas and Room with No View are all Legion arc'd. The only final definite is Seven and One - which closes this arc.

There are a couple I'd say are strongly inferred, either by the iconography and content. Curse of Frank Black, again we see the iconic demon and we are talking about higher powers wanting to control Frank Black, and Siren, where we again have the iconic demon and an ethereal testing. Beware of the Dogs, I would also suggest offers links. The use of dogs is very similar to Antipas later on, and again, I would say by definition, if Legion is the manifestation of Evil, that's what Beware of the Dogs is about.

That all being said, puritanically I would say the true Legion arc is only season one, and the rest deal with evil and take the Legion visual motif for consistency. Even Lucy Butler isn't really used as she is season one where she doesn't appear a free agent, but as part of a plan. Her next appearances are - ironically - very individual for a face of a larger evil. Nevertheless, I would say the Legion arc does exist as a definite being in season one and the same Evil carries on in the following seasons, following the rational that the Evil that haunted Frank in season one is still after him.

But no, I don't see Danielle necessarily Legion, though I think the show always followed the mandate of dealing with human evil and a greater evil (which was first mooted in the Legion arc). If we assume rationally this evil is a constant, than yes, she is Legion, but there is nothing I'd say in the episode to clarify that as a certainty. She could simply be a nasty child, but I always felt she was meant to be something darker, more adult, so much so that she was taken into the Group to look after rather than some facility for troubled youth.