MillenniuM comes finally to CD

Rate this topic

SadEyes

• Elders (Moderators)

I asked La-La-Land one year ago about more music from MillenniuM and they replied

There are no plans at this time. We all feel we covered everything.

MV

So, this and the fact, that the CD-Set still isn´t sold out (which means that there weren´t even 2000 buyers) makes me think, that La-La-Land has no interest in releasing another one. I guess "We" means Mark Snow too, so unless he changes his mind, there won´t be another CD-Release and if he does, he may have to look for a new label to publish it first.

Hi there,

Not selling the 2000 copies is something of a shame and a surprise however I'm convinced that at the time of release, Mark indicated that that would be all we were going to get from Millennium as he felt he had gathered together all the tracks he wanted to release into the public domain. I guess the poor sales will mean this is out of his hands now but I'm sure it was always his intention not to release further material from Millennium.

I know he is completing work on the Lone Gunmen and Harsh Realm releases as we speak so at least we have something to look forward to I guess.

Something you might be able to help me with, as this is very much your field of expertise and not mine: does 2000 copies always mean 2000 copies? I ask this because...

a) I know of a few individuals who were given replacement copies of the CD as some received their signed copies with the signature smudged or, in two cases, the linear notes were not printed correctly on all pages of the booklet. I would imagine a number of discs are pressed for eventualities like these in excess of the 2000 limit?

b) Despite all signed copies being sold out fairly early, as I recall, I know some individuals have been given signed copies of the disc almost a year after the supposed sell out date as Mark has a number of these which he has continued to sign for fans.

It makes me wonder if the limits imposed on the release are far more flexible then it first seems which may account for copies still be available?

I might be on the wrong track completely but it's simply thinking aloud.

Eth

Shame I was too late for those signed CDs, and I read on some thread here that he signed more than the advertised amount.

But La La Land records always release in small numbers, and often limited.

I think they do at the maximum 5000 copies for some releases. I may be wrong though.

• Elders (Moderators)

Shame I was too late for those signed CDs, and I read on some thread here that he signed more than the advertised amount.

But La La Land records always release in small numbers, and often limited.

I think they do at the maximum 5000 copies for some releases. I may be wrong though.

Well, that depends on the contracts. La-La-Land, as every smaller Filmmusic-Label, that releases limited editions, is working together with the right-holders, which in the most cases are the movie companies. So, there are contractual issues, that the studio may give out, there are the re-use fees, which have to be paid to the musicians, which dictates the number of copies.

As far as I know, you can do 3000 copies of a movie score on cd and only paying "normal" fees, but if you do more than 3000, you have to pay higher fees or something like that, can´t remember, if I´m totally right with that, but there is something with the 3000-limitation, unless you get a contract, which allows you 5000 or more copies. On the other hand the labels of course are doing their limitations depending on the score, because an obscure, realtively unknown score by a not so well known composer won´t likely sell 5000 copies or more, so 1000 copies will do. Luckily the rules have changed for the re-use fees some years ago, which now also allows more music to be put on unlimited cds by the labels from recent movies, if the label is not part of the studio. Varese Sarabande, for example, did score releases for a long time, that weren´t longer than 30 to 35 Minutes on cd, because of the higher fees, that had to be paid, if you wanted to put more music than 35 minutes on the cd, unless the score was recorded outside the US, then you wouldn´t have had more costs, because this re-use-fees-system only existed in the US. You see, it´s quite difficult.

@Eth I think you´re right, the labels will do more than the limitation is, just because of cases like you mentioned. And yes, Mark Snow signed more than just 100 copies, if I remember correctly they said he did about 500 to 600 booklets.

Did you know that the runtime of the cd is also something to be careful with? Some releases don´t use all the 79 minutes of a cd-running-time, even if they could. The labels only put 70 to 75 minutes on it, because in case that something happens during the cd-production in the factory, like you get playing-errors, the factory has to deal with it and do replacements. If the running time is the full 79 minutes and something like this happens, the label would have to pay themselves for the replacements. So, another thing you should have in mind producing CDs... :oneeyedwinK

• 3 months later...

Really? I can't believe there are any copies left at all. I remember logging on to this board with the other good folks here minutes before they went on sale as we were all eager to ensure we got a signed copy and because we thought sales of these would be brisk. This went on sale at Christmas 2008 right? I'm really surprised it hasn't sold out.

For those in the know with regards to sales of soundtracks how does this compare with expectations for the release? As a know-nothing it looks a bit poor to me.

Eth

• Elders (Moderators)

It´s like I said, the set wasn´t sold out immediately, almost two years after it´s release, there are still some copies left, but I think under the circumstances almost 2000 sold copies aren´t that bad at all, considering that it is a Snow-Score. Unfortunately Mark Snow doesn´t have as much fans, that buy his records, as people like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith have.

For example, most of the latest limited releases (3000 copies) with music by Jerry Goldsmith, were sold out within a few days or a week, his score for "The Boys from Brazil" even sold all 5000 copies, that were produced. The long awaited score release of Alan Silvestri´s music for "Back to the Future" has sold nearly 10000 copies by now, but of course you can´t compare that with Snow´s "MillenniuM"-Music. But I´m sure, that his X-Files-Music will sell very well, because the franchise is just more popular than "MillenniuM".

• 2 months later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

In case you still haven´t bought a copy of Mark Snow´s wonderful music for "MillenniuM", better be quick, because there are only 50 CDs left at La-La-Land, even if it still says "500" on the site.

https://www.lalalandrecords.com/Millennium.html

• Like 1

That's superb news. I had expected it to have sold out a lot earlier if truth is told but am I right in thinking that La la Land doesn't exactly go out of its way to promote the release of its products? When news of The Lone Gunmen release broke, discussion and awareness of it seemed limited to here and a few other forums. II can't recall a great many big-hitters carrying the news of the Millennium CD release either?

Eth

La La Land Records doesn't do hardly any promotion. I'm on their mailing list and didn't hear about it from them. If it wasn't for the MLM Forum telling me about The Lone Gunman/Harsh Realm CD, no telling how long it would have been before I found out. Thank you. :ouroborous: